#27 - 28/01/12 - Motherwell 3-2 Saints - SPL

Craigen & Higden missing probably worked against us.With Daly playing instead of Higden they had movement & played the ball around rather than the big punt up to Higden.

We were poor in midfield & we sorely need a playmaker like Mooner.

Muzz really has to put the ball in the net with all the chances he makes for himself.

Sanadaza has to make a pass when it is available especially when he is on his left foot which is only for standing on.

Hate losing.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While a little disappointed that we came away with nothing, all in all I was not to downheartened by the Saints display. A good game of football and Motherwell probably just about deserved to win. We were a bit short in both the luck department and in defence. Callum Davidson who has been a rock all season didn't have a great game and was certainly partially responsible for the Wells first two. As for the 3rd, it looked well wide to me and I have heard it took a big deflection ( but you have to get into these positions in the first place, so fair play to Well) I thought Crackers was poor but on the flip side I thought Ando was immense yet again..( especially given the soft booking given to him early on by the idiot with the whistle)

Other plus points were Compton who looks the real deal and has hopefully earned himself a start for the cup tie next week and Morris's goal which was a peach..

My one fear with Saints is nearly EVERY time we get to one of these watershed games we come away as losers. Sometimes seems to be a real psychological barrier.

Anyway as I said , not to down, and on another day we would have come away with a draw at least.

Onwards and upwards and bring on those fecking Jambos..

I'm not sure I'd agree Motherwell deserved the win. They had only 4 chances and scored 3. The 3rd was a deflection, 2nd a slip. If we had even taken half our chances we would have won.

Lomas must shoulder the blame though. Croft didn't deserve the 90 mins and if you are going to bring compton on why take off the one striker who can head a ball. Compton looked good though, very impressed.

Lomas changed the shape to 4-5-1. Hence replacing Haber with Compton. It worked IMO

Thought we improved with the change of shape but still should have taken croft off instead of haber.

Yep changed the shape at the start of the second half and had Haber wide right with Croft wide left. He obviously wanted to play with 2 wingers and that was why he took off Haber.

Compton certainly looks the part and didn't think Liam looked out of place playing one in.

Murray had one of his best matches for a while, driving forward.

I'm not sure I'd agree Motherwell deserved the win. They had only 4 chances and scored 3. The 3rd was a deflection, 2nd a slip. If we had even taken half our chances we would have won.

Lomas must shoulder the blame though. Croft didn't deserve the 90 mins and if you are going to bring compton on why take off the one striker who can head a ball. Compton looked good though, very impressed.

Surely you mean the one striker who can win the ball in the air.

Which is a bit different from the one striker who can head a ball.

How many headers that he won fell or were directed to a Saints player.

And I am not by any manner of means criticising Haber's ability.

Bold move by the manager, with his substitutions to try to swing the game in our favour.

Fair play to Lomas for his changes.

I said the same, I'd have taken croft off for millar at half time but changing the shape was worth a go and croft improved in the 2nd half. I genuinely think he was caught out by the pace of the game (and he wasn't the only one). Fortunately there aren't many teams able to play at that tempo. Can't remember the last team I've seen us play that were able to press and break so quickly.

Stuart McCall obviously has his side analysing several hours of Barcelona games every week as that was what their style of play reminded me of (without the ability of course!). They defend from the front, don't give you a second and press constantly.

After Saturdays performance I wouldn't be too unhappy to see callum Davidson dropped for a couple of games. Thought he was badly at fault for the first goal with a rash clearance then stupidly tried to play ojamma offside. He played jelavic onside against rangers and his distribution in general seems to have resorted to thumping it. I'd give Maybury a run next week. I also think we defend better with Wright at the back, hopefully he's match fit again.

After Saturdays performance I wouldn't be too unhappy to see callum Davidson dropped for a couple of games. Thought he was badly at fault for the first goal with a rash clearance then stupidly tried to play ojamma offside. He played jelavic onside against rangers and his distribution in general seems to have resorted to thumping it. I'd give Maybury a run next week. I also think we defend better with Wright at the back, hopefully he's match fit again.

Agreed on both counts.

I think the sheer pace of motherwell's game caught a few players out. We don't have the youngest side and I think McCall used that to his advantage. Think dropping Callum would be a bit harsh. Despite lacking pace, his reading of the game and positional sense is generally very good.

Maybury never fills me with confidence at LB, prefer him at RB. Can't remember who it was against but last time I saw him come on at McD it looked like someone had filled his boots with concrete, he hit about 4 or 5 passes ridiculously hard into the stands.

I think the sheer pace of motherwell's game caught a few players out. We don't have the youngest side and I think McCall used that to his advantage. Think dropping Callum would be a bit harsh. Despite lacking pace, his reading of the game and positional sense is generally very good.

Maybury never fills me with confidence at LB, prefer him at RB. Can't remember who it was against but last time I saw him come on at McD it looked like someone had filled his boots with concrete, he hit about 4 or 5 passes ridiculously hard into the stands.

Maybury had two very decent performances when filling it at left back for CD recently. I agree that Callum hasn't looked very switched on lately

Maybury had two very decent performances when filling it at left back for CD recently. I agree that Callum hasn't looked very switched on lately

Callum played well against Hibs. I'd be surprised to see any left back not caught out once or twice by the movement and pace of Ojamma. He looked an excellent player. Motherwell's pace on the break is as good as anyone in the league, including the OF. Very good team, who I was convinced from day 1 were going to be the 'best of the rest' this year. I honestly believe that our battle will be with Hearts for fourth, as Motherwell are just a step better than us. January is a telling time. We have bought in players who can add width, and will allow us to press on to finish as high as possible. Unfortunately, so have Motherwell, and in that respect, I think remain a better side than us.

It does prove that being 'the best of the rest' doesn't all revolve around money though. I could be wrong, but I don't see Motherwell as one of the big spenders, compared to Dundee United and Hearts in any case.