#03 - 22/08/09 - Celtic 5-2 Saints - SPL

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask 101 saint where you sit at games? In convinced your a guy near the back of the east stand near the half-way line.

Anyways actually back to game! Thought we did alright, but theres no getting away we gave away some disappointing goals. Thought Sammy did a tireless shift up front and Morris was outstanding in the middle of the park. We did let McGeady and Maloney run riot at times and let them turn and run far too often. Having said that those two will cause damage to better teams than saints. Still think we could do with another centre-half for cover (not overly convinced about gartland) and a bit more creativity up top, but Im still pretty confident of 11th or above.

despite letting in 5 goals i had agood day out. fans were outstanding!

The decision to play Irvine at rb an Mackay rw baffled me esp when irvine is the more attacking.(something is wrong with Irvine , dont know if he's 100%fit)

I missed the burnley game where Mackay was meant to be outstanding but i have been disappointed with him, a lot of our attacks broke down because his control was so bad.

am i the only one who thought Fortune's 2nd was offside?

Maloney's goal defies belief that he was not closed down an as for skippy's ? fecking falling asleep is bang out of order at a set piece!

All that moaning aside we played some good football for 70 mins - we just had a crazy 10min spell each half. Morris was outstanding lovely goal and that bit in the 1st half where he turned his man inside out was beautiful. Millar did really well considering he's been out and Sammy caused their defence all sorts of problems-great finish!

Lets put the result to back of our minds and move on to the next game!!

I think Celtic will score two goals (minimum) so Saints should aim to score two from the start. Just keep the shots down and also crowd their box like we did last Saturday.

Well I was sort of right. Having said that it was good to see Saints attack at Parkhead even though it showed defensive weaknesses. 5-2 .. 3-0 .. same thing. I think if we sort out our defence we'll improve over the season. That Aiden McGeady was a good foreign signing for Celtic, if only Scotland had players like that. Colin Samuel was great.

Don't you guys dare ban him please... It is wrong to ban forumers just because we think they are rude, talk shite or have opinions which are not similar to ours. If something is considered legally dodgy, then by all means remove it but if you have to remove something, an explaination should be forthcoming. You are on the way to a dictatorship when you start banning people for not towing the party line..Say NO TO CENSORSHIP.

i agree with you big man.and if they dinnae agree with you then go ahead and spook em big ups.

Bit disappointed with the way we played today in all honesty. I don't want us to go to Celtic Park and shut up shop but we were just a bit too open today and Celtic punished us pretty emphatically, missing a few sitters and hitting the woodwork in addition to their goals, with Main also making at least one decent save. Amazed at folk saying we were defensive as we were anything but IMO and that was our problem. We did have the players to trouble them but needed to make sure we stopped Maloney and McGeady first.

Not sure we ever really troubled them too much but their defence, as Mowbray said post-match, must be a concern as they gifted us a few opportunities, none more so than Caldwell's assist for Samuel's goal, although it was a great finish by our man. Morris' goal looked good as well.

The two wide man for Celtic were the real difference and caused us big problems. Thought the Celtic fans were trying too hard to be impressed by Fortune and McDonald didn't really cause us too much bother. Donati pinged some nice passes about and Brown was decent, putting in a great tackle on Morais in the first half and nicking the ball from Grainger in the build up to the fourth. That was the best example of how open we were with Grainger making a run into central midfield and leaving us exposed at the back. Danny Fox looks pretty tricky too and stood up well to the aerial presence of Dave Mackay, who McInnes opted to play on the right of his midfield five. As I've thought with Rangers the last few times we've played them though, both Old Firm teams so a long way from what they were a decade ago.

Celtic fans outside the ground were decent craic and more than willing to point us in the right direction and the actor Brian McCardie was sitting just along from me, another Saint to add to the celebrity list? He's more famous than that Cosgrove bloke anyway!

Good to see a Glasgow born catholic supporting Saints !