Respect

101 Saint

A number of posts on this very forum have caused me to wonder about the level of respect we show to employees of St Johnstone Football Club. Perhaps, I am old fashioned, undoubtedly I can be insular; but I really cannot grasp how forumers can feel compelled to invade the personal space and private lives of people who strive to bring us so much pleasure and happiness.

Recently, we have seen posts detailing the registration mark of a car, the location of players’ dwellings, sexual allegations against the family of players and yesterday we had forumers claiming an entitlement to conversational rights with off-duty players.

Why the obsession? I love the club because it’s my local club, my dying grandfather took me as a child, it’s well run and based on good values.

I don’t know any of the players and the closest I ever got was being at the same schools as Sergei Baltacha jnr. I have no particular friendship with current players/coaches, but I don’t feel this detracts from my status as a Saints supporter. I wouldn’t give any extra benefit to the club on the strength of a friendship, a Bebo link, a conversation at Fat Sams, renting my drive to Jason Scotland etc..

Radford and I, both saw the reserve game at East Fife when McKoy played his first game in a Saints shirt and we both reported back on it because the gaffer had put him in the public eye. I posted that we shouldn’t sign him and stuck to my guns when we did. I believe I was correct, if unpopular. I wouldn’t comment, in that way, on a player I had only seen in training.

When I saw an incident with a player at training last year, I didn’t report it. Not because it wasn’t interesting, not because I didn’t want to upset the player; simply it was an issue which couldn’t have been resolved by web chat. The manager knew what was required and acted accordingly.

I think it boils down to a lack of respect. I met Lark Saint at training a few months back and we fundamentally disagreed over many things. We both had information from various sources that would have been manna from heaven for gossip mongers. Neither of us posted the information on this forum out of respect. Lark had a very good story, straight from Del’s mouth.

Let’s think about what we post. I’m not promoting propaganda. I pay my money and if a player cocks up, I want the freedom to say so. Equally when Del signs a player of Midge’s calibre, I want to express my gratitude.

I don’t care to read about; who’s shagging who, who eats McDonalds, who likes a spliff, who stays in Comrie, who drives the black Lexus, which supermarket Mental shops in or who Mooner has recently added on Bebo.

Remember, our players and their families read your posts. Alain Main’s son did not enjoy reading that his dad was a trouble maker. Imagine going to school and hearing that his dad is a wanker because it says so on weareperth! We’ll never have board representation or a useful federation whilst this crap goes on.

I agree with everything you say 101 saint but at the end of the day, people are people and they will talk, especially about racy issues because frankly, normal life is quite boring.

Also, thats pretty awesome if one of the saints squad is into having a spliff now and then. Can totally picture Samuells with a big jay hanging out his mouth.

I agree with everything you say 101 saint but at the end of the day, people are people and they will talk, especially about racy issues because frankly, normal life is quite boring.

Also, thats pretty awesome if one of the saints squad is into having a spliff now and then. Can totally picture Samuells with a big jay hanging out his mouth.

:laugh:

I can also picture Peaso in Mcdonalds, munching through a big mac!

Who the heck would live in Comrie?!

:laugh:

I bet Martin Hardie shops in Tesco in Blairgowrie since thats where Lorraine Kelly shops too so we are obviously pulling in the superstars.

As for the Black Lexus, well screw those. Who wants to support a club where the players are in Ferrari and Lexi. Gimme a club full of feasty and saxo drivers anyday.

....and yet you named a player in your last paragraph. I did not get to read the deleted post about this issue and wondered what it was about - now I know.

Apart from this quibble I agree with you.

Your quibble is incorrect. Alan Main (and Hardie) were accused of causing trouble back in August/September. Lark Saint told me that Alzo's kids read the forum and were upset by the falsehoods.

I agree 101 Saint.

Leave the bloody players alone to get on with their work. People prying into the players private lives comes from, what I think, is the small insular town mentality.

I also know what cars players drive, where they shop, etc but I leave them alone to do it and get on with their own lives.

Nobody would like it if someone you didn't know essentially stalked you and made incorrect and false statements online. Stems on Defamationdefamation of that individuals character.

Support the team, staff and players. If there is in-fighting or any other rubbish leave them to it, it doesn't need publicised. Just like if you didn't like folk at your work.

Rant over...........

I agree with a lot of what you said 101 but some i think is a bit too formal. A lot of fans maybe want to know more about their favourite player, what they like doing out of saints etc. The part i agree with you on is it may be an invasion of their privicy and that is a bit too much but trivial minor observations about players in my opinon should not be dismissed. If someone said, ''i saw mad mental out last night, he loves his magners'' I would find that interesting and i dont think its delving too much into his private life. But yeah on a whole agree but the smaller things should be embraced with a laugh.

If the players dont like the publicity or that his life shall be looked at by thousands of fans, then get another job. When you become a footballer you are in the spotlight, this does not even have to be said. I am interested in all talk regarding St Johnstone no matter what it is, so please continue to post, if there are skeltons in the cupboard they are sure going to get you, particularly if the player becomes very successful, the media will find out.

I respect the free word, and glad people have opinions. Although some knowledge is more harmful than others. Whoever grassed up O'Boyle and Thomas started all this :D It is simply life....

This coming from the guy who is always telling us about his insider knowledge:?

Just another opportunity for him to tell the world how superior he is to all us regular saints.

I share the opinion that its not right to invade someone's personal life, but to be honest it's part and parcel of being a footballer these days, and i'm sure, like it or not, footballers will accept it.

Is it not the case that Footballers are in the public domain anyway and as such if they misbehave then they leave themselves wide open to criticsm.......Im sure if any slanderous remarks were or are made then the Moderators / administrators have the right to censor and delete posts as well as banning offenders.

Kids and relatives of any clubs players and staff will always be targets by opposition supporters.....and im pretty certain that there are no specific schools set aside primarily for Saints or any other clubs children.....therefor there will always be taunts and words aimed at specific players kids....not because of what their fathers etc have done but by the affiliation to a specific club......I believe that we have several intelligent Mods/admins that can decide what is printable and what is not.

I must admit ive not seen much abuse on here aimed at the players private lives and if they join Bebo or any other such site then they are sharing their lives with anyone theron.

A number of posts on this very forum have caused me to wonder about the level of respect we show to employees of St Johnstone Football Club. Perhaps, I am old fashioned, undoubtedly I can be insular; but I really cannot grasp how forumers can feel compelled to invade the personal space and private lives of people who strive to bring us so much pleasure and happiness.

Recently, we have seen posts detailing the registration mark of a car, the location of players’ dwellings, sexual allegations against the family of players and yesterday we had forumers claiming an entitlement to conversational rights with off-duty players.

Why the obsession? I love the club because it’s my local club, my dying grandfather took me as a child, it’s well run and based on good values.

I don’t know any of the players and the closest I ever got was being at the same schools as Sergei Baltacha jnr. I have no particular friendship with current players/coaches, but I don’t feel this detracts from my status as a Saints supporter. I wouldn’t give any extra benefit to the club on the strength of a friendship, a Bebo link, a conversation at Fat Sams, renting my drive to Jason Scotland etc..

Radford and I, both saw the reserve game at East Fife when McKoy played his first game in a Saints shirt and we both reported back on it because the gaffer had put him in the public eye. I posted that we shouldn’t sign him and stuck to my guns when we did. I believe I was correct, if unpopular. I wouldn’t comment, in that way, on a player I had only seen in training.

When I saw an incident with a player at training last year, I didn’t report it. Not because it wasn’t interesting, not because I didn’t want to upset the player; simply it was an issue which couldn’t have been resolved by web chat. The manager knew what was required and acted accordingly.

I think it boils down to a lack of respect. I met Lark Saint at training a few months back and we fundamentally disagreed over many things. We both had information from various sources that would have been manna from heaven for gossip mongers. Neither of us posted the information on this forum out of respect. Lark had a very good story, straight from Del’s mouth.

Let’s think about what we post. I’m not promoting propaganda. I pay my money and if a player cocks up, I want the freedom to say so. Equally when Del signs a player of Midge’s calibre, I want to express my gratitude.

I don’t care to read about; who’s shagging who, who eats McDonalds, who likes a spliff, who stays in Comrie, who drives the black Lexus, which supermarket Mental shops in or who Mooner has recently added on Bebo.

Remember, our players and their families read your posts. Alain Main’s son did not enjoy reading that his dad was a trouble maker. Imagine going to school and hearing that his dad is a wanker because it says so on weareperth! We’ll never have board representation or a useful federation whilst this crap goes on.

I know this Lark saint knows that blah blah blah. get a life man

I'm quite surprised at all the hate being shoved onto 101 saint even though I agree with all the comments against him. If theres gossip involved with the st johnstone players I'd like to hear it. Does that make me a monster or a privacy invader or a stalker. Nah it makes me passionate about the club. Just because I might be mildly interested in what tipple Paul Sheerin prefers down the pub or what brand of washing up powder Irvines using doesn'ay make me cheer any less come Saturday afternoon.

Mon the saints!

aretha franklin

Not technically true Aretha's was the third version after Otis Redding from Macon Georgia, and The Rationals who were a garage Muzz-style indie band from Ann Arbor, Michigan, but Aretha's was arguably the best. (said a Soul and Saints trainspotter).

On the subject. I would hate the forum to be prudish but can agree with some of what 101 says. Its a very thin line between being friendly and intrusive. I also think there's a chasm of difference between fair comment about a player's performances and judgemental gossip about his private life.

I am of the view that Nick McKoy has not had a fair chance but when he has been given an opportunity he has not grabbed it. So I can understand why fans may have formed an opinion and stick by it. Watching training is odd in itself. I have disagreements at work but when we are involved in a team effort in a professional context you would not know that there were disagreement, football is no different, and it would be surprising if it was.

One thing I can't stand is forumers who have 'negative' inside knowledge and seem to take delight in spreading unsubstantaited rumour than can be of no possible benefit to the club and its well being. That's very different from having a bit of a laugh at a player's off-field actvities when its done in good heart. Its all about intent - is your intention to be spiteful and harm Saints if so - then beat it.

I am of the view that Nick McKoy has not had a fair chance but when he has been given an opportunity he has not grabbed it.

Just out of internest, why are you bringing up Nick McKoy in this thread when I've seen no mention of him so far.

The reason I ask is I was very critical of McKoy when he first signed although I 100% agree he has not been given a fair chance. I was hopeful he would become the successor to the bossman of midfield once Hardie hangs up his boots but it just hasn't kicked off for him.