St.Johnstone V Ross County - Saturday 11th November

SaintJet

Brilliant win. I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen but well done to the team for chipping away and taking a brilliant goal when the chance arrived. Lots of positives to take from the game.

Defence looked the best it has this season; that's not to say they are good by any means but everyone knew their job and did the simple things first. Row Z - all day. It let's everyone regroup and organised. Liam is defending first and looks happier with settled team mates around him, Conso looked comfortable all game and didn't seem so out of position like he has and he stuck to what he's good at getting the ball away from our goal!  McGown was immense; real credit to him for keeping himself match fit whilst he was on the naughty step for what ever reason, he's fitted in seamlessley.

I've said already that Carey looks more settled whilst he's not trying to do everything and he gave a very mature performance on Saturday capped by a brilliant goal. Great Credit to him with his personal family issues on his mind.

Everyone worked really hard including the forwards who never gave up chasing down the opponents and unsettling them. This is our calling card and it's great to see it again!

My MOTM was Dan "Wrecking Ball" Philips- I'm on record for calling him out on being a bit too robust in the tackle but he found the correct balance on Saturday and his driving energy rubbed off on everyone. He's going to be a big player for us this season.

I'm happy with where we are at after how the season started and although it's going to be a battle, we look like we have someone in place who can knit these players into a decent outfit.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

What a massive result that was for us. If we'd lost that one I think it would have been a serious confidence blow that would have been very difficult to recover from. Instead, we feel like we have a bit of momentum now and as things stand I can't really think of any reason why we shouldn't be absolutely fine this season. I think we have the spine of a pretty strong squad at the moment with guys like Smith, Sprangler, Clark, Mitov etc. We do still look a bit fragile at times and some attacking pace in the wide positions would really help us, but of course we still have Wright, Costelloe and Jaiyesimi all to come back so might just need to be a bit patient and grind out results with what we have for now.

I did feel we missed Sprangler in the middle on Saturday though, and hope he was just rested, rather than Levein maybe not fancying him for some reason. I felt not having his ability to pick the ball up and quickly move it on to a team mate meant we lost some of the slicker passing we'd shown in the previous game. Phillips is brilliant at disrupting play and chasing the opposition down when they have the ball, but I don't feel he has Sprangler's composure or passing ability when the possession's with us. I wonder if Levein might try to play all three of Smith, Sprangler and Phillips in central midfield at Tynecastle, at the expense of playing two strikers. I can see him going with Kane on his own up front with a packed midfield behind him.

Especially if Clark isn't fit.

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

We're going to have to be seriously good at the back if Levein's approach is always going to be to sit back and park the bus like that whenever we take a 1-0 lead.

Horses for courses. He had us very light in the centre of midfield, when searching for the opener and then tried to tighten things up once we had the lead.

Levein was openly gesturing for the players to push out at times, it may have been more the players on the pitch are still lacking in confidence and naturally retreating out of a fear of losing a goal?

10 hours ago, blueheaven said:

We're going to have to be seriously good at the back if Levein's approach is always going to be to sit back and park the bus like that whenever we take a 1-0 lead.

Been thinking he just wasn't sure who he could trust so erred on the side of caution. Hes kind of confirmed that with these comments I think.

“DJ is training,” said Levein. “He’s a strong boy, I’ve seen that. Can he play 90 minutes? I don’t know.

“We are hoping to get a game organised on Thursday to see some of the guys who I haven’t seen other than in training two or three times.

“Watching them in training and playing games are two things altogether. I will get to see him and some others on Thursday.

“I can go and watch video of them but that’s not my way of making an opinion of players – what their attributes are. I will get to see DJ and Luke Jephcott.

“I am sure there are some guys here who can help. I just need a better idea of what we’ve got.

“I’m in the dark at the minute about who I am best to bring on in certain situations.

“I am looking forward to seeing who can help us.”

13 hours ago, blueheaven said:

How is Mitrov playing?

From the motherwell highlights he seemed a bit at sea for the goals, including the one ruled out.

11 hours ago, SlickDT said:

Horses for courses. He had us very light in the centre of midfield, when searching for the opener and then tried to tighten things up once we had the lead.

Levein was openly gesturing for the players to push out at times, it may have been more the players on the pitch are still lacking in confidence and naturally retreating out of a fear of losing a goal?

Yeah I noticed that too. Was interesting as well to see him and Andy Kirk having a few fairly animated discussions on the touchline.

I reckon we're generally going to be a pretty cautious team under Levein. One up front in tougher away games, sitting on a 1-0 lead, everyone back when we're defending etc etc. But I'm totally fine with all of those things if they get results.

7 hours ago, MySpazz said:

How is Mitrov playing?

From the motherwell highlights he seemed a bit at sea for the goals, including the one ruled out.

I think there have been a couple of goals where it could be argued he might have done better, but on the whole he's been absolutely brilliant. Amazing shot-stopping, comfortable with the ball at his feet, commands the defence. I think he's been our best signing in years.

38 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think there have been a couple of goals where it could be argued he might have done better, but on the whole he's been absolutely brilliant. Amazing shot-stopping, comfortable with the ball at his feet, commands the defence. I think he's been our best signing in years.

I like Mitrov but he's still a bit raw and naive at times when coming out for balls and seems to get caught in two minds about whether to catch or punch the ball away. There is no doubt he's a good safe pair of hands and he likes to get the ball downfield quickly. I have been a bit nervous when the ball is passed back to him with an opposition player bearing down on him if I'm honest but he's going to get better as he learns frantic Scottish football.

I will say though he has already aquired a brilliant rapport with the fans and you can see he enjoys playing for us. He's going to be a fans favourite for a long time. 

The match was the cliche, a game of two halves.  As we played so poorly in the first and faded after half time, the omens weren't good.  However, the second half showed some flair, support and aggression.  My man of the match was McGowan.  He fought hard, played the ball well, led by example.  Phillips and Smith weren't far behind.  

We crafted good opportunities with only the final ball being missing.  

One thing Levein needs to do is ensure Robinson stays wide when Mitov has the ball.  Why did he join the scrum on the halfway line when he had half the pitch to himself giving Mitov the option to throw out to him to attack an open flank?  How many of their defenders would have been chasing back, losing our attackers giving him options to pass or even shoot.

There is more skill and resolve on show which beggars the questions, where was it?  More games like this and we can look up, not down.  

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Yeah I noticed that too. Was interesting as well to see him and Andy Kirk having a few fairly animated discussions on the touchline.

I reckon we're generally going to be a pretty cautious team under Levein. One up front in tougher away games, sitting on a 1-0 lead, everyone back when we're defending etc etc. But I'm totally fine with all of those things if they get results.

Also noticed Kirk regularly discussing things with Cleland. It seems to me like he is being treated more as a key part of the set-up, as opposed to previous regimes. That's simply from looking from the outside in. Maybe still relying on his knowledge of the players, that they lack.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Until the last 2 or 3 games I think Mitov has been great and felt he was difficult to beat and secure. Recently though I have felt he wasn't so secure and his distribution is now poor. He used to try to play out from the back but now he seems to be going long more often with his clearance either going out of play or right through to the other goalie. All this may be down to instructions though.

2 hours ago, SlickDT said:

Also noticed Kirk regularly discussing things with Cleland. It seems to me like he is being treated more as a key part of the set-up, as opposed to previous regimes. That's simply from looking from the outside in. Maybe still relying on his knowledge of the players, that they lack.

That's a great point. Cleland is well liked by the players and works hard with them so it must be great to have his opinion valued by the new management team- sure it gives him a  real boost.

9 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

That's a great point. Cleland is well liked by the players and works hard with them so it must be great to have his opinion valued by the new management team- sure it gives him a  real boost.

I was happily surprised that Clelland was kept on. He did a great job the one and half games he chose the teams.

Also surprised Liam wasn't kept on for 18s but that may have been his choice or budgets with Kirk requested by Levein.