Saints vs. Brechin City 18/09/07

Perth-Saint

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I arrived at the park at five past eight (having worked until 8) hoping to blag entrance. Found players running around trackside and a heated discussion with much pointing at lights in the Main Stand - pretty bizarre!

If you read the statement, Duff is furious. I am still pretty gutted at the postponement, but not for personal reasons.

Imagine the fans (of both sides) who have travelled a distance; how has the Match Commander made The Club look in their eyes? Hazel correctly points out that the club will be penalised heavily in financial terms through some intangible conditions. Perhaps, most importantly, the players routine for the week is scuppered. I reckon that they didn't play the bounce game (based on the players running around the trackside) and perhaps under the circumstances that is a good thing. I reckon they didn't train fully today and probably wouldn't have been expected tomorrow so that's all tits up.

Bad night for us all, but lets not snipe at the club. They have lost more than us and fought harder than us to get the game played. Lets back the club, through this issue. I'm not sure that writing to the commnader helps, perhaps an article in the PA or Evening Telegraph?

Means there was possibly a short across it which would either take simply replacing a fuse, checking ALL the wiring to the lights, or needing to replace a couple of bulbs which were stopping the circuit being complete i think. Im not a sparky, just an engineer LAUGH OUT LOUD

Cheers PS.

If it was such a simple thing why couldnt it be fixed? Surely Saints have some sort of maintenance person at the ground?

The police should be made to account fully, in public, why they called the game off and didnt allow the other stands to be used. Health and Safety is becoming a bigger farce in this country than political correctness.

I drove through from Stirling. Got to the ground early enough to be about tenth in line at the turnstile. Stood for ages. Policeman told us there was an electrical problem with the turnstiles (!?) and that they were fixing it. After a while he was seen to be listening to his earpiece and then told a few of us at the front the game was postponed. Then we find out the real reason. No point writing to the match commander or anyone else in the police - all you will get back is a patronising statement reiterating the importance of health and safety and the attendant risks of holding a match in a poorly lit stadium, and how it presented further difficulties in moving to another stand. It would not in any way address the complaint cos they will simply stick to their pathetic excuses. I am adult enough to decide for myself what represents a risk to my health or safety, and this one doesn't come near to a risk. Stupid.

The club blame the police, the police blame the club, the stewards blame everybody else - heard this before:?:

Talking to a couple of guys on the way out who had made a 300 mile round trip for this farce - will they be back next Tuesday?

In fact I have decided here and now to protest and not go next Tuesday either (the fact I am away has nothing to do with this decision:wink: ).

The anger being pored out is directed at the total lack of communication - the stewards and police at the turnstiles only spoke to the front dozen or so all the time we were waiting and then got others to wander round telling people 'There's a fault with the lights or electricals or something like that'.

When it was called off they made absolutely no attempt to let other than the front few know what was happening and the stewards further up the car park were not informed at all what was happening. Surprisingly the car park stewards had been told not to refund any parking fees, but to tell punters to keep their tickets for the game being replayed.

Oh and one other thing. The official club site went as far as they could without actually calling the match commander a prat. Well done Saints for that at least. If the polisman didn't know what was going on (turnstiles broken) what chance did the club have of knowing, and how could they have done anything differently?

Have any of you been to a game anwhere in the country/world where the floodlights have failed, or there has been a lighting failure elsewhere in the ground, and the game has had to be postponed/abandoned.

Anyone tells us what and how EVERYONE got to know?

No.

Right then, all the best plans go belly up when extraordinary things happening.

Get a life all you moaners. Health and Safety is legislated for, and what would have happened if there had been some sort of disaster whether there were 1000,10000, or 100000 fans in a dimly lit stadium.

That said, my first reaction was 'where is the duty electrician'?

Have any of you been to a game anwhere in the country/world where the floodlights have failed, or there has been a lighting failure elsewhere in the ground, and the game has had to be postponed/abandoned.

Anyone tells us what and how EVERYONE got to know?

No.

Right then, all the best plans go belly up when extraordinary things happening.

Get a life all you moaners. Health and Safety is legislated for, and what would have happened if there had been some sort of disaster whether there were 1000,10000, or 100000 fans in a dimly lit stadium.

That said, my first reaction was 'where is the duty electrician'?

Yeah fair enough, but what are emergency lights for then?

Further to my previous slightly sarcastic approach to the stadium lighting and the fiasco created by Perth Police and also on a more serious note.............

The stadium lighting in McDiarmid is compliant and the ground has a safety certificate from P&KC. The Match Commander would not allow the stadium to go ahead as in his view 'there was inadequate lighting' he would also not, after repeated requests by the club allow any fans to be moved to the East stand as in his view 'there was inadequate lighting' he was not going to be budged. The McDairmid maintenance team did everything they could right up to proposed kick off time to persuade him to no avail.

The communication could have been better however, as we all know in circumstances during what could only be described as a Fiasco by the Police, communication can be lost. The stadium PA system, (which has also just been upgraded), at our ground and any other ground for that matter can only be heard inside.

Can you imagine if our name had come out of the hat second at the draw, we would have played at Brechin. I have better lighting in my shed than Brechin have. Our stadium is far more advanced than those of our so called peers.

Furthermore I do know for a fact that not only does McDiarmid park have the normal stadium lighting but also has battery powered back up and if that fails an auto kick-in diesel generator.

The place was entirely safe.

I blame Derek McInnes for all this

I agree, Im sure his brother is that police commander match dude! LAUGH OUT LOUD

When Mr Brown drove by me when I was in the queue, he didnt look happy. I reckon someones balls are on the chopping block for this.

Lack of communication and guidance. Who was in charge?? :roll:

Hopefully "The Board" can write up some new contingency plans or a better organised walk-through before home games :cool:

You are obviously an expert in HASAW and Policing then? If there were these back up facilities why would these options not have been tried.

...........while not an expert on HaSaW act I am responsible for it, although I would draw a line at Policing. I was reliably informed that the back up systems were all operable tonight...........

This is the sort of OTT reactionary outlook that has seen H&S become a total joke. You would be just as well banning everything that has a crowd.

In fact, I believe we'll soon be banned from leaving home without wearing the soon to be issued Goverment Cotton Wool Protective Suit that will be given to all citizens..only £50 each, added to your council tax. They will be black with veils so that we dont offend the muslims and have hoods so as not to upset those from single parent families who were not breast fed. As from 1 January 2008 we will only be able to cross the road at offical crossing places and we will be taken over the road by Government Road Crossing Safety Officers who will wear big squirrel outfits and hold our hand.

Give me strength.

This is the sort of OTT reactionary outlook that has seen H&S become a total joke. You would be just as well banning everything that has a crowd.

In fact, I believe we'll soon be banned from leaving home without wearing the soon to be issued Goverment Cotton Wool Protective Suit that will be given to all citizens..only £50 each, added to your council tax. They will be black with veils so that we dont offend the muslims and have hoods so as not to upset those from single parent families who were not breast fed. As from 1 January 2008 we will only be able to cross the road at offical crossing places and we will be taken over the road by Government Road Crossing Safety Officers who will wear big squirrel outfits and hold our hand.

Give me strength.

Where is the wee clapping smiley when you need it?