The Big Turkey Travel Thread

soulfulsaint

You can also pay in Euros or Dollars - the fees are $20 / €15 / £10. Cheapest if you pay in pounds then.

Interestingly it would only be €10 if I had a Spanish passport - why are we more expensive than other European countries?!

FEW THINGS

1. RIVAL COMPANY TO TMG: Spoke with my mate who has run football charters for over 20 years face to face an hour ago (here in London, no names but if you want his company URL then PM). I was encouraging him to contact the club tomorrow morning regards Euro travel because this travel lark it is proper all over this place....

i) He says it is expensive at this time of the year as all the usual charters are taken

ii) He booked three planes from Scandinavia (Air Finland* see note) going to England games - so planes came from Finland to Birmingham and Manchester, then out to Ukraine as that was cheaper than trying to get a UK Charter.

iii) He ran flights to Maribor and Bursapor for Rangers - but never filled either flight.

iv) Says it is even more expensive to charter a plane to Scotland....as the plane will always need to get there (versus London where a charter company will often have spare capacity)

v) IMPORTANT: After chatting with him, and explaining the situation I got on the OS, to see that TMG have been appointed. And in his words [verbatim]: "Oh TMG, yeah we know them, they been around a long time...... they'll be dear".

vi) Clubs get a travel stipendium of around €80,000 per Europa League match, so expect the club to make a bit on selling spare capacity on the plane (which is all good IMO)

note: in the middle of our chat he got a call from his office saying Air Finland had gone bust! He had them on reserve to take England fans to any semi final they may have made, and was scheduled to have paid for those tickets yesterday..... again in his words: "God looked after me there, I would have been 80gs down".

TMG COSTS

So, long story short: TMG will be expensive, BUT it is the way it goes, due to time of year and location of Scotland in relation to planes. I am told to expect north of £450-500.

Lastly, I won't be registering with TMG because i don't want to be spammed for the next god knows how long....YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR TMG'S NEWSLETTER NOT A SPECIFIC STJFC UPDATE......so nice touch TMG!

Data harvest....

I've registered but I think the price might be scary, I'll have a guess at £500 & :shock: for flights from Edi and 1 night in hotel.

Starting to wish we had drawn someone in central Europe.:neutral:

Edited by MySpazz

guys some info should be updated. there is no direct train from ankara to eskisehir right now. it exist 2 months ago but now it does not. train go to till sincan (a town near ankara) and do not go to ankara directly.

from ataturk airport (european side) in istanbul to eskisehir = go to bus (30 min), go to eskisehir (normally 5 hrs, but due to the maintenance in bridge 2 it will take 7-8 hrs) total cost: 20-25 euro (taxi can be used till u arrive to the buses).

from saw airport (anatolian side) in istanbul to eskisehir = go to bus (30 min), go to eskisehir in 3-4 hrs there is lots of diff. bw. european side and anotolian side of istanbul in terms of time spending. total cost: 20-25 euro (do not use taxi to arrive to the buses, use airport bus transportation called "havatas") use this way if match will be played in eskisehir ataturk olimp. stadium against eskisehir

from ankara esenboga airport to eskisehir = first go to sincan (1 hr), then take train and go to eskisehir (1.5 hrs) total cost: 20 euro (do not use taxi to arrive to the buses, use airport bus transportation called "havas") i explained the way you arrive to eskisehir but do not use this option to arrive eskisehir since it is time wasting. use this way if match will be played in ankara 19 mayıs stadium against eskisehir. so you will only need to arrive ankara 19 mayıs stad. from airport and it is easy.

from ataturk airport (european side) in istanbul to bursa: use "havatas" busses to arrive yenikapı. then use sea way to arrive bursa. total cost 30 euro, duration 2.5 hrs. use this way if match will be played in bursa against bursa.

from saw airport (anatolian side) in istanbul to bursa: use "havatas" to arrive busses, and take busses to go to bursa. total cost 15-20 euro, duration 3.5 hrs. use this way if match will be played in bursa against bursa.

from ankara esenboga airport to bursa = first go to sincan (1 hr), then take train and go to eskisehir (1.5 hrs), then take bus from eskisehir to bursa (2.5 hrs) total cost: 30-35 euro (do not use taxi to arrive to the buses, use airport bus transportation called "havas") use this way if match will be played in bursa against bursa but it is also time wasting way.

i think this covers all combinations.

:) have a nice trip.

Edited by u1076652
missing info

Yes the TMG charter may be expensive, but I was looking at the prices of getting there under our own steam, cheapest I could find was flights to london, then flights to ankara. Travel to ESES and then booking a hotel for a couple of nights all return. And low and behold the cost was pushing towards £600. Now bearing in mind that this was today's prices and not what they will be on the 5th when we know for sure where we are going. So TMG is not going to be much more, probably cheaper if you were to compare after the trip.

Would I be right in thinking the charter flight would most likely be departing Wednesday then return straight after the match??

Had a wee look at flights from Brussels direct and unless your willing to stay in Turkey for 4 days its gonna be far too expensive.

Could one of the Turkish fans tell me how easy it is to cross the border from Bulgaria by car?

Could one of the Turkish fans tell me how easy it is to cross the border from Bulgaria by car?

You thinking fly to Plovdiv and drive? Takes about nine hours apparently, with google suggesting Turkish roads/drivers not the best............

Flights to Plovdiv certainly cheap from Stansted though.

Edited by Al C

No offence, but I'd rather not say until I've got myself sorted. Last thing I want is to have everyone else book them up at the good prices, causing them to rocket up and then be stuck after spending loads of time researching routes.

Will be more than happy to share once I am sorted!

no offence taken have a good trip

Edited by Dev

Anyone any idea how hiring cars works in Turkey? Is it possible? Is it cheap? Is it worth considering?

A Focus from Europcar at Istanbul airport is $180 for the Wednesday to the Friday so around £50 each for 3 people. Its certainly gotta be looked at because I dont think I could sit on a bus for upto 6 hours it would drive me mental

Anyone any idea how hiring cars works in Turkey? Is it possible? Is it cheap? Is it worth considering?

I've driven over a fair bit of the planet over the years, and Turkey is the only place so far that I wouldn't consider it.

The roads can be horrendous, and the traffic sytems are totally unfathomable.

Stopping for traffic lights seem to be optional, with guaranteed red light runners everywhere.

That's my experience anyway.

Fantastic country though, I'm off there again in October. Sadly I won't be there in July:sad:

I,m up to £450 right now, flying from Stanstead to Ankara on the Wednesday, hotel Wednesday and Thursday night. Thats flights and hotel only, not travelling within the country. I,m inclined to wait and see what travel arrangements the club are going to make before i book anything, this is starting to look like a nightmare in all honesty, bearing in mind we dont even know if we are playing this mob.

And just for info, the hotels i,ve checked, all say if couples want to share a room they must provide proof of marriage !! i,m travelling alone at the minute !!

First of all greetings from istanbul.

If u guys planing to rent a car i suggest u to dont use big companies like heartz coz there lots of local companies for that and much way cheaper. I work one of the biggest hotel in istanbul at concierge desk if u need more information just send a pm. Actually if u guys can find enoug ppl for private bus might be cheaper and better

from ataturk airport (european side) in istanbul to eskisehir = go to bus (30 min), go to eskisehir (normally 5 hrs, but due to the maintenance in bridge 2 it will take 7-8 hrs) total cost: 20-25 euro (taxi can be used till u arrive to the buses).

from saw airport (anatolian side) in istanbul to eskisehir = go to bus (30 min), go to eskisehir in 3-4 hrs there is lots of diff. bw. european side and anotolian side of istanbul in terms of time spending. total cost: 20-25 euro (do not use taxi to arrive to the buses, use airport bus transportation called "havatas") use this way if match will be played in eskisehir ataturk olimp. stadium against eskisehir

Thanks for sharing that information, it's really helpful.

We will probably be travelling from the centre of Istanbul to Eskisehir. What is the best way of doing that and how long does it take? Do you know any websites with bus information?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for sharing that information, it's really helpful.

We will probably be travelling from the centre of Istanbul to Eskisehir. What is the best way of doing that and how long does it take? Do you know any websites with bus information?

Thanks for your help.

from SAW airport to the city center use : http://www.havatas.com/Otobus.aspx?i=3

from ataturk airport to the city center use: http://www.havatas.com/Otobus.aspx?i=1

from istanbul to eskisehir by using busses here are the major ones =

https://secure.kamilkoc.com.tr/SeferSorgula.aspx?k=1094&v=1077&g=27-6-2012&yks=1

or

http://www.ismailayaz.com.tr/

or

http://www.buzlu.com.tr/

or

www.metroturizm.com.tr/

@dev

There is only one way to come EsEs from istanbul, bus! I dunno which airport u gonna land but if its in europen that means u will come to taksim area, heart if city. There r lots of bus companies there to buy ticket and they have shuttle service till main bus stations. "Kamil Koc" is a good company to travel with bus also nilufer metro or ismail ayaz have bus to EsEs and it takes 4.5 hours generally but nowadays specially in rush hours hard to pass from europe side to asian side, due to this problem ur journey might be 6 hours.

I,m up to £450 right now, flying from Stanstead to Ankara on the Wednesday, hotel Wednesday and Thursday night. Thats flights and hotel only, not travelling within the country. I,m inclined to wait and see what travel arrangements the club are going to make before i book anything, this is starting to look like a nightmare in all honesty, bearing in mind we dont even know if we are playing this mob.

And just for info, the hotels i,ve checked, all say if couples want to share a room they must provide proof of marriage !! i,m travelling alone at the minute !!

Teamwork, I am planning flying in to Ankara as well. Might look at staying in EsEs after the game on the Thursday night instead though and maybe on the Wednesday night as well. Maybe we can try and show we have one of those dodgy Elton and David marraige licences :wink:

Probably u check cheap hotel as in normal but no worries if u show up with ur pass they cant say anything, that is precaution only to be not a place for sleazy ppl.

Neverthless i dont suggest u to stay in ankara coz ita a boring city. U can find a lot of things to do and better hotels (also cheaper) in EsEs. Put something on u which shows u came from scotland and ask where is the bar's street, but try to pronounce like a spanglish which is easier to understand for Turkish ppl compere then scottish :)

The idea of hiring a coach as a group on the day of the match seems a really good one.

I'm sure we could get an air-conditioned bus that per head would work out considerably cheaper,more comfortable and safer than hiring a car or some of the other alternatives

If anyone agrees and is more adept at working the forum than me would it be idea to set up a poll asking who would be interested in hiring a bus to and from the match?

I appreciate the venue has not yet been confirmed but I am aware, for example, that quite a few of us will be based in Istanbul where I understand the game is not likely to be played so a poll to find out if that is an interest in hiring a bus from there to wherever the match is fixed would at least give an idea of whether there is an interest in doing that rather than one of the alternatives (and I see that one of our Turkish friends has offered to source a reliable coach company) and we could take it from there?

Same would apply for other bases to the match

If no one is interested, however, no problem! Just thought I would ask (-: