Saints or Saintees? Discuss.

soulfulsaint

But no one has pin-pointed when the term Saintees emerged. After the '80s but when Totten era, Sturrock era? I need to know or I will die an unhappy death and you will all be to blame.

I believe the word was used in an "offical" book during the early 90s, but I don't have it to hand so can't say for 100% certain. But if you look at the 'Who's Who of St Johnstone' that was released around 1992-ish, I'm sure it says "Saintees One and All" on the inside, on the first page. I remember this quite clearly because I had that page signed by the team when I was a kid.

I've always associated Saintees with the people of the club rather than the actual club. In the same way that Arsenal fans are Gooners but the club is the Gunners.

It always seemed to me saintees should refer to the fans not the club. Even then I don't like it! Are Dundee united gonna call themselves unitedees to differentiate themselves from all the other uniteds? I don't think so!

Anyway, nice to provide some filler time subject for the souful one and his radio prog.

I had never heard the term Saintees until it was mentioned on an extinct (memory failure) Saints forum.

When the old mailing list moved to a new server in 1996 or so, I named it 'Saintees' after offering the name for approval. I hadn't noticed it in the Who's Who but could swear I saw it quoted by Mr Cosgrove in a magazine article, FourFourTwo or such like.

Anyhow, I definitely heard people referring to 'Sainties' or such like, at games long before that; mostly older folk and especially women, in the 1980s.

Definitely "Saintees".

Because "Saint" and "Saints" weren't available at the California DMV.

He He just what I was thinking for the Alberta Licence, both Saints and Saint were already used so I have to decide between Saintee and PSJ1884. Pretty cool that it only costs $200 for you personal number plate compared with $$$$$$ in the UK

When the old mailing list moved to a new server in 1996 or so, I named it 'Saintees' after offering the name for approval. I hadn't noticed it in the Who's Who but could swear I saw it quoted by Mr Cosgrove in a magazine article, FourFourTwo or such like.

Anyhow, I definitely heard people referring to 'Sainties' or such like, at games long before that; mostly older folk and especially women, in the 1980s.

Yes I also remember much older women saying it to. Most of my girlfriends. You are right D. It was used as a term endearment by older women, most of whom never went to games, but still have a soft spot for Saints.

One of the things that the song writers of the 70s - mostly the Academy Saints Bus - claimed was that Saints fans could sing any terracing song because there was a name that fitted every beat of a football song: Saints, Perth Saints, SJFC, St Johnstone and best of all

"Perth St Johnstone are the Champions. They're the best team in the land.

Henry Hall is the General and The Leader of the Band.

I suspect it was through songs that the term 'Saintees' really caught on too. "We Love You Saintees ...Oh saintees We Love You.

The song doesn't scan as Saints so did it take off to suit the song?