Ross County v St.Johnstone - Saturday 3rd February

SaintJet

11 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I thought Tony Watt looked a really good player at first, and he formed part of what was very briefly an exciting front line for us. But he went in the huff halfway through the season (seemingly the norm for him at several of his clubs) and barely did anything in the second half of that season. I've just had a look at his stats and he only scored two goals for us in the league (one in August and one in December). His other five goals for us were all scored in the League Cup. Between February and the end of that season he only managed 90 minutes twice, and from the beginning of March onwards he didn't start a single game.

Interesting to see Dundee United's front line at the weekend was Watt, Middleton and Wotherspoon. Would people take those three back at Saints over what we have at the moment?

Scored in the Scottish cup against Hamilton IIRC

3 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Scored in the Scottish cup against Hamilton IIRC

Oops, yeah that's right: four goals in the League Cup, two in the league, one in the Scottish Cup.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tony-watt/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/132764/plus/0?saison=2018&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I pretty much agree with all of this but none of it actually affects my point, which is that neither DJ nor Kimpioka have shown themselves to be any more effective than him so far. I'm all for fielding better strikers than Chris Kane (and Stevie May, and Nicky Clark). What I'd dispute is whether or not we've actually found those better strikers.

So stick a guy back in who has proved over ten years that he is only effective if surrounded by good players, or give someone like DJ a chance to prove he can be better. What is the definition of insanity again? (sticking with Chris Kane is the answer)

I think Jaiyesmi has shown enough in the games he has started to suggest that he is a better option in this current team than Kane would be.

I am also happy to offer that chance to Kimpioka and now Sidibeh. Judging DJ or Kimpioka on 4 or 5 starts isn’t fair.

38 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

So stick a guy back in who has proved over ten years that he is only effective if surrounded by good players, or give someone like DJ a chance to prove he can be better. What is the definition of insanity again? (sticking with Chris Kane is the answer)

I think Jaiyesmi has shown enough in the games he has started to suggest that he is a better option in this current team than Kane would be.

I am also happy to offer that chance to Kimpioka and now Sidibeh. Judging DJ or Kimpioka on 4 or 5 starts isn’t fair.

All I said was that I'd have him back in the squad, not that I'd necessarily select him ahead of those two guys. I think his role at the moment is probably coming off the bench, trying to be a pain to defenders later in games and trying to win some set pieces to get us further up the pitch. I think Kimpioka is probably also best coming off the bench for now. I'm happy for DJ to get a chance to prove he can be better, but he's played quite a few games for us now and I haven't really seen anything from him that suggests he's truly any better than Kane. If I turn out to be wrong on that, then brilliant, but based on what we've actually seen so far that's my view.

It would be very strange if Levein froze Kane out of the squad completely after only giving him a new contract a few weeks ago.

22 minutes ago, tucker said:

County first choice goalkeeper injured

We're grasping at straws if we're hoping a 2nd choice keeper is going to be a help.

I watched the highlights of County on Wednesday and they can be a threat but can be got at if you force them on the back foot.

Time for our Management team to show their worth and put in a game plan and have the team ready from the get go.

14 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Their back up goalkeeper played gulled 90 against Celtic at Celtic Park and only conceded 1 goal. More than can be said for most first choice keepers in this league.

Saved two* penalties as well. A bit suspect for both goals on Wednesday night, however. Looked as though he was scared of getting hurt. 

Suspect Laidlaw will be a victim of Derek Adams being, well, Derek Adams and will now be second choice.

50 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Saved two* penalties as well. A bit suspect for both goals on Wednesday night, however. Looked as though he was scared of getting hurt. 

Suspect Laidlaw will be a victim of Derek Adams being, well, Derek Adams and will now be second choice.

Heard locally Laidlaw and Adams have had a falling out.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

We're grasping at straws if we're hoping a 2nd choice keeper is going to be a help.

I watched the highlights of County on Wednesday and they can be a threat but can be got at if you force them on the back foot.

Time for our Management team to show their worth and put in a game plan and have the team ready from the get go.

Try to win and we will win. Try not to lose and we will lose.

What is the point of worrying about who is in goals' when the manager has no intention of us getting anywhere near the opposition goal. A really important game for us tomorrow and the totally negative tactics from Levein means I ain't going. Never thought I would feel that way. The total irony of having 6 strikers. You really couldn't write the script.

9 minutes ago, yahoorsir said:

What is the point of worrying about who is in goals' when the manager has no intention of us getting anywhere near the opposition goal. A really important game for us tomorrow and the totally negative tactics from Levein means I ain't going. Never thought I would feel that way. The total irony of having 6 strikers. You really couldn't write the script.

I'm going tomorrow cos I live about 15  miles from Dingwall, but I understand your feelings. If things don't improve it could be a while before I make the trip down to Perth again.

11 hours ago, cristo said:

I'm going tomorrow cos I live about 15  miles from Dingwall, but I understand your feelings. If things don't improve it could be a while before I make the trip down to Perth again.

Good . I live in Perth.am going tae Dingwall .up the saintees.

see ye in the mallard fluck .maybe

11 hours ago, yahoorsir said:

Bollox

as long as he gets max tae fuk and plays sprangler the Austrian 🇦🇹 strangler we’ll be fine .ya bass

On 2/2/2024 at 9:55 AM, rik2304 said:

Watt had a bit of a purple patch right at the start but then tailed off. He won the Player on the Month if I remember correctly. 

What has watt got to do with Ross county. He’s jut a t watt get him tae fu