Stenhousemuir v St Johnstone, League Cup group stage, 15/07/2023

blueheaven

First game of the season tomorrow!

Hoping to see Saints really go for it in this game and from what Macca's been saying it sounds like that's very much the plan. 

Not many players to choose from but that means there's a big chance for some of our youngsters, and I'm assuming Sinclair will start even if we've signed Mitov by then. Clark, Kane, Brown, Phillips and possibly MacPherson all unavailable, so we basically have hardly any midfield.

Wild guess at a starting line-up ...

_______________Sinclair

McGowan Gordon Considine Booth

Ballantyne Crawford Kucheriavyi

_________Wright May Carey

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Me too! I was desperately trying to think of who else might play and was struggling to think of anyone. 😄

As I see it, once we have all injured players back, we still need a strong starting right back, a starting ball playing left centre back, another centre half to challenge Gordon, a starting left sided attacking player and a striker possibly to develop as back up for May, Clark and Kane.

Sinclair/Mitov

??    Gordon     ??      Booth

Wright  Phillips  MacPherson   ??

May      Clark

Subs: Gallagher, Brown, Ferguson, Kucheryavyi, Ballantyne, Kane, ?centre back?, ?striker?

I’d try to get good loan moves for: Parker, Mylchreest, Steven

I’d release/transfer list: Considine, McGowan, Carey, Crawford

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

That side has a long way to go.

Two major areas for me. Central defence, the Gordon/Considine paring is just way to cumbersome and slow on the turn. Considine does try to some out from the back with the ball, but Gordon's passing ability is poor as seen with the build up to the goal.

Second element pretty clear from that is if May comes out to be involved in the build up there is absolutely no one who is going to be available in the box.#

Difficult to have a go at the youngsters in that and I turned it off after 60 odd mins as it was pretty clear what was happening. Ferguson and Max did show some nice wee touches in the first half, but they were too few.

Wonder what Maclean will say to it?

Definitely need at least three players who can start, not squad players, or we are going to see a very difficult first half of the season. 

5 hours ago, Stumpy1949 said:

That’s the most upbeat I’ve ever heard you thinking we are going to get a draw:razz:

Many a true word said in jest. Couldn't even get a draw.

Ayr looks odds on for this section and we will struggle for second if we can't beat the lowest ranked team in the section.

Good to see Ewan O'Reilly get a goal.