Alan Main - New Contract?

Slowhand

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is he a clubman?

Yes. But not on a john terry/stevie gerrard level. He is not living his dream (if it was his dream to play for saints in the spl then he ain't much of a dreamer) but he still shows a lot of passion for the club.

Legend, great servant and 'clubman'.

Saying that I see 'clubman' as an ambassadorial role. But has anyone defined the word?

Alan Main has been a fantastic goalkeeper for St.Johnstone. However, we must replace him now rather than wait until during the season to bring in another keeper.

Rab Douglas would have been a great signing for us. If he is unavailable I would take Paul Gallagher with Main as back up. That would free McLean to be farmed out to gain 1st team experience at a lower level.

That would free McLean to be farmed out to gain 1st team experience at a lower level.

That's why I'd be really keen for Main to stay, even if he's not going to be first choice. I could look it up but I'd guess Euan McLean hasn't played more than 20 games in his career and he's now 23 or 24, so basically he's still very inexperienced and for all he's training and playing reserve games, he probably really needs a proper run of first team football. If we could get him out to a First Division side for at least six months, I think we'd be getting back a much better goalkeeper, or worst case scenario we'd maybe know if he had enough in him for a long term future at Saints.

I know it does not count for much but in the warm up prior to the game against Dundee his team mates were firing all sorts at him and he was throwing himself around looking pretty competent in shot stopping and handling.

Give the guy a chance. I am sure that Main or Del would not be happy with a duff No 2!

That's why I'd be really keen for Main to stay, even if he's not going to be first choice. I could look it up but I'd guess Euan McLean hasn't played more than 20 games in his career and he's now 23 or 24, so basically he's still very inexperienced and for all he's training and playing reserve games, he probably really needs a proper run of first team football. If we could get him out to a First Division side for at least six months, I think we'd be getting back a much better goalkeeper, or worst case scenario we'd maybe know if he had enough in him for a long term future at Saints.

But which SFL1 clyb will play him? Not as good as Robinson, Tuffey, Douglas, Gallagher, Robertson, Hutton etc..

I openly admit I was against his signing so it suit me to say he's hopeless, but... for all he made a good stop against Airdrie Bairns, he was awful, desperately poor against East Fife and Arbroath in the last few away reserve games.

Harold Bishop mentioned that Greg Kelly is returning and if that's true, we should punt McLean. McLean is the better shot-stopper in training, but just withers into a midget in games. McLean's kicking is on a par with Main, so very poor.

As for Alzo, I do not believe Del has agreed terms with a better keeper. He must stay for his latent talent and experience; his antics and coaching are irrelevant at this stage in his career. He is good enough for the SPL.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2009/05/20/sportstory13167544t0.asp

Meanwhile, Gallacher may well be SPL-bound, despite Dunfermline facing another season in the first division.

Although he has two years left on his contract, the one time Scotland keeper has been told he can leave East End Park if he gets fixed up elsewhere.

St Johnstone and Hibs are all thought to be eyeing the player.

“The possibility of my moving is something that’s been mooted but we’ll just have to see what happens,” confirmed Gallacher.

“I’d like to play at the highest level possible, but if nothing materialises then I’ll still be a Dunfermline player.”

But which SFL1 clyb will play him? Not as good as Robinson, Tuffey, Douglas, Gallagher, Robertson, Hutton etc...

Well, Robinson is only on loan at Queen of the South and is now back at Ibrox and I don't actually think he's any better than McLean, based on limited viewing admittedly.

Thistle could lose Tuffey this summer, the Pars could lose Gallacher and Queens are without a goalie at all. County don't have anyone of note either.

Well, Robinson is only on loan at Queen of the South and is now back at Ibrox and I don't actually think he's any better than McLean, based on limited viewing admittedly.

Thistle could lose Tuffey this summer, the Pars could lose Gallacher and Queens are without a goalie at all. County don't have anyone of note either.

If my aunty had balls...

Don't see Tuffey leaving yet, Gallagher maybe, Robinson may well go back to Queens and Joe Malin is highly rated by the Staggie at my work. I genuinely don't see him ever commanding a game at SFL1 level.

I have not seen McLean play a good game and nothing about him gives

me any hope that he will develop.Main could have 1 last season left in him

but it is a risk having him at 42 as our only real option in goal.Lets try for

Tuffy as back up next season and as first choice thereafter.

Do you honestly believe any semi decent keeper will join us just to be back-up for a season to Alan - I very much doubt it.

I suspect we won't use Main all season, rather rotate keepers between Main/Gallacher or what have you.
rotating keepers is never a good idea. If we bring in Gallacher I suspect he will be here at #1. Wont be coming in to play second fiddle. Perhaps this is the reason for Main stalling.

I suspect we won't use Main all season, rather rotate keepers between Main/Gallacher or what have you.

If we sign Gallagher, it appears he now has a more realistic salary in mind, and Main does not play, I'll be amazed. Gallagher is not good enough to oust Main and it would add fuel to my hunch that Del is replacing him based on age alone. Alan has many flaws, but he is a top notch goalkeeper and Del would do well to remind himself of the debacle of Stangate. Good goalies, in our price bracket, are like hen's teeth. I'd give him two years, without question.

At his age Main needs to play continuously to keep his edge. Any attempt to "rotate" him would finish him. I would think he knows that and will only sign as first choice keeper.

From what I saw of Gallacher in our games against Dunfermline, I think Main is still the better keeper of the two.

If we sign Gallagher, it appears he now has a more realistic salary in mind, and Main does not play, I'll be amazed. Gallagher is not good enough to oust Main and it would add fuel to my hunch that Del is replacing him based on age alone. Alan has many flaws, but he is a top notch goalkeeper and Del would do well to remind himself of the debacle of Stangate. Good goalies, in our price bracket, are like hen's teeth. I'd give him two years, without question.

Going into the SPL our goalkeeper is going to have a harder time of it. Main had a stroll in the park this season behind a very solid back 4. Next year we need a very good shot stopper, and I think Gallacher is at least a good one. Main just might find the pace of the SPL a bit too much.

Saying that, I think we're writing off McLean FAR too soon. Another case of the fans just not prepared to give someone a chance to develop.