#03 - 22/08/09 - Celtic 5-2 Saints - SPL

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millar,grainger,gartland and mckay although i would give the latter a game or two at centre half first

Millar wasn't that bad, Grainger was playing the best player in the SPL imo and Mckay was out of position. Remember we were playing a quality team compared to ours.

Enjoyed the game, no matter what the result was.

Millar,grainger,gartland and mckay although i would give the latter a game or two at centre half first
Remember our whole defence did nt look 3rd division never mind 1st at thistle.A few adjustments and they won us the league.Im 100% sure where applicable butts will be kicked and lessons learned.Looking forward to Sunday.Lets see how the jambos play tommorow.

I wasnt there but watched it live, a lot of positives to take, better team 1st 20 mins however we must defend better or any 1 will put 5 past us, thought that last week esp in second half . not may teams will go and attack like that nor score 2 goals at parkhead, however it remains to be seen if many more will lose 5 goals against them.

Temple reports up now.

Didn't think we were the disaster the scoreline will suggest to folk not at the game. Sammy did ok on his own up front but lacked support. Davidson and Morris played well and Millar came onto a better game. Defensively it looked like we might be ok but lost out too much on the flanks - I thought Irvine had a stinker today.

Still I'd rather we lost 5-2 instead of 3-0.

Too simplistic analysis in my opinion.

We stood off them for too long at times and the lapses in defence were pretty disappointing especially conceding two goals in relatively quick succession on two seperate occassions. When we had our tails up we looked like we were competing, that's the disappointing aspect for me.

Thought Sammy put himself about and took his goal well.

Is it not sensible to try and double team on McGeady and or Maloney. You know they are going to try and play the ball down the wings and they are the dangermen. Playing 2 right sided defenders against maloney was surely a sensible thing to do to try and stop the supply of crosses.

No. We are a very good team in our own right and we should have played to our strengths. Mackay is murder in most positions other than right wingback in 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. If Del wanted to play with two right backs, he should have swapped Irvine and Mackay, especially as Irvine is hurting at present. The idea was daft, the outcome was poor. Midgie could have played wide right and and we could have played Deuchar up top.

Too many high balls were played to Sammy's tits and he had nobody to lay the ball off to. Those balls played to Deuchar might have worked if he could flick them on for Sammy. Sammy and Fil didn't link because Fil was playing so deep.

The lack of ball retention in their half killed our defence. Defending starts with the forwards.

Individually; I thought Midgie played very well given his lack of practice, Sammy impressed in the circumstances and Caff had has best game in a Saints shirt. As with the bairns yesterday, if we learn and improve, the humping will do us no harm. Main also had a couple of good stops early doors.

Craig, Moon, Deuchar, Peanut and Savo would all have enhanced the starting XI and it's a great shame that some of them are unavailable.

No. We are a very good team in our own right and we should have played to our strengths. Mackay is murder in most positions other than right wingback in 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. If Del wanted to play with two right backs, he should have swapped Irvine and Mackay, especially as Irvine is hurting at present. The idea was daft, the outcome was poor. Midgie could have played wide right and and we could have played Deuchar up top.

Too many high balls were played to Sammy's tits and he had nobody to lay the ball off to. Those balls played to Deuchar might have worked if he could flick them on for Sammy. Sammy and Fil didn't link because Fil was playing so deep.

The lack of ball retention in their half killed our defence. Defending starts with the forwards.

Individually; I thought Midgie played very well given his lack of practice, Sammy impressed in the circumstances and Caff had has best game in a Saints shirt. As with the bairns yesterday, if we learn and improve, the humping will do us no harm. Main also had a couple of good stops early doors.

Craig, Moon, Deuchar, Peanut and Savo would all have enhanced the starting XI and it's a great shame that some of them are unavailable.

How is the idea daft? because it didnt work? Just because you don't agree with something does not make it daft.

Who would you have dropped out of midfield to play the 3 midfielders that you have listed in the 5. And surely moon would not have done better than Morris and Davidson.

How is the idea daft? because it didnt work? Just because you don't agree with something does not make it daft.

Who would you have dropped out of midfield to play the 3 midfielders that you have listed in the 5. And surely moon would not have done better than Morris and Davidson.

The idea is daft because players shouldn't play out of position. The idea is daft because each team should have one left back, one right back and one goalkeeper. The idea is daft because putting two players on one of 6 great attackers is an equation that disnae add up.

I would have dropped Mackay, and played Dukes.

Midgie-Muzz-Morris-Fil

Dukes-Sammy

Moon is a better player than any other central midfielder at our club but he isn't fit enough to play at the moment. No doubt he will be working hard with our physio and will be back in no time:laugh:

The idea is daft because players shouldn't play out of position. The idea is daft because each team should have one left back, one right back and one goalkeeper. The idea is daft because putting two players on one of 6 great attackers is an equation that disnae add up.

I would have dropped Mackay, and played Dukes.

Midgie-Muzz-Morris-Fil

Dukes-Sammy

Moon is a better player than any other central midfielder at our club but he isn't fit enough to play at the moment. No doubt he will be working hard with our physio and will be back in no time:laugh:

i'm no good enough to play for saints yet lad.

Bit disappointed with the way we played today in all honesty. I don't want us to go to Celtic Park and shut up shop but we were just a bit too open today and Celtic punished us pretty emphatically, missing a few sitters and hitting the woodwork in addition to their goals, with Main also making at least one decent save. Amazed at folk saying we were defensive as we were anything but IMO and that was our problem. We did have the players to trouble them but needed to make sure we stopped Maloney and McGeady first.

Not sure we ever really troubled them too much but their defence, as Mowbray said post-match, must be a concern as they gifted us a few opportunities, none more so than Caldwell's assist for Samuel's goal, although it was a great finish by our man. Morris' goal looked good as well.

The two wide man for Celtic were the real difference and caused us big problems. Thought the Celtic fans were trying too hard to be impressed by Fortune and McDonald didn't really cause us too much bother. Donati pinged some nice passes about and Brown was decent, putting in a great tackle on Morais in the first half and nicking the ball from Grainger in the build up to the fourth. That was the best example of how open we were with Grainger making a run into central midfield and leaving us exposed at the back. Danny Fox looks pretty tricky too and stood up well to the aerial presence of Dave Mackay, who McInnes opted to play on the right of his midfield five. As I've thought with Rangers the last few times we've played them though, both Old Firm teams so a long way from what they were a decade ago.

Celtic fans outside the ground were decent craic and more than willing to point us in the right direction and the actor Brian McCardie was sitting just along from me, another Saint to add to the celebrity list? He's more famous than that Cosgrove bloke anyway!

Rads, it was a defensive system that's probably why folks think we were defensive. As ever, Del appears to be giving off mixed messages. Defensive selection but playing casual and open stuff in the middle of the park the occasionally asking Muzz to drive forward. He needs to stop tinkering. We're good enough to play our own game.

Fair enough. I though both full backs were dire. Basics like standing up and not selling yourself were absent.

You haven't admitted to making a mistake have you? :laugh:

I always admit when I'm wrong.

John the full backs wern`t that good last week either

Going by TV only, Grainger was good in first half last week and acceptable in the second. Biased opinion though as I have been screaming for his signature for about a year now...