The January 2023 transfer window thread

blueheaven

7 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Should be trying to sign Dipo Akinyemi.....along with everyone else :)

Seems he's going to go for a big transfer back south to League one.

Some record for a 25 year old.

image.jpeg.24d84daf1e9b8e3a6763f1d67760bfd5.jpeg

12 teams by the time he’s 25? Ok he’s scoring well this season, but that’s the only time in his career he’s hit those numbers which suggests he’s not going to repeat. Let’s not forget a 20 year old Stevie May hit 25 in that league not so long ago! Having watched him, he’s a handful, but he won’t be worth the outlay! 

1 hour ago, Widge said:

12 teams by the time he’s 25? Ok he’s scoring well this season, but that’s the only time in his career he’s hit those numbers which suggests he’s not going to repeat. Let’s not forget a 20 year old Stevie May hit 25 in that league not so long ago! Having watched him, he’s a handful, but he won’t be worth the outlay! 

Most of those teams were clubs he was sent out to on loan as a youngster, so I'm not sure that's a fair criticism. And I'm not sure the Stevie May comparison is a bad thing, given how well May went on to do for us after that?

For me the question isn't whether or not we should be going for Akinyemi - I think we've already missed the boat on him. For me the question is why Saints don't identify players like him at an earlier stage (if Ayr United can do it, why can't we?). There are plenty of other players in English non-league who are better than Akinyemi, but it's about finding them.

As I think I've said on here before, I watched a lot of Akinyemi when he was playing down south (probably saw him play 30-40 times), and I'd never have singled him out as being someone who I'd have thought Saints should be interested in.

7 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

For me the question is why Saints don't identify players like him at an earlier stage (if Ayr United can do it, why can't we?). There are plenty of other players in English non-league who are better than Akinyemi, but it's about finding them.

Because its harder than people think.

How many clubs will be kicking themselves they didn't identify Dan Philips considering he was a free agent?

At least 4 other clubs in this division desperate for a player like him.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Most of those teams were clubs he was sent out to on loan as a youngster, so I'm not sure that's a fair criticism. And I'm not sure the Stevie May comparison is a bad thing, given how well May went on to do for us after that?.

My point about the loans is based on the sheer amount of them. If he was thought highly of he wouldn’t have been punted out that many time and not exactly to a high level. The fact it’s taken until he’s in his mid-20s arguably his peak years to show he’s a good Scottish Championship striker shows he’s potentially not that good. You even said it yourself, you’d seen him play and never thought of him as a player who saints would want. That in itself tells you everything you need to know, I suspect he won’t repeat this season any time soon, especially not at a high level. The guys sounds like another Deuchar, or someone like Simon Murray, who toes the line of being capable, but ultimately falls short. 

30 minutes ago, Widge said:

My point about the loans is based on the sheer amount of them. If he was thought highly of he wouldn’t have been punted out that many time and not exactly to a high level. The fact it’s taken until he’s in his mid-20s arguably his peak years to show he’s a good Scottish Championship striker shows he’s potentially not that good. You even said it yourself, you’d seen him play and never thought of him as a player who saints would want. That in itself tells you everything you need to know, I suspect he won’t repeat this season any time soon, especially not at a high level. The guys sounds like another Deuchar, or someone like Simon Murray, who toes the line of being capable, but ultimately falls short. 

Akinyemi looks class tbf and should score plenty in the top flight. Suspect he'll move to the English Championship and vanish a bit in that quagmire but hes definitely far better than a 2nd tier Scottish striker

31 minutes ago, Widge said:

I don't think he's an especially brilliant player, but I just don't think it's fair to judge that on the fact that he's had a few loans (most of which came when he was around 18-20). It's pretty normal for academy players in England to head out on multiple loan spells. He's had more of them than most but that doesn't necessarily say he's a good or bad player. 

I wouldn't expect him to be hugely prolific if he stepped up to Saints' level (and he didn't do much when he played against us earlier this season), but I have to say I think he'd probably be a better bet for us than Bair. I'd also quite happily take a young Kenny Deuchar in our squad at the moment, incidentally.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Because its harder than people think.

How many clubs will be kicking themselves they didn't identify Dan Philips considering he was a free agent?

At least 4 other clubs in this division desperate for a player like him.

If Saints had a contact who was watching that level of football regularly, they'd be able to suggest plenty of names who are better than Akinyemi and would be worth at least investigating further.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

If Saints had a contact who was watching that level of football regularly, they'd be able to suggest plenty of names who are better than Akinyemi and would be worth at least investigating further.

And anyone obviously better than him would likely be getting tracked by about 20+ English sides.

You need to find a middling/below average player for that level for them to be "under the radar" i think. Lower leagues are watched constantly by clubs these days so its hard to beat the rush often. English sides like Blackpool have scouts dedicated to our lower leagues.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think it's fairly easy to get that information and do some due dilligence. Dipo was at Wlling. WUFC have strong connections with Charlton and Millwall. So if CD isn't tapped in to the SE London football scene you have to wonder.....cos he's been down south more than once. Likewise, you have Alex Dyer who was up at Killie who was embedded in the SE London scene. Those players are not hard to find, but they might not actually want to uproot to the north. Take Dipo's replacement at Wlling - former Partick Striker Azeez! (on over £1500 a week) playing parttime football on nearly full time money in divison 6 in england

I reckon Dipo looks the biz. 

Edited by MySpazz

Saints have brought a number of good players from the English leagues up to Scotland in the past decade however its finding a striker that can score 10+ goals in our league that seems to be a problem. Quite surprised there is no one worth giving a chance.

41 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Ta , a few loans to go and others that can go and with a few strategic signings we could have a manageable squad next season.

Would hope we could re-sign Hallberg ,Kane and Brown. Wouldn't object if Spoony and McLennon were signed but would like Spoony to get his move to north America.

On 2/21/2023 at 10:23 AM, Cagey said:

Ta , a few loans to go and others that can go and with a few strategic signings we could have a manageable squad next season.

Would hope we could re-sign Hallberg ,Kane and Brown. Wouldn't object if Spoony and McLennon were signed but would like Spoony to get his move to north America.

The Spoony rumours are that he’s signed a PCA doon the water rather than over the sea.