North Stand....Should it stay or should it go?

Jimmy Wallace

North Stand - Stay or Go  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the longevity of the club then yes go for it, as long as there is something adequate put in its place. Maybe even something a little different that no other Scottish club has (not sure what though). Like others I foresee the away fans being located in the Ormond stand, as well as the Scoreboard being relocated up that end too. You never know though, done correctly this could actually bring a little life back to McDiarmid in a strange sort of way.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would agree with most being said on this thread tbh. McD rarely gets a crowd of over 7,000 never mind 10,000 so is there much need for the north stand. If it does go ahead, i would like to see terracing in replace of the stand but i'm not sure if this is legal or not? Anyone able to clear this issue up?

I have been in the north stand twice ,once for a rugby match Scotland v Japan?which resulted in a record win for the Scots and the second time was for the Elton John concert and I suspect that that may have been the last time the ground was completeley full! Actually it may be that concerts like that would become a thing of the past without it, however since there has only ever been the one it's not really a reason to turn down the cash!

Like some others I think there may be a long game going on here and a future move may be on the cards!

Would agree with most being said on this thread tbh. McD rarely gets a crowd of over 7,000 never mind 10,000 so is there much need for the north stand. If it does go ahead, i would like to see terracing in replace of the stand but i'm not sure if this is legal or not? Anyone able to clear this issue up?

It's perfectly legal (loads of Scottish clubs still have terracing), but it's not allowed under the SPL's own rules. Still, I don't see why we couldn't have terracing there for use in non-SPL games (there could even be a seated area that can be converted into terracing, as is used in some German grounds).

I'd hope that, if a smaller stand is built, the front row would be fairly high up rather than at pitch level (as with at the away end at Hamilton, for example), so that the view from that side of the stadium isn't ruined.

Personally I'm still against knocking the stand down, but would probably be swayed if Saints were to do something innovative with the space (and I also agree with Jamie that I reckon this is the first step in a long-term plan to move to somewhere else entirely).

I wouldn't be entirely against it if there was another, smaller, stand build in the same space, especially if they found a way to maintain the same kind of roofline as is currently there. That way the appearance of the stadium doesn't change massively and we get a big influx of money over a period of many, many years as compensation.

If it was just going to be a big empty space that would be pretty chronic though.

My view entirely Jamie. I'd hate to be like Hamilton - looking at a non-existent end with a Sainbury's store is soul-destroying.

'We've got one, we've got two we've got one less stand than you' - doesn't excite me as a song either.

The terracing issue was covered in another thread. There is an agreement between the SFA/SPL that terracing will not be allowed for top tier foot in Scotland. If clubs were to try and introduce them then holyrood would move to bring in similar legislation as in England. One of the regular posstera on here pit up a copy of the reply they got from holyrood on this subject.

I voted no, but I am more of the opinion that if it's replaced with a smaller stand then I'd be happy. If it was going to be left as a gap or anything other than a stand then I wouldn't be so happy. At the end of the day though, it's got nothing to do with me and my opinion doesn't really matter. It's obviously going to happen anyway. The plans for the road and housing will have more of an effect on people than what happens with the stand at McDiarmid Park so I am probably more interested in finding out more about that!

The terracing issue was covered in another thread. There is an agreement between the SFA/SPL that terracing will not be allowed for top tier foot in Scotland. If clubs were to try and introduce them then holyrood would move to bring in similar legislation as in England. One of the regular posstera on here pit up a copy of the reply they got from holyrood on this subject.

This is presently under review. celtic have asked for a discussion to take place as they would like to introduce a standing area in Parkhead, They are stating that it woul provide an area at reduced cost for some fans.

Could build a small stand with a bar for away supporters.

My one concern would be ST holders getting relocated as I imagine the OF might get the East Stand if numbers suffice

Is it really a big problem. For 4 games a season we could have the main stand filled with Saints fans, more money for the club and in turn that will allow us to minimise any increase in season ticket prices.

Is it really a big problem. For 4 games a season we could have the main stand filled with Saints fans, more money for the club and in turn that will allow us to minimise any increase in season ticket prices.

Would say it is a big problem. Look what happened the last time. We lost supporters due to moving us back and forward.

Why dont the Main Stand move?

I think this issue is pretty minor in the scheme of things. Plus we can't even fill the east these days so we can't really moan if we get moved now if the club can make more money from the way they allocate the seating at OF games. It was different back when we got more home fans.

Anyway I'd support what the club are doing if the money helps safeguard the club's future.

I can only think that they would not due to hospitality directors etc. Personally I would not have any proiblem. I was in the East stand when we moved before and could not understand the carry on from some folk. You are getting a better seat.

Problem was away fans were still in our end and when complaints were made, the complainers were ejected.

Problem was away fans were still in our end and when complaints were made, the complainers were ejected.

Maybe it was the way you went about complaining that got you flung out! I remember moaning about the scum sitting round us but never got flung out. Neither did they mind you.

Wouldn't be an issue now with less OF fans coming to away games so no need for sitting in our end.

Maybe it was the way you went about complaining that got you flung out! I remember moaning about the scum sitting round us but never got flung out. Neither did they mind you.

Wouldn't be an issue now with less OF fans coming to away games so no need for sitting in our end.

Wasn't me who was put out. I know of three who were.

Did say on the ticket that fans in the wrong areas would be ejected.

But rules are obviously there to be broken.

Wasn't me who was put out. I know of three who were.

Did say on the ticket that fans in the wrong areas would be ejected.

But rules are obviously there to be broken.

Yeah and the OF fans seem to get away with whatever they want. That's one thing that's not changed.

On the terracing thing, maybe we could make it really retro. Uneven terracing with shoogly barriers and the bogs could be the old pish up against the wall style! :razz: