#02 - 21/08/10 - Saints 0-1 Aberdeen - SPL

I'd love for us to go to Ibrox and go 4-4-2 with Parkin and another, and really give Weir and Bougherra something to think about. It won't happen though.

If we do play 2 up front, they need to be pacey imo. Sammy has showed in the past how pace can expose Weir. Two up front makes sense, cause you need to keep Boug at the back as much as poss...one up front allows him to come forward whenever he feels like it.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we do play 2 up front, they need to be pacey imo. Sammy has showed in the past how pace can expose Weir. Two up front makes sense, cause you need to keep Boug at the back as much as poss...one up front allows him to come forward whenever he feels like it.

Not convinced that we need two pacey forwards. You can't go to Ibrox and play it on the deck all afternoon. At times we'll be a bit under the cosh, and there will be a few panicky clearances which will fall straight down the big defenders throats if there's nobody up there to challenge.

Stick Parkin up there, and he'll add a bit of presence and give Bougherra a bit of a contest. All it needs is for him to win a couple in the air, flick them onto the path of Sammy/Haber on a decent run and we've maybe got a half chance.

I know it's not that simple, and I've maybe not explained myself particularly well, but I think Parkin's movement and general play could give Bougherra and Weir a little to think about.

Surely all that is relevant is what they do in a St Johnstone shirt? Everyone is gonna have an opinion on players when they are signed but does every guy not deserve to start from the same point, with folk trying to have as open a mind as possible?

I look forward to James Grady's debut in a Saints shirt.

Would you have welcomed Armand One and Jim Hamilton during the summer instead of Parkin and Dobie?

The problem for Parkin is he's a big centre forward. And in recent years big centre-forwards haven't been particularly appreciated by a worryingly large number of Saints fans. Deuchar was getting dogs abuse on here in the first part of last season, and Derek Holmes made an excellent, yet largely unappreciated, contribution to our promotion winning season.

You can't expect a player like Parkin/Deuchar/Holmes to run around all day, be brilliant with the ball at their feet and show some pace. If they had all the attributes they'd be a hell of a lot higher up the league ladder than St. Johnstone.

I thought Parkin did fine today, won more than 50/50 in the air, and was a handful at times for Diamond and Ifil. Just a shame there wasn't much support for him a lot of the time today.

Stop talking sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):)

Special mention for the two pieces of sublime skill from Jody Morris today.

The defensive chip in the corner area in the first half and the magical trickery in the middle of the park in the second half made my trip south worthwhile.

Cheers Jody.

Yep, class always shines through and Jody's got it in abundance. Thought we were unlucky to lose yesterday given that Aberdeen had very few clear chances. Was nervous that they might sneak it as soon as Jody got injured though. Maybury had a great debut, looks solid, composed and will be a great asset this season, Dinkie also played very well.

Don't agree with those criticising Taylor though, I think he's doing exactly whats being asked, getting the crosses in, maybe not the quickest but you can't have it all.

Edited by Markinch Saint
Typo

Yep, class always shines through and Jody's got it in abundance. Thought we were unlucky to lose yesterday given that Aberdeen had very few clear chances. Was nervous that they might sneak it as soon as Jody got injured though. Mayberry had a great debut, looks solid, composed and will be a great asset this season, Dinkie also played very well.

Don't agree with those criticising Taylor though, I think he's doing exactly whats being asked, getting the crosses in, maybe not the quickest but you can't have it all.

Agreed all round.While I am not totally convinced on Parkin yet its far too early for me to be making black and white opinions of him.Would prefer Haber to be more centrally involved and I am sure Murray D. can provide some aerial power when on song.Seemed off form /unfit to me.Cant really understand either the doom and gloom of our lot or the elation of the sheep based on that very poor match

It was just a general point that I was making, I'm sick to the back teeth of the steady stream of abuse that seems to be directed at any Holmes/Deuchar/Parkin type player. The moaning has started already, and will only get worse.

I get your point entirely Calloway - I wonder if the club's history plays a role too. Its remarkable how man relatively small and popular strikers we have had over many years - Henry Hall, Jim O'Rourke, John Brogan, arguably McCoist, Nathan Lowndes, Miguel Simoa, George O'Boyle.

Unlike othet teams we have not had that many tall 'target' strikers and as you say those we have had have not won universal approval.

I agree with RADs though I don't think Parkin - or for that matter Haber - are the same 'types' of players as Holmes and Duechar

What about Grainger? You say him today, do you not feel he could have played?

I'm not picking on you, it's just you're one of the few sensible guys on here tonight and I tend to agree with you on most aspects of our team - at least regarding players.:laugh:

I think the Grainger situation for me is done with hindsight. I wouldn't have picked him from the start, albeit decision made with only limited information, but he seemed fine when on.

I dont have a problem with debate and discussion. You said in an other thread i was on the fence concerning you. Correct, think you make good points just dont like the way you do it sometimes,

I look forward to James Grady's debut in a Saints shirt.

Would you have welcomed Armand One and Jim Hamilton during the summer instead of Parkin and Dobie?

I think James Grady is quite likeable as it happens! I'm still struggling to see the point you are trying to make though. When Parkin for example signed, I think everyone was aware of the season he'd just had with Walsall but equally of the player he'd been previously. Didn't see much emphasis being placed on either and don't really see what it's got to do with the judgements being made of him now, which are based on his performances in a blue shirt. Equally, I don't see anyone defending him just because he used to play for Chelsea.

PS - Is Miguel Simoa related to Rudi Vanuatu?

I think the Grainger situation for me is done with hindsight. I wouldn't have picked him from the start, albeit decision made with only limited information, but he seemed fine when on.

I suspect grainger would be in some pain playing yesterday, as from reports it was bruising on the bone which can take a while to heal.

I think Parkin is taking some unfair stick. The problem he had yesterday was that our midfield was non existent and we resorted to front to back. Because haber and Taylor were wide he had no support and outside the box he's not mobile enough to chase down loose balls. If we play Parkin we need to get down the wing. You seen with his goal last week and his diving header yesterday he has quality in the box. Neither doc or homer would have made those headers.

I think these problems stem from losing Liam Craig from midlield as we have no width or presence without him. Too often we just pump it forward. As much as I love Davidsons heading ability, goal threat and brilliant tackling he is very rarely on the ball and we carry him for spells in a game. I wouldn't drop him but we need to pass it more.

I'd like to thanks Jings for his invaluable contribution. Articulate, witty and objective are just three of the words I wouldn't use to describe his rant.

With the exception of BlueJ's idiocy, this has been a very good read since Calloway 262s post about Parkin. Lot's of of informed and reasoned input. I do find myself wondering about the Scottish mentality, though. I suspect that those that don't rate Parkin are the same sort as those that wouldn't have Boyd in a team because, "all he does is score goals!"

I note that nobody has seriously doubted his ability to score goals. I reemind you that the aim of football is to score more goals than the opposition.

I'd just like to say that, due to 101's f***ing garbage on this thread; I really can't be f***ed reading any more.

Cheers 101, you really know how to f**k up a forum:evil::evil::evil:

I just read what he writes & laugh! Remember he is only a failed Chip Shop Mananger!!

As for yesterday, I'm not too disappointed. Thought defence was excellent especially that Pop Singer who should be washing the seats at McD when injured rather than writing songs. Thought Millar & Jody were great too. Jody showed some cheeky flair with his wee lob near the corner flag. We just lacked any clear goal scoring chances. Aberdeen were no better and won with a fluky goal. Thought there fans reactions to winning were hilarious, a bit like Real Madrid in Gothenburg!

Like the more rational posters i don't feel too dejected after yesterday,we have held our own comfortably in both our games,looking stronger defencively.My only concern is the lack of chances we're creating so far.Last season it was half a dozen most games,but so far this season the chances have been much less, and of a less clear cut nature.For the first time in ages ,i was out my seat for Rusty's "goal",hard to believe he missed.The sheep fans i was with said he was a yard wide of the goal ,and hit it straight a yard passed the goal,a really good chance,but he was outstanding in defence and my mom.

Have we improved in defence and got worse up front?

Disappointed that we lost but we didn't play badly and it was a good goal. We've played the same two teams as Accies so far. I'd rather be in our position! :laugh:

Think that sums it up Sam.

If we had decent striker who had enough pace to get to the ball before Diamond in the first half we would have scored. If Ruti had taken his time instead of instead of trying to score a screamer. If Ruti & Davidson could learn to head the ball down. Its a game of its & buts.

If Aberdeen think they are going to do much better than last season they are living in on a different planet.

Poor football yesterday with both teams resorting to punts most of the time.

Anybody read Mark Guidi in the Sunday Mail? Everyone quoting the sheep support @ 3,200(excellent) but he is 4,000plus.He says Enckelmann was almost redundant and Howard made several good saves yet still credits the sheep with twice as many shots on target as us.

Says P Pawlett denied a penalty after Doobs tackle(it was Maguire) etc.etc. This is what happens when hardly any Sat matches and the so-called senior reporters have to lower themselves to our level....Mr Guidi were you at the match ?

.For the first time in ages ,i was out my seat for Rusty's "goal",hard to believe he missed.The sheep fans i was with said he was a yard wide of the goal ,and hit it straight a yard passed the goal,a really good chance,but he was outstanding in defence and my mom.

i was away cheering like f**k :laugh: then thought it was a free kick then couldnt believe he missed :laugh:

was definately a 4231 with haber and taylor the wide players and millar roaming, as stated before we need to play a 442 players seem to step it up a level whenever we play it. think the critiscm of parkin is a bit harsh considering lone strikers are not generally viewed as "targetmen" but the boy has a decent first touch and will score goals for us, also good debut by maybury.

I think James Grady is quite likeable as it happens! I'm still struggling to see the point you are trying to make though. When Parkin for example signed, I think everyone was aware of the season he'd just had with Walsall but equally of the player he'd been previously. Didn't see much emphasis being placed on either and don't really see what it's got to do with the judgements being made of him now, which are based on his performances in a blue shirt. Equally, I don't see anyone defending him just because he used to play for Chelsea.

PS - Is Miguel Simoa related to Rudi Vanuatu?[/quote.]

Nice deflection sir but you never answered my question!