St Johnstone Vs Rangers 2nd March

saintgscot

44 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Think you have your Tommy tinted glasses on. My memory is of being annoyed at Tommy not making subs til too late in an eye bleeding performances.

For some reason when he decided to leave in February we decided to go 3 at the back and started to entertain with a team that went on to win 2 major trophies.

I don't need Tommy-tinted glasses: the facts tell me that he achieved sustained success year after year on an unprecedented scale and there's absolutely no way you can dispute that. I don't have the stats to hand but I think we can pretty much guarantee that his record of coming back from a goal down will be far, far better than Davidson's (I believe we've only scored one equalising goal in the league all season). Every single time we had a bad spell under Tommy, he found a way of turning it round and bringing us out the other side of it stronger. Is Davidson going to do that?

Also it wasn't Davidson who switched to a back three. Tommy regularly played our back three of McCart, Gordon and Kerr after signing McCart from ICT. Here's the line-up we fielded in Tommy's last game (which we won, with a late winner - remember those?): https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51685367

Personally I don't care about entertainment. I want us to be successful and win matches: that's what I find entertaining. And it's a moot point anyway as we haven't been remotely entertaining this season: we're on course to score fewer goals this season than we ever did under Tommy, and that's really saying something.

29 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't need Tommy-tinted glasses: the facts tell me that he achieved sustained success year after year on an unprecedented scale and there's absolutely no way you can dispute that. I don't have the stats to hand but I think we can pretty much guarantee that his record of coming back from a goal down will be far, far better than Davidson's (I believe we've only scored one equalising goal in the league all season). Every single time we had a bad spell under Tommy, he found a way of turning it round and bringing us out the other side of it stronger. Is Davidson going to do that?

Also it wasn't Davidson who switched to a back three. Tommy regularly played our back three of McCart, Gordon and Kerr after signing McCart from ICT. Here's the line-up we fielded in Tommy's last game (which we won, with a late winner - remember those?): https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51685367

Personally I don't care about entertainment. I want us to be successful and win matches: that's what I find entertaining. And it's a moot point anyway as we haven't been remotely entertaining this season: we're on course to score fewer goals this season than we ever did under Tommy, and that's really saying something.

It seems weird to say but a lot of last season was poor in the league as well. Obviously it was overshadowed by the outrageous success in the cups but I remember being on the back foot a lot. 

I don't believe that Davidson is the long term answer for us.

30 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I was crediting Tommy with changing to 3 at the back. I think he said it was February that he decided he was leaving and think that was about the time we changed to 3 at the back. It was Tommy's team that won 2 cups.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I was crediting Tommy with changing to 3 at the back. I think he said it was February that he decided he was leaving and think that was about the time we changed to 3 at the back. It was Tommy's team that won 2 cups.

Fair enough! But my overall point still stands that Tommy was far better at changing things and adapting to the opposition in order to get results. I see no signs of Davidson having those qualities, and that's killing us.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Disagree with this completley.

I come back to my point that I've been banging on about all season and that is that Davidson was top quality last year and made several changes to turn our season around - Personnel were a huge part of the cup success granted.

I'm not buying he is suddenly a rubbish manger despite the season we are having. He's been involved in top level coaching since he retired from playing so he's either very lucky or very stupid.

21 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I'm not buying he is suddenly a rubbish manger despite the season we are having. He's been involved in top level coaching since he retired from playing so he's either very lucky or very stupid.

He had a squad perfectly built for the system he wanted to play last season. He done well and deserves credit for the double, but the warning signs were there considering we had a 10 game winless run and broke a league record for least amount of home goals in a season.

His issue is he can't build a squad or adapt to it, so when the perfect team for his system fell apart he could neither get replacements in that we're good enough, nor change the system to fit what he had.

Things improved in January when he had someone finding players for him, but we still have issues because he can't change. He, randomly, chucked a change of shape in last night but, again, he's not built a squad that can adapt to a change of shape. We arguably only have 2 wingers yet he's shifted to a shape that requires 2 to be starting, so we just pray they remain fit and in form I guess.

Being a manager is about more than setting the cones up and drilling movements into players.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

He had a squad perfectly built for the system he wanted to play last season. He done well and deserves credit for the double, but the warning signs were there considering we had a 10 game winless run and broke a league record for least amount of home goals in a season.

His issue is he can't build a squad or adapt to it, so when the perfect team for his system fell apart he could neither get replacements in that we're good enough, nor change the system to fit what he had.

Things improved in January when he had someone finding players for him, but we still have issues because he can't change. He, randomly, chucked a change of shape in last night but, again, he's not built a squad that can adapt to a change of shape. We arguably only have 2 wingers yet he's shifted to a shape that requires 2 to be starting, so we just pray they remain fit and in form I guess.

Being a manager is about more than setting the cones up and drilling movements into players.

Fair comment about most of your post but your doing him an injustice about the cones and drills. I just wonder what a difference Rooney would make if we got him back before season end and Booth found his best form. Middleton has already shown some good form in recent weeks and Mikey must be due a game back to his best soon.

The game last night was crying out for some wing play.

David Tanner (where is he now) ripping in about the pitch. Cabbage patch, pub league pitch etc etc.Must be a Sevco fan.

The pitch is a mess but not sure it's much worse than most outside OF.

I am sure it was this summer/maybe last summer that they removed the top layer and relayed a new pitch but it's has not improved . I am sure it must have cost a fortune.

Groundsman seems to spend a lot of time on the training grounds. Perhaps we should play the games there.

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Fair comment about most of your post but your doing him an injustice about the cones and drills. I just wonder what a difference Rooney would make if we got him back before season end and Booth found his best form. Middleton has already shown some good form in recent weeks and Mikey must be due a game back to his best soon.

The game last night was crying out for some wing play.

By all accounts hes an outstanding coach and I think we saw that last season, even when players were out the system worked the exact same as he'd drilled them so well. A manager has to be able to do more than that though, he needs to be able to have multiple systems to play so he can adapt. Davidsons never done that.

Last night I agree, we needed a threat on the wings, but again, we didn't have any because of how Davidson has built the squad. 2 natural wingers in the squad because he didn't have the foresight to think he might need more than that.

Hes been unlucky with injuries but a Tommy Wright side survives this season even with them, as he could adapt to that in terms of squad building and tactics.