St Johnstone Vs Motherwell - 25/2/2014

Aitchy

Dunne offers everything Midge does in relation to breaking up opposition play, and then more, much, much more. For me, his name should be the first midfielder on the team sheet and the rest based around that. I am sure Midge would benefit from playing next to Dunne, as McDonald did last night.

I agree that Dunne is far better than midge and looks just now to be our best central midfielder, and of course mcdonald benefits as he has a winner beside him, but he can't make mcdonald a better tackler, passer, win headers or a better footballer,

i honestly think he gives nothing to the team.

Wasn't at the game but the highlights showed McDonald making one or two nice passes.

Before the game I was all-aboard the McDonald slagging bus but TW's formation last night worked and it included McDonald.

Personally I would still prefer to see Cregg over McDonald, but it TW can make these kind of results the norm, as they could/should be given our well-assembled team, then I will drop all G McD complaints

Dunnes performance in fight in midfield is a different level from Midge. Different size of guy etc I know but people would fear Dunne bearing down on you. Midge just bounces off.

Dunnes performance last night was LEAGUES ahead of Millars performances recently. Different level entirely it seems and level above Millar based on what we have seen so far. 

I agree that Dunne is far better than midge and looks just now to be our best central midfielder, and of course mcdonald benefits as he has a winner beside him, but he can't make mcdonald a better tackler, passer, win headers or a better footballer,

i honestly think he gives nothing to the team.

I agree.

The problem has been that Midge is not strong enough across all departments, so when he and McDonald play together, we are badly exposed in the middle of the park. McDonald probably done okay last night as Dunne's strengths meant that McDonald wasn't as exposed as he is when playing with Millar.

I would prefer Dunne and O' Halloran, with Midge an able alternative to O'Halloran if need be

Thought it was strange when Millar,not O'Halloran replaced Croft.

When everything is going right like that, maybe, just maybe Millar might have got a goal. I reckon a goal would do so much for Millar's confidence. It must niggle that he is a midfielder who used to score goals and now simply cannot find the net.

Wasn't at the game but the highlights showed McDonald making one or two nice passes.

Before the game I was all-aboard the McDonald slagging bus but TW's formation last night worked and it included McDonald.

Personally I would still prefer to see Cregg over McDonald, but it TW can make these kind of results the norm, as they could/should be given our well-assembled team, then I will drop all G McD complaints

If you watch the sitter that Iwelumo missed, it's a very good pass from Macdonald to Wotherspoon to set up the chance.

When everything is going right like that, maybe, just maybe Millar might have got a goal. I reckon a goal would do so much for Millar's confidence. It must niggle that he is a midfielder who used to score goals and now simply cannot find the net.

that would be a novelty, a miller goal.

everything has went right in plenty matches miller has played in, still doesn't score.

a goal a season is about right for him if we are lucky.

that would be a novelty, a miller goal.

everything has went right in plenty matches miller has played in, still doesn't score.

a goal a season is about right for him if we are lucky.

Thing is with Millar, when he does get an opportunity, he never looks like he really believes he is going to score, and you can almost feel his relief if he just gets it on target (usually with little pace).

This no doubt stems from, as montrose says, a lack of confidence due to it being so long since he has scored. There is no doubt that a goal would be a big deal for him, no matter how much his role doesn't perhaps demand it, or people say it doesn't matter as that is not his job.

It's not just goals though. As much as I appreciate the work he does in the middle of the park (where his choice of passes is usually very good), it is hugely frustrating that when he gets into advanced positions he, more often than he should, either makes the wrong decision, puts in a poor, over-hit cross or pass or has a half- hearted effort at goal. It gets me fair raging at games sometimes :?

Edited by Edstar101

I would say if we had gotten any of them it would have been very soft going from the video.

They all went down quite easily.

Motherwell looked very poor with the few chances they had but we also missed two sitters. Amazing the difference from having someone in the same area of the park as May.

MacLean has 6 goals in 4 games :D

In many ways you are right but McDonald was nudged when he was in the air when he was nudged so he had no control over when he came down. I thought the two on MacLean looked definietly penalties at the game but on the highlights it was one thing the ref got right.

haha mcdonald's attempt at getting a penalty was embarassing.

I reckon he is only in the team for his height in midfield, even then he rarely wins a header.

One of the poorest midfielders i've seen at McD.

Just seen the highlights John and I thought it was a penalty. Don't think Carsley made any attempt at the ball. Seen them given............ usually at the Parkhead or Ibrox against us.

Just seen the highlights John and I thought it was a penalty. Don't think Carsley made any attempt at the ball. Seen them given............ usually at the Parkhead or Ibrox against us.

i don't see it. carsely just stood his ground and moved his body, happens in the penalty box every time, if they were given as penalties then we would have 5 a game.

thats the way i see it.