Would you sacrifice SPL status to win the Scottish Cup

SingaporeSaint

Would you sacrifice SPL status to be Scottish Cup winners  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A follow on from another thread that went slightly off topic but posed an interesting question that I feel will split our opinions.

I feel that we have had many seasons in the SPL that have meant nothing to anyone apart from Saints fans. A Scottish Cup win would carve our name in history. I for one would swap going down to be Scottish Cup winners.

Edited by SingaporeSaint

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How anyone could sacrifice an SPL place for a cup is beyond me.

On past evidence we've had the SPL before and will do so again. The Scottish Cup is far more prestigious than half a dozen seasons in the bottom half. It also freshens things up to play small local teams that struggle to reach this level.

Good thread mate . Definitly a yes from me , infact i think i would almost rather win the scottish cup from a lower league . Some of my fondest memories following saints have been the atmosphere at the giant killings , rangers dundee utd motherwell etc , either way i dont think a cup win is TOO unrealistic for us in the next few years.

Has there ever been a team that got relegated and won the Cup?

Generally speaking the better your overall season the more likely you are to have a good Cup run with a few exceptions. For example United had a good season, Hearts did when they won the Cup. So I would go for a top six finish and a Cup victory as being our greatest season - achievable.

Has there ever been a team that got relegated and won the Cup?

Generally speaking the better your overall season the more likely you are to have a good Cup run with a few exceptions. For example United had a good season, Hearts did when they won the Cup. So I would go for a top six finish and a Cup victory as being our greatest season - achievable.

A cliche but the luck of the draw plays a massive part in any Cup win. In my lifetime we have always drawn the strongest team available in any semi final. And then even in some of those we have been desperately unlucky. I don't think Gretna played a SPL team until the final in 2006, same for Hearts when they won it in 1998.

We have had sides more than capable of winning it (and arguably have one now) but our luck needs to change for it to happen.

It took us 7 years to get out of that hell there is no way that anything other than league status should be our priority.

It would be super to win the cup and have the monkey off our back by grabbing a piece of silverwear but the level headed pragmatist in me says no comparison.

Dundee United in 1995?

In England Middlesbrough got to both cup finals, lost both, and were relegated.

United won the cup in 94 and were relegated in 95 IIRC.

In England, cup finalists being relegated has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years.

as you can see, all the basic glory hunters have got on this topic immediately, grasping desperately with both hands at some silverware, regardless if the club gets relegated and stays in division one for 25 years as they have lost out on the income to attract better quality players and a manager, back room staff.

Long trips up north, with small crowds, never on TV, that quick fix, that one day out traded.

I say I hope it happens and the club goes down, cos that would be taken by 50% of fans. 3 years later watch the unrest on the forum, aye but the names still on the cup?

Anyway, nice to see the sensible posters later on confirming the league, at the highest level possible is the bread n butter of a club with the potential like saints, that if they can continue to improve will no doubt get a bit of both.

as you can see, all the basic glory hunters have got on this topic immediately, grasping desperately with both hands at some silverware, regardless if the club gets relegated and stays in division one for 25 years as they have lost out on the income to attract better quality players and a manager, back room staff.

Long trips up north, with small crowds, never on TV, that quick fix, that one day out traded.

I say I hope it happens and the club goes down, cos that would be taken by 50% of fans. 3 years later watch the unrest on the forum, aye but the names still on the cup?

Anyway, nice to see the sensible posters later on confirming the league, at the highest level possible is the bread n butter of a club with the potential like saints, that if they can continue to improve will no doubt get a bit of both.

Well said squire.