Ross County v St.Johnstone - Saturday 3rd February

SaintJet

Seems a long time ago that we went up to Dingwall at the start of the season and were well and trully manhandeled giving oxygen to the premise that we were relegation favourites. We were terrible that day and following the dismal League cup campaign a lot fans like me were coming to terms that maybe we were destined to Championship football.

A lot has happened since that game and most remarkably we find our selves above the waterline if only just.

This is a huge game for obvious reasons but the way fixtures are slated at the weekend it could be a pivitol game in the season.

We all have our thoughts on who's starting but again it's difficult to predict which way Craig Levein will go. I'm hoping Sprangler gets a start and Jais up front.

We need the lads to turn up and start putting all that hard work we're hearing about in training to good use.

Levein's setting us up to grind out a draw here, right? Five defenders, two defensive midfielders, no wingers, one up front. I'll be amazed if he does anything else.

A draw's obviously better for us than it is for them, especially away from home. But I can't help but feel Ross County are going to pick things up and go on a better run at some point of the season, and with their game in hand that leaves us particularly vulnerable.

Hoping Kane is back in the squad, Clark is able to start and Sprangler gets picked. I'd leave Benji on the bench to use as a sub against tired legs later in the game. If it was up to me May would be back in the mix too but that seems unlikely to happen.

Fingers crossed for this one. Even the spawniest, scrappiest, ugliest one-goal win would be massive for us.

The negative feeling about this game is hard to throw off.  Maybe the howling wind (forecast 70-80mph in that area) will damage their stadium and the match will be postponed allowing us to find some kind of rhythm. 

We do look better playing on the front foot.  If Levein would actually attack them their dodgy defence will offer opportunities but like Blueheaven says we'll be set up for a point in the vain hope we can keep a clean sheet.   

Does it matter who the forwards are as it seems we don't create the chances?  Harland wouldn't score for us. 

I'd go 4,3,3 and have a go.  I'd rather lose 3-2 than one nil, having crossed the halfway line twice (only because we kick off one half).  

Actually, that a good point.

When was the last time we "got into thum"?

We don't stamp any kind of authority on games. We don't get in anyone's faces, and break up there play, recycle the ball and swarm up the field exchanging passes.

I know the game has changed (yawn, old man shouts at cloud) but we are too passive and let 80% of every game happen to us, then expect to do something with the last kick of the game.

So I repeat the call...

Get into thum!!

Another big game, with our upcoming fixtures and RC games in hand, we really can’t drop points on this game.

Would love to see Clark and Benny start up front together and see what RC are made of in defence instead of a single striker up front.

Will take a 1/0 result and move on to our next game.

i do think we will be parking the bus unfortunately in this one.

Edited by pezza70
Typo

9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Levein's setting us up to grind out a draw here, right? Five defenders, two defensive midfielders, no wingers, one up front. I'll be amazed if he does anything else.

A draw's obviously better for us than it is for them, especially away from home. But I can't help but feel Ross County are going to pick things up and go on a better run at some point of the season, and with their game in hand that leaves us particularly vulnerable.

Hoping Kane is back in the squad, Clark is able to start and Sprangler gets picked. I'd leave Benji on the bench to use as a sub against tired legs later in the game. If it was up to me May would be back in the mix too but that seems unlikely to happen.

Fingers crossed for this one. Even the spawniest, scrappiest, ugliest one-goal win would be massive for us.

Kane? Really? Why?

48 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

And Kane has?

IMG_4051.jpeg

I'm not trying to argue that Kane is a prolific goalscorer. Everyone knows he's not. But he's carved out a role for himself at Saints that has proven useful and effective over the years, in lieu of anyone else coming in and doing his job any better. So yes, until someone else emerges who is contributing more, then I'd continue to have him involved in the squad.

My point was that DJ and Kimpioka haven't demonstrated themselves to be any more effective than Kane, and they haven't.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm not trying to argue that Kane is a prolific goalscorer. Everyone knows he's not. But he's carved out a role for himself at Saints that has proven useful and effective over the years, in lieu of anyone else coming in and doing his job any better. So yes, until someone else emerges who is contributing more, then I'd continue to have him involved in the squad.

My point was that DJ and Kimpioka haven't demonstrated themselves to be any more effective than Kane, and they haven't.

Does that role still exist? Would it still be effective with our current personnel?

When you talk about being useful and effective I assume you are referring to a time when we were blessed with creative and attacking wing backs: Brian Easton, Dave Mackay, Scott Tanser, Shaun Rooney, Danny McNamara

Goal scoring midfielders: Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, Danny Swanson, David Wotherspoon, Murray Davidson, Matty Kennedy

Quality finishers: Steven MacLean, Tony Watt, Stevie May, Guy Melamed.

We not longer have that personnel to benefit from Chris Kane’s style or role. No room for sentiment when we are in such a precarious position. 

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Does that role still exist? Would it still be effective with our current personnel?

When you talk about being useful and effective I assume you are referring to a time when we were blessed with creative and attacking wing backs: Brian Easton, Dave Mackay, Scott Tanser, Shaun Rooney, Danny McNamara

Goal scoring midfielders: Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, Danny Swanson, David Wotherspoon, Murray Davidson, Matty Kennedy

We not longer have that personnel to benefit from Chris Kane’s style or role. No room for sentiment when we are in such a precarious position

Tony Watt was never a quality finisher in Perth. How he managed to get an award at our POTY night, pre pandemic, is beyond me. If memory serves I don't think he played too often, or scored more than a handful. 

Could be wrong of course!

17 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Tony Watt was never a quality finisher in Perth. How he managed to get an award at our POTY night, pre pandemic, is beyond me. If memory serves I don't think he played too often, or scored more than a handful. 

Scored 7 goals and contributed 5 assists in one season for us(2018/19). Puts him amongst a small % of players who have a return like that for us in a single season.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

12 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

We not longer have that personnel to benefit from Chris Kane’s style or role. No room for sentiment when we are in such a precarious position. 

I pretty much agree with all of this but none of it actually affects my point, which is that neither DJ nor Kimpioka have shown themselves to be any more effective than him so far. I'm all for fielding better strikers than Chris Kane (and Stevie May, and Nicky Clark). What I'd dispute is whether or not we've actually found those better strikers.

11 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

I thought Tony Watt looked a really good player at first, and he formed part of what was very briefly an exciting front line for us. But he went in the huff halfway through the season (seemingly the norm for him at several of his clubs) and barely did anything in the second half of that season. I've just had a look at his stats and he only scored two goals for us in the league (one in August and one in December). His other five goals for us were all scored in the League Cup. Between February and the end of that season he only managed 90 minutes twice, and from the beginning of March onwards he didn't start a single game.

Interesting to see Dundee United's front line at the weekend was Watt, Middleton and Wotherspoon. Would people take those three back at Saints over what we have at the moment?