#25 - 30/01/10 - Saints 1-0 Hearts - SPL

You have actually just said what I was saying. He did get it right today but it was the first time since he came back into the team. The problem is is that it is a very high risk strategy.

Someone said his positioning is good but once today he ended up at left back after a corner. Another time Mackay came across to cover and its basic for a full back to then tuck in to cover the centre back but irvine went to lend a hand. However all of that was in the first half and credit it where its due he had a good second half. I just hope the improvement continues.

He was at left back because Danger went missing. He prevented a goal scoring opportunity by doing so. He's just getting his confidence back after injury and McInnes stupidly ignoring him; the improvement will keep coming. He is an excellent player who will move onto bigger and better things.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was at left back because Danger went missing. He prevented a goal scoring opportunity by doing so. He's just getting his confidence back after injury and McInnes stupidly ignoring him; the improvement will keep coming. He is an excellent player who will move onto bigger and better things.

Your a cnut and I rarely agree with you:laugh::laugh: but tonight Gordy boy, you are 100% correct.

Only our 3rd league clean sheet of the season...Gary Irvine, I salute you:D

Del never ignored him, he had a player playing at right back who was playing well, irvine did what he had to and bide his time until he got the chance.

Solid performance and we got the job done, well done. We've come a long way since the 1st Division.

I remain unconvinced by the full backs. Being honest they weren't tested at all today and wont have an easier afternoon this season in the SPL.

Maybe not so much on here but on Pie & Bovril, I've seen a bit of criticism of Milne but I thought he worked their backline really well in the second half although agree he's maybe missing that extra yard of pace at the moment. He's maybe lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal but he's still contributing and I thought has been doing alright. He made a big impact along with Craig off the bench at Motherwell, had a brilliant stepover to create Craig's second at Forfar and obviously played his part in winning the penalty last week. He really stretched that Hearts defence in the second half today with the sort of movement that only a fit Jackson can replicate. I do agree him and Deuchar aren't the most effective pairing though as they struggle to link, similarly to the problem he had with Holmes last season.

Agree with most that the first half was pretty scrappy and reminded me of a lot of the First Division games from this time last year but I felt we stepped it up a bit after the break and Hearts improved too, although in their case, they couldn't get any worse. I don't think Smith even had a cross to catch in the first half? We maybe didn't force Kello into a string of wonder saves but we tested him enough during the match to merit the points, although our profligacy in front of goal was worrying, especially when you see the scramble at the end. Maybe missed Morris' calming influence in the first half but Moon and Davidson ensuring he wasn't missed after the break and how encouraging is it to see two players of that age running things in the centre of the park for us? Morais adds that bit of spark and Millar continues to show why he's one of our best players. Centre backs were rarely troubled but was happy to see the two full backs prove some folk wrong, myself included in the case of Irvine. Still felt he was a bit too eager to pass the ball on in the first period but was much more composed after the break and generally handled a very good player in Driver well. Thought Grainger was very good at both ends of the park.

I hope Sheridan does well for us but you'd think on your home debut, you'd expend a little more energy, no? Fans will generally forgive a lot if you are seen to be bursting a gut but he didn't give off that impression and made the wrong decision when in possession a number of times.

Wednesday night will be interesting. I usually say something along the lines of if the opposition play to their best, it won't matter what we do but the gap is now smaller between ourselves and Rangers and maybe you just need a bit of blind optimism in a cup semi-final. If we can get past Rangers, you'd really have to fancy our chances of winning this first trophy. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new centre back signed before the match but does he change things? Maybe depends who the player is. As things stand, I think it'll be the same back four and Morris and Millar are nailed on to start in midfield. I think he'll go for Davidson over Moon but if anything it's maybe even tighter between Craig and Morais, who will offer different attributes. Morais was really poor at Ibrox before Xmas and although he will work back, he still doesn't really know how to defend, so I suspect he might go with Craig and save Morais as the impact player. Surely it'll be two from MacDonald, Milne and Deuchar up top? I'd guess MacDonald was rested today with Wednesday in mind but he likes Deuchar and Milne will suit the wide open spaces of Hampden.

Final points would be that was a nice touch giving Sheerin a few moments on the park as I suspect they could be his last in a Saints shirt. Brilliant servant to the club and what a left peg. Also, a good 1,800 Hearts fans I'd guess but they were very subdued, not that their team gave them much to shout about.

when the good doc scored i failed to spot his celebration, did he dedicate it to his kid with a "rock the baby" celebration?

does anyone one see us improving on our performances and become a dominating team again where we will see european football back in perth, and making us the better option for good players to come to?

Christian Nade = still a Donkeeeey. :laugh:

Michael Stewart = Absolute Wanker. Dived off the ball to get Gartland booked, clear dissent and total overreaction to Liams challenge (yes it was a bad challenge, but no need for the 'stamp' action), needs to calm the fcuk down its only a game. And he has ginger hair. Total prick of a man. :mad:

Del never ignored him, he had a player playing at right back who was playing well, irvine did what he had to and bide his time until he got the chance.

With hindsight, he had an out of position centre back, making a balls of playing right back. We now have that centre back playing brilliantly in his best position and Irvine back in the team in his best position and we are starting to look solid. Bad news is Dinky's back in three or four weeks....

Final points would be that was a nice touch giving Sheerin a few moments on the park as I suspect they could be his last in a Saints shirt. Brilliant servant to the club and what a left peg.

I'm not sure what your getting at. He's got an agreement that he can leave at any time. I don't think there's any significance today. It was just regular time-wasting.

With hindsight, he had an out of position centre back, making a balls of playing right back. We now have that centre back playing brilliantly in his best position and Irvine back in the team in his best position and we are starting to look solid. Bad news is Dinky's back in three or four weeks....

Did you just get a knock back from someone again and are now looking for an arguement or are the happy pills wearing off. You have come on and posted quickly on 3 different topics, saying:

Del will get the midfield wrong and the strikers right for wed and we will lose

Players will be sick that Del has wasters like Sheridan and Sheerin get on before may

Del played mackay out of position for weeks

On your first point, I would suggest its the centre back pairing that is making us solid.

On your second point, there is proof we dont always disagree. :laugh: