Scotland squad

Davey

i agree with what Lvein is doing. the national team does not get together a lot so if we were changing formation constantly it would not help the team.

we've seen what sticking to the 442 formation has done to saints.

with scotland we are going to come up against bigger teams where we have to play 1up so then when we come up against the smaller teams we should be acomplished in playing the 451 that we should beat them.

Also we do not have an abundance of strikers but plenty of good midfielders so it makes sense

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with what Lvein is doing. the national team does not get together a lot so if we were changing formation constantly it would not help the team.

we've seen what sticking to the 442 formation has done to saints.

with scotland we are going to come up against bigger teams where we have to play 1up so then when we come up against the smaller teams we should be acomplished in playing the 451 that we should beat them.

Also we do not have an abundance of strikers but plenty of good midfielders so it makes sense

Spot on 541, that is the system stick with it. why can't people see that 451 is a flexible system that allows a 433, if your team has the ball for long periods, which should certainly be the case on Saturday.

Most international teams play 1 up front, most ELP teams play 1 up front, but Scotland is full of boneheaded fans who consider 1 up front equivalent to 'defensive football'. all about opinions, I suppose!

Edited by Smarmy Arab

I was worried about the Czech game tonight and thankfully Spain did what they do well. They made it look easy.

I don't know what the team will finally be but they'll obviously have to have a go , 2-0 would be good then close shop but it could also be very tight and the end with say a draw. In theory we should beat them even if the game at Hampden gave us a fright.

Scotland team to face Liechtenstein: McGregor, Hutton, Caldwell, Berra, Bardsley, Fletcher, Bannan, Morrison, Adam, Naismith, Mackail-Smith.

Taken off the SFA website, and you probably all already know the team, but being a complete technophobe, I'm just proud of myself that I was able to copy and paste it!

And no Swandive - what a shame!

Edited by NUSaintee

Nothing odd about it! Dundee United have been 3rd and 4th in each of the last two seasons, once you have selected from the OF and Herts (if you can find any Scotsmen at those clubs) you go to the next best performing team....United! Fit and on his game Swanson is a gifted player who can turn games with his quick feet and quick thinking. Right now Swanso is bossing games every week in the SPL and the question is, if not Swanson then who?....

chris burke

Not strictly about the squad, so I apologise in advance, but about the game so more on topic than a lot of posts (particularly the Del to Bristol City thread) but William ill are offering only 14/1 for Spain to win 5-0!

That doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence, tbh. Especially to qualify for the finals.

Pat Nevin never fails to amuse me. Before game he said " I think if scotland play well an spain take there foot off the gas we have a chance". After the game "we always knew spain were going to win this one".

An he gets paid to talk pish like that!!

Infuriating to watch. We played like a team terrified to get close to them. They always have a pass on becuase teams back off so much. Our full-backs got sucked into the middle of defence leaving wingers completely free on both sides to run in with the ball. Go stand next to the free man - they can't pass to him then. If you all huddle in a ball in front of the keeper of course they are going to be able to hit 100 passes in a row. I expected a few bookings by half time but we never even came close to putting a tackle in. We looked good with the ball but never had anyone in there doing enough to win it back. We were defeated by the sheer thought of how good spain are.