City Hall

Jamie_Beatson

All three locations are pretty out of the way, and wouldn't get anywhere near the passing trade they do in the current location. When i've seen stalls on Tay street, they are generally pretty dead, as hardly anyone walks past there. The North and SOuth Inches are both pretty well used for various sports/activites - I think we are pretty lucky to have such large recreational spaces in the city, and i don't really see the need change them

I think you may not have picked me up correctly.

What I was suggesting was that Perth already has public space, its not like there is none at all close to the town centre.

Do we need to knock down the city hall to get some space?

I would certainly not put the monthly farmers market on either and from the plans of the PMT they wanted to move them from their current location to the South street side of the City hall. again somewhere with a bit more space than the current location.

every place in Perth seems to be struggling both financially and trying to encourage people to attend their premises -you only have to look at the pubs and clubs in and around Perth to see how many are on the brink of closure or reducing their opening times just to save on wages etc.

Is it down to poor management or just a sign of current times ?

Or maybe people are realising there is more to life than drinking and pissing their money up against a wall.

The Inches are no use for city square type activities except for a few dry weeks in summer. Tay street doesn't have the capacity for decent sized markets or activities using stages etc.

The fact is nobody interested in saving the building has presented a viable use for it. All this pie in the sky stuff about indoor markets and shops has been rubbished by auditors and crucially nobody has put any money forward.

All the while public money is wasted keeping it standing. If Historic Scotland refuse permission to demolish it then they should foot the bills for it's maintenance.

If Historic Scotland (who do play a very important role) feel that the building needs to be protected, they can pay for it to be dismantled and rebuilt somewhere else....where in Perth would suit for it to be relocated??

Does Perth have a decent Art Gallery? Could it be used for that, to promote works from local artists?

Edited by Edstar101

I'd rather have an empty, but nicely designed city square (even if it never gets used for anything) than a crumbling, disused, eyesore of a city hall making the place look ugly. It's gone way beyond the point of biting the bullet and tearing the thing down. Let's face it - that's what's eventually going to happen anyway. Is it really necessary to keep stalling on it and holding meetings and consultations for 20 years before it happens?

As it is I can think of quite a lot of uses for a city square in Perth, not all of which rely on brilliant weather. Just off the top of my head: markets, food stalls, arts fairs, art displays, a place to turn on the Christmas lights, a place for open air concerts and New Years Eve shows/parties, temporary fairground rides, temporary outdoor bars, temporary outdoor ice rink, temporary outdoor cinema, Santa's grotto, table tennis tables, a place for Saints fans to congregate before European matches, a place for Saints fans to congregate after winning the Scottish Cup, etc etc.

I don't think the problem is thinking up uses for a square. The problem is trusting the people in charge of the area to do something about it and get it right.

I'd rather have an empty, but nicely designed city square (even if it never gets used for anything) than a crumbling, disused, eyesore of a city hall making the place look ugly. It's gone way beyond the point of biting the bullet and tearing the thing down. Let's face it - that's what's eventually going to happen anyway. Is it really necessary to keep stalling on it and holding meetings and consultations for 20 years before it happens?

As it is I can think of quite a lot of uses for a city square in Perth, not all of which rely on brilliant weather. Just off the top of my head: markets, food stalls, arts fairs, art displays, a place to turn on the Christmas lights, a place for open air concerts and New Years Eve shows/parties, temporary fairground rides, temporary outdoor bars, temporary outdoor ice rink, temporary outdoor cinema, Santa's grotto, table tennis tables, a place for Saints fans to congregate before European matches, a place for Saints fans to congregate after winning the Scottish Cup, etc etc.

I don't think the problem is thinking up uses for a square. The problem is trusting the people in charge of the area to do something about it and get it right.

1 should the church in the old high street go first

2 there is plenty open space between the old bridge and the railway bridge to be used

tay street was going to be full of cafe's (still waiting)

3 was dundee's square used to film cold war Kremlin scenes

4 should the council ask the people of Perth what they want?

or will the council send in the wrecking crew like what happened to the tree at the school (sunday morning job)

1 should the church in the old high street go first

2 there is plenty open space between the old bridge and the railway bridge to be used

tay street was going to be full of cafe's (still waiting)

3 was dundee's square used to film cold war Kremlin scenes

4 should the council ask the people of Perth what they want?

or will the council send in the wrecking crew like what happened to the tree at the school (sunday morning job)

My answers...

1) Agreed but they must both go.

2) That's the river Tay. If you mean the private homes and offices on one side of Tay street, I don't remember such claims.

3) That's Dundee for you.

4 ) They have. I contributed. Did you?

every place in Perth seems to be struggling both financially and trying to encourage people to attend their premises -you only have to look at the pubs and clubs in and around Perth to see how many are on the brink of closure or reducing their opening times just to save on wages etc.

Is it down to poor management or just a sign of current times ?

Actually, i think a lot of it down to poor management and lack of ideas. The pubs and clubs in Perth are struggling because most of them are complete dives. The Twa Tams is pretty busy most times i've been in recently, but that is because they are offering something different, and they have good live music from bands from all over Scotland. Perth restaurants seem to be doing well, and i think it because they generally have very high standards. Worth noting that the ones that are doing the best are run by people who don't come from Perth!

I've also noticed that things seem to be picking up in the city centre - i see more stores opening than closing. Maybe just a sign of the economy picking up.

I don't think so. You wouldn't want to try and sell while they're still swinging the wrecking ball but I'm sure nice open views of the Kirk would be more attractive to buyers than staring at drab, crumbling sandstone.

Think unless you are aware of the area, which already attracts complaints from the residents, regarding the n'er do wells, who frequent the area, shouting, swearing and fighting with each other, much to the disgust of the residents, then don't think you appreciate what they are being put through.

My opinion is based on speaking to the residents in the course of my former employment.

It can only get worse for the people living there.

But then again, how many folk posting here and Councillors voting, would support this move if this was proposed outside their home.

N.I.M.B.Y. springs to mind.

We already have NIMBY regarding Wind farms.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Think unless you are aware of the area, which already attracts complaints from the residents, regarding the n'er do wells, who frequent the area, shouting, swearing and fighting with each other, much to the disgust of the residents, then don't think you appreciate what they are being put through.

My opinion is based on speaking to the residents in the course of my former employment.

But then again, how many folk posting here and Councillors voting, would support this move if this was proposed outside their home.

How about thinking of it this way....the City Hall is bound to assist in making noise in the street louder due to it creating a very closed in area. Also, those fighting will feel that their actions are in many ways hidden by the building and their chances of escape from the polis perhaps heightened through lack of line of site (running round corners etc)

Also, would down and outs really like to hang out in an open, windy square or huddle into the nooks and crannies of the City Hall building?

I don't know that particular area from a resident's point of view but I did work in it and lived in the city centre for a while. Noise and ne'er-do-wells are par for the course in any town centre, unfortunately. I can't honestly see how a square would make that more or less of a problem.