Petrol prices

StDuncM

I was sent this today and thought it would be good for everyone to read. cut and paste and send it on.

TO ALL PETROL/DIESEL USERS!

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 123.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 2.00 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't

continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever

thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place

not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not

purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the

message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and

pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,

all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes

sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

I was sent this today and thought it would be good for everyone to read. cut and paste and send it on.

TO ALL PETROL/DIESEL USERS!

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 123.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 2.00 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't

continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever

thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place

not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not

purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the

message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and

pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,

all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes

sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

Don't mean to throw a spanner in the works, and without the exact details and facts, i would throw a guess that somewhere along the line places like Tesco, Asda and the like are supplied by either BP/Esso and or their sister companies.

So it probably wouldn't really hurt them at all.

Exactly, the problem lies with the government, petrol stations, especially small private ones are making next to nothing, as oil is so expensive

The real alternative is either an LPG conversion or getting a kit to run your can on vegetable oil, thats the best way to get round the price hikes... Everyone has a local chippy with plenty used oil!

LAUGH OUT LOUD...

This is funny... You do realize that BP, Shell etc don't make a single penny out of selling petrol in petrol stations - the money is made from the food you buy in the shop. They are basically selling their petrol at a loss, and as was pointed out before, its the government you should be looking at.

The oil companies make their money by selling and developing oil based technology for literally billions and billions of dollars each year. They wouldn't give a flying **** if people stopped buying their petrol - infact, it would probably SAVE them money!

LAUGH OUT LOUD...

This is funny... You do realize that BP, Shell etc don't make a single penny out of selling petrol in petrol stations - the money is made from the food you buy in the shop. They are basically selling their petrol at a loss, and as was pointed out before, its the government you should be looking at.

The oil companies make their money by selling and developing oil based technology for literally billions and billions of dollars each year. They wouldn't give a flying **** if people stopped buying their petrol - infact, it would probably SAVE them money!

Load of hoosh, all that time on the sunbed with Tommy Sheridan's fried your brain.

The problem lies with the government. We get humped for fuel tax. Humped for council tax. Humped for income tax. Humped for VAT. We pay tax on our savings. Tax on our pensions. We even pay tax on our money when we die and want to give it to our own family. They tax our pension when we put it in, and tax it again when we get it out. The worst of it is - we dont really have a good standard of living. Its not bad, but for the amount of tax we pay it should be better. I mean, for the amount of road tax and tax on petrol we pay - look at the state of our public transport system.

I dont mind paying tax but the government are really taking the piss these days. I even had to buy my own bloody wheelie bin. You would think the £1800 a year council tax would pay for that :mad:

petrols gonnae run out sometime .so its time to walk and cycle,ban the car and breed horses .

A good point 'slf' and when it does - what are the "I HAVE A RIGHT TO A HOLIDAY IN xxx EVERY YEAR AND NOBODY CAN STOP ME GOING" brigade or the "I DRIVE MY CHILDREN 200 YDS TO SCHOOL EACH DAY BECAUSE IT SAVES TIME" shower going to do then....?? We will eventually return to the days where only 'some' people will have the luxury of mechanical transport and holidays may no longer mean that you have to travel abroad or the length of the country - ie. you'll be able to relax. And probably not a bad thing - mind you I won't be around to see it. :rolleyes:

Slf & Indicator have made decent points. Oil/Fuel is a finite resource and at the moment there is a world demand or fear that cannot be met or resolved the price will rise. It has nothing to do with the British government whatever party were in power since there is huge worldwide demand and Britain is just small beer. If your comparing the tax on fuel then the United States and France is lower but Germany, Holland and the Scandinavian countries are higher relative to personal incomes. I was walking past the junction at the police station after visiting the retail park a couple of weeks ago and noticed incredibly that out of around 30 cars there were only two cars with more than one in it. That's been the big change - everybody in a household has a car and small towns like Perth to large metropolitan cities are clogged up with cars. Will it be sustainable as the population grows and everybody has the right to a car causing demand for oil to rise even more? Where does the money come from to build new roads/motorway infrastructure? Where does the money come from to help with the pollution, parking, etc.? I think fuel tax helps towards that and maybe some demand for NHS expenditure, care for a growing elderly population, etc. too. Fuel tax just goes into the national pot and a government wouldn't charge it to pay for nothing otherwise we'd notice a huge surplus in the balance of payments and we aint got that at the moment thanks to worldwide and local events e.g. daft Geordie bankers.. If we restructured the NHS & local government e.g. privatised them, then our incme tax and fuel tax would be similar to that of the United States where there is still local taxes. It's not possible to get it both ways.

Example to ponder: breakdown of fuel costing 107.9p (dated price I know, but bare with me)

Product 32.6p

Retailer/Delivery 8.88p

Duty, some refer this to 'fuel tax' 50.35p

VAT (value added tax) 16.07

so why is the govt applying VAT to the fuel duty? VAT on Duty is a tax on a tax.

On the example above if VAT was only charged on Product + Delivery the total cost of fuel would be 99.09p per litre as opposed to the 107.9p

I have stopped buying from the big guns, but Im not sure much will happen, particularly as my fuel bills a month are around the £200 mark... The only way 'we' can do anything is stop using the fuel. This is impossible for many.

The peoples word means nothing to the govt (aka year 2000 strikes achieving very little), the only way things can change if the Fuel Powers use their massive influence to lobby the govt. It frustrates me as there are no viable alternatives to use. everything is geared to the price of oil, for my journey to work the car is faster and still cheaper option to use. I would require 3 buses and my journey time would be double. hmmmm..... if fuel was costing £2 per litre, I would still buy it as I need too... this is the scary thing!

and fuel duty is indeed to upkeep our roads. There is another 2p fuel duty (tax) increase to be added next year remember :(

I would have no problem with Fuel Tax and Fuel Prices if we had a decent alternative to driving.

I mean if we had cheap, regular buses and trains which made it easy to get around then more people would use them. Instead, I pay £85 a month to travel 10mins on the train and thats with a season ticket. If you work in Glasgow and live in edinburgh, it costs £17 a day on the train for a 45 minute journey - no wonder people drive the 80 mile round trip for half that price.

We need bigger trains, more frequent trains, bigger train stations, more buses and bus lanes etc. That would get half the cars off the road.

Also, I car share to the footie from near Glasgow and pick up a guy in Falkirk. For us to car share, it costs about £5 each in petrol. If we were to get the train, it costs about £13 each plus we need to get from the town to the game. Until it becomes cheaper to get public transport people wont stop using cars.

Trains are stupidly expensive. A return from Perth to Stirling (where I work) at peak time is £14.40. My petrol for that 65 mile(ish) round trip is about £9 at current prices. Even when you take into account insurance etc it still works out cheaper, and is obviously much more flexible.

It is vital that the prices are dropped. But as privatised companies the train operators are there to make a profit, so it isn't gonna happen.

It is vital that the prices are dropped. But as privatised companies the train operators are there to make a profit, so it isn't gonna happen.

What sticks in my throat is the fact that the government (ie we, through our taxes) are subsidising many of the train-operating companies with more money than when they were publicly-owned and operated.

I say, renationalise the lot, so the money goes into improving services (oh, and my wages :wink: ) and reducing fares, instead of straight into shareholders' pockets.

Petrol down here is at roughly $1.90 per litre

This email ahs been floating around down here for ages

The oil prices go up tonight and the petrol goes up the next yet, the petrol is already in the underground tanks, and that petrol doesnt change its price

Assholes the lot of them

You have to look at the arseholes on the stockmarket who are making money out of the current price rises too. The price of late has been going up because demand is increasing in India and China without the oil producing nations releasing more supplies. The commodities traders are then speculating that the price of oil will go up and making huge amounts of money when it does. The government aren't to blame for the current price or the huge recent price rises it's down to OPEC and red-braces wearing city boys and it's them the government should be going after.

If the value of Oil does go up then the value of the petrol (even though it has already been bought) obviously goes up too!

On the plus side, maybe the high prices will finally result into some proper research and development into alternative sources of non combustible fuel.

There's enough people moaning about the costs of petrol- form some sort of opposition rather than complain that it's the governments fault, if a large enough group of people band together then they can either heavily influence the existing government or form their own.

There was outrage here when petrol (or gas as they anoyingly call it) reached the $1.00 mark only a month ago, already it's up to $1.26 and set to rise again. But this is still only around the 50p a litre mark, so it doesn't deter the amount of ridiculous gas-guzzling massive 6 litre SUV's some people have to take the kids to school...

• 1 month later...