#21 - 26/12/09 - Motherwell 1-3 Saints - SPL

After yesterdays results the teams will go into this match looking for different things. The Well will want to expunge their mauling at Greyskull and we will want to build on our performance against a poor Midden side which was sufficient to claim the points but was not exactly great. The first meeting of the two sides produced four goals and a great game but things have changed considerably since then for us. We have become more secure at the back( Rangers apart) and less prolific in attack. I imagine this will be a tight affair. Motherwell have only picked up 3 points from the last 18 and after a solid start are in danger of being dragged down into the battle to beat the drop along with Aberdeen and the other bottom 6. Should Saints claim the points, and Dundee Utd beat Killie and win their game in hand against Accies, the league will have a definite 8-4 split..

Hopefully for Saints, there will be no new injuries as we are down to the bare bones at the back. That said , the makeshift back four played well enough yesterday so if we have to go with them again I would not be overly concerned. The improvement of Deuchar and the reappearance of Steven Milne and Peter MacDonald against the Buddies were also causes to celebrate and as long as they can stay fit, they will give us some punch and options up front.

Midfield wise we, as always, have a miriad of possible line-ups an I am confident which ever four Del chooses to go with.. Overall I will travel to Fir Park with a decent amount of confidence that, if we stay focused and hungry, we might come away with all three points. If we switch off and lack passion though, we will return with zilch..

Hope the weather does not cause problems and that Saints fans get off their arses and get down to Lanarkshire to give the boys their full and noisey backing in good numbers..

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smith

irvine mackay ando grainger

swankie moon morris craig

peaso deuchar

would like to include savo but peaso and deuchar both earned another start. would obviously have savo come on as a sub at some point.

sticking with moon and morris in the middle, tempted to throw muzz back in but i cant justify it.

swankie and craig in for millar and morais, both are better defensively and carry a good threat going forward, morais was poor yesterday.

ando for gartland

Little point writing any instructions for Del, nevertheless...

Smith

Irvine-Mackay-Garters-Craig

Swankie-Moon-Morris-Morais

Doc-Peaso

If Peaso is out, Ando goes to left back, Craig forward and Morais up front

We need to be cut throat, they are down in the dumps and won't be looking forward to our visit. Keep the ball on the "pitch" and we'll run rings around them. Of course it might be an idea to play poorly in the first half so that Jimmy G disnae change his team at half time. Lull them into a false sense of security and destroy in the second 45. C'mon Del, just listen for once...

Is there no trains on boxing day for this?

No I don't think so...

I just called the Saints club Dunkeld road and they have 9 seats left on the supporters bus for the game.

£8 members/£10 non members ..leaving at 12.30 I think, although I cannae remember now, it may be 1pm:shock: Dementia strikes again..

Phone number is..01738 442022..

Also a bus going from here...

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/vforum/showthread.php?t=11855

Seats left I think..

Don't think so mate.

As for the game, i think they will shaft us.

I do like festive football though. Good banter and a couple of glasses of orange juice.

Ye of little optimism. Motherwell have not won a game in 6. 3 draws then 3 defeats in a row up to the weekend. Last win 31st October against Hearts.

I'm optimistic but will take a point from that lot there. More important not to get injuries and/or suspensions for the home game against Hibees then away to Falkirk.

Think a draw wouldnt be a bad result in this one, think we were relegated the last time we plaed there in the league even though we won, and we had that great night in the Scottish cup with Peaso and jason getting the goals, moreof the same would be warmly recieved

Hope the weather isnt too bad, to let a decent away crowd down!!