Hitchhiking

Fair Maid

Was having a conversation about this the other day. I can't remember the last time I saw a hitchhiker. Someone said it was outlawed. Is it? I remember me and my mates all did it and without fear ( but maybe that was invincible youth & stupidity) Often gave lifts myself once I learned to drive.

Any stories?

Was returning a repaired Camper van to Newtonmore from a Perth dealership and picked up two foreign female hitch-hikers .

Got as far as the straight before the Pitlochry turn off when the exhaust pipe fell off, thus ending the hikers journey .

Crossed a field to get to the red phone box to get the vehicle recovery truck and got chased by two bulls .

Delivered the Camper van a week later (minus hikers )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So many nutters about these days I doubt it's safe, but yes I've picked a few up over the years. Fell asleep on a train years ago from Glasgow to Perth and woke up in Inverness - no trains back till next day and decided to hitch it, got one lift all the way back !!

Edited by Teamwork

• 1 month later...

We had a great system at Stirling U where you walked out the entrance over the road and tried to hitch north for 30 minutes to an hour and if not maybe resorting to the bus. It was usually four of us. The main asset we had was Karen, a very very physically attractive person according to me, the other two, the rest of the Hall of Residence, the student union and the whole campus really including some pervert lecturers. She used to call males boys instead of guys. Initially we stood there all begging for lifts wi the old thumb in the air but that wasn't that great. Then Phil The Pill came up with a genius idea of leaving Karen where she was and suggesting that we three went down the embarkment and lay down so that we weren't seen  He insisted that Karen posed in the way he said and actually started positioning her until she got furious. :laugh:  (Kirsty Wark was at Stirling in these years and we were not exactly championing her view on modern women - we were sexist bampots using Karen to get a lift home)  Anyway we went down the embarkment and lay flat. "C'mon boys flat for Christ's sake" was a comment and males are pretty crude at times so anyway we had a laugh. However the key part was her negotiating skills because the cars and lorrys/vans started to stop very quickly but she had to say things like "They're nice boys really ........ ", "They don't act like that normally .......", "Yes Ronnie needs to buy a new parka, I know he's just attached to that one", "I'm not sure what they're going to with their lives later but ........  ", "No none of them have any infectious diseases ..... ".  To be honest it was very surreal listening to a woman standing talking to passing cars in an attempt to get us home while we were lying down an embarkment, Phil preferring on his back. However it was massively successful and she was loyal enough to refuse lifts where there weren't four potential spaces.

There was no motorway/gual carriageway, the road went through Stirling and Dunblane, and also had to go through Perth so it was all fine for me.