Kevin Moon

PerthSaints_1884

Speaking to someone at the club today who stated Mooner was fit and ready to play. Lomas branded him as the next Jody Morris when he arrived at the club. Why on earth is he not even getting a look in? Anyone know something I don't? I personally like when Moon plays, a real worker who can make forward runs and drag defenders. Hope to see him in the team this season.

Ive always rated Mooner, always gives near enough 100%, I guess he wasn't getting a look in due to Muzz - aswell as Lomas not rating him enough to put him in before Cregg. Personally i think him and Muzz would of made a great partnership, Looks like he will be in the team next week though while SL touts the board for more budget.

As with Del, mooner is an easy drop for them with the needs protected, got a slight knock pish, For his own benifit kevin shouuld have moved on and gone where he gets a game and can show what he is made off.

When these manager sign players for above average wages they get it in the neck from the chairman if they are not playing so the manager will often go with his/ these guys to save the moaning from above.

Mooner is the one midfielder who can pass, see a pass and deliver the pass through the proverbiable eye of a needle,

Cregg was a not needed signing and a unneccesary wage! IMOP

If Mooner stays fit and gets a run in the team he could be good. Sadly neither of these things have happened. He's not that young anymore and he's yet to make any sort of impression at saints. If he wasn't a Perth guy I doubt he would still be at the club.

I would love to see him do well but realistically I doubt it'll happen.

Talking of Perth players, the youth system is becoming a bit of a farce. Few years back, playing with the under 16s, the whole team with the exception of one or two were Perth born. As I left to pursue another sport, the influx of players coming in from Dumbarton and the general Glasgow area was forcing the Perth ones initially on the the bench then out of the club (Stevie and Mooner being the exceptions). The question I put forward is this, where are these Glasgow boys that were apparently far superior to the honest working Perth guys? Not one from the last 4 or 5 years has made a first team appearance! Heard today of another Perth youth being forced out by the club however is now being pursued by an English premiership club. Good enough for a premier league side to have a look at but not for us? Would like to hear others views on this matter and if anyone shares similar thoughts.

I would just like us to produce young players, don't really mind where they come from, as long as we produce some! In saying that, we shouldn't be missing out on the talent in our own backyard. The club managed to arguably lead the way on the youth development front in the nineties with Alistair Stevenson involved, reaching the BP Youth Cup final in 1995. Is he working for a club at the moment after leaving Hibernian? Look at all the young players they brought through after he left Saints in 2002 or 2003, Thomson, Brown etc...

We've shown no faith in youth over the last few years though. Would Steven Doris, for example, really have been a worse striking option than guys like Finnigan and Oyenuga over the past few years? Don't mean the above to come across as a dig at those currently involved in youth side of things as there does seem to be some decent players there but, for whatever reason, various managers would rather give several hundred quid per week more to an experienced player, who wouldn't offer the energy or enthusiasm of a younger player.

Regards Kevin Moon, when he's fit and sharp, he's a really good footballer and I think would/should be a first choice for us. When he isn't so sharp, I feel his performance level does dip and because of his injury problems, that can happen a bit but when he is fit and available, I'd like to see him in the side.

Stevenson doing one off coaching and scouting just now, looking for a full time appointment I believe. Completely agree with the no faith, it's almost as if Perth youth players have been sterotyped as being underachievers and only destined for third division football at best, personally feel that simply isn't the case. Stevie May was never exceptional and didn't stand out in the crowd (perhaps apart from his fitness being phenomenal) at under 16. He was kept on and was given a chance to show what he is capable of, sadly this opportunity was not forthcoming to the rest of the squad, many who showed real class at a young age. The opinion of the coaching staff was very much if you were under 5'8 at age 15 you were more often than not a bench player at best. Trust me, sitting on the bench at age 15 puts you off the game, all I wanted to do at that age was play 90 minutes and have a good time. Travelling down to Queen of the South to get on for 5 minutes was not my idea of fun. Mooner to start the next game, has drive and determination however is very much a confidence player. Can pick a pass and holds possession well, Lomas seems to stick with his favourites though.

This is second hand info but by all accounts Mooner is understandably not a happy bunny right now!

I would be worried if he was happy. Any player not in the team should be unhappy and desperate to prove a point.

Ultimately, Kevin Moon has not shown enough to warrant a regular start. It looks like he may have a chance of getting in the team now, so lets hope he grasps the opportunity and makes the most of it. Would be great to see him turning in the type of performance like he showed at Tynecastle a few seasons ago, on a regular basis.

In regards to bringing youth players through, I would love to see us producing more homegrown players, but how viable actually is it? Geoff Brown said a few years ago, that he did not believe a youth system was worthwhile for a club with Saints finances as the money it takes to finance a youth system is far higher than the income it brings in. Callum Davidson and Danny Griffin are the only two players of note whom we have produced and recieved a decent fee for.

I would actually argue that our current youth system is ticking along ok. Last season the U19's competed well with clubs who spend much more on youth teams than us. I think where our system falls down is that the past two managers (Coyle and McInnes) have not shown enough faith in promoting these U19's to our first team. Ask any Dundee United or Hibs fan and they will tell you that the likes of Godwillie, Russell, Brown and Thomson were not outstanding week in, week out when they first broke into the first team. It takes time, you have to let these young guys got used to the demands of senior football.

In defence of Steve Lomas he has actually shown a real willingness to improve and engage with the Saints youth teams since he came to the club. I understand that he has attended many of our youths games and is always willing to give the guys encouragement. He has also talked about the need to get guys like Zander Clark, Liam Caddis and Stevie May out on loan to aid their development, again this was always something that I felt Coyle and McInnes neglected.

Lets not do ourselves down too much, we have some talented young players in the ranks, lets just hope they get the chance to break through.

I think it has been said elsewhere that Liam Caddis could do a job on the right-side of midfield, even coming off the bench. I was very impressed with him a couple of seasons ago when he filled in at RB then hung out to dry at Ibrox in the same season then never seen again.

As for Kevin Moon he is highly rated amongst the fans because he can be a very good determined player who can see a pass and when he is not it is generally due to be played out of position (Left mid?), struggling or just coming back from injury so a good run in the team would be good to see. Certainly would rate Moon ahead of Adams and Robertson.

Speaking to someone at the club today who stated Mooner was fit and ready to play. Lomas branded him as the next Jody Morris when he arrived at the club. Why on earth is he not even getting a look in? Anyone know something I don't? I personally like when Moon plays, a real worker who can make forward runs and drag defenders. Hope to see him in the team this season.

I heard exactly the same. Apparently he had Moon training with the young players. He's definitely should be picked ahead of Adams.

Mooner needs a run in the team. He seems to get brought in and then dropped quickly without being given a few games to settle in. Always gives commitment and has scored a few goals too so I'm hoping he gets in the side for the next few tough games.

Only issue is our side needs height in midfield but there is not a lot Mooner can do about that. :razz: