#14 - 06/11/10 - Saints 0-3 Kilmarnock - SPL

slf

Haven't logged in since the game. FWIW until they got their 2nd I thought we were more likely to score an equaliser - Jacko had a good claim for the penalty and Taylor hit the bar. Calling for Del's head is a total over-reaction. Injuries and suspensions caused us major problems yesterday.

Positives - Taylor's return to the side at least gave us some creativity. Jacko looked a lot sharper. Smith made some good saves.

Negs - Too many players off-form - Millar (1st half at least), Jody, Doobs (looked slow), Maybury (out of position), Mackay (inability to stay on his feet), Liam. We lost the game in midfield IMHO but we were also far too slow to get forward / back and close down the Killie players. Muzz' injury didn't help matters either.

Del and the players will be hurting after that - there's no doubt they'll come back stronger.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just pointing out they have taken six, i Dont think we're doomed why would you say that?

Because your post came over that way.

I would consider Killie to be more of our top 6 rivals than our relegation rivals mainly because I don't think we are one of the teams genuinely fighting relegation.

Yes, today we are as close to the bottom at the moment than we are sixth and the last couple of weeks have rocked the boat a bit, but long term I consider us a mid table team, not the relegation candidates your post suggested.

You are a moron!!!!! i'd love to watch the likes of you, alone in a room discussing football with the likes of derek mcinnes. he'd pull your pants down and watch you implode. moron!!!

Spot on. Pretty sure it's the same people who thought he should go after losing the three games at the start of 2008-09 season who are moaning. Pretty sure it's just a blip and when we're back at full strength we'll be fine.

Spot on. Pretty sure it's the same people who thought he should go after losing the three games at the start of 2008-09 season who are moaning. Pretty sure it's just a blip and when we're back at full strength we'll be fine.

Early 08/09 I don't think I ever called for his head. I called for rapid improvement but never outright called for his head.

Out of interest, how old are you Cynical?

The right side of 20.

I agree that calling for the manager to be sacked is an over reaction but an understandable one to an extent. That was arguably much worse than the previous week against much poorer opposition and we fielded a stronger team this week. In saying that, I don't think a lot of people realise how important a player Danny Grainger is for us and when he's missing, we're always the worse off for it. Perhaps Steven Anderson should've filled the gap instead of Alan Maybury, however.

At times yesterday I saw Liam Craig playing centre half and right back while Dave MacKay charged up the left wing. Millar also spent a lot of time on the left towards the end of the game until all of a sudden he popped up on the right and Cleveland appeared on the left for a spell. Craig appeared reluctant to make any sort of forward movement any time he was in his usual position, almost to the extent where it looked like he'd been told his dog would be murdered if he went forward!!!

In short, it was a mess. We held no shape and players were just all over the park at any given time, leaving huge gaps which Kilmarnock exploited all day. As important a player as Danny is for us, I find it hard to believe that the rest of the team could implode so spectacularly just because he's missing. However, it did account for how incredibly poor we were down the left side.

In saying that, I don't think a lot of people realise how important a player Danny Grainger is for us and when he's missing, we're always the worse off for it.

Is that because it's Danny himself that's missed or because there is no recognised direct replacement meaning Del chooses to rearrange the back four resulting in uncertainty?

That was poor yesterday. Very poor.

Starting with the line-up it simply seems Del isn't paying attention to what happens to Saints when we change our centre back pairing. Instead of three changes it should simply have been Ando at left back - killie dont play with wingers anyway.

Into Midfield and why would he consider playing an unfit Davidson on that pitch? His injury caused him to be off the pace, which caused his reckless tackle which caused him to be taken off. That's not bad luck its bad management.

Up front I'm clueless when it comes to Sam Parkin. One week I like him, next we carry him for 90mins. He looked slow and poor in the air yesterday and twice he didn't react to a loose ball in the box. Jacko did ok with no service, was looking to play the line but only once did we try dropping it in behind. Had to sit and listen to a guy give him dogs abuse every time he got the ball as well. Serious dogs abuse - apparently he's a terrible player who wasn't good enough for Arbroath. Listening to that claptrap was the low point if the game for me.

As for the match Killie simply were better than us. They played it on the deck with pace and purpose. Somehow we have become cumbersome in our play. Nobody moves into space, too many people run to the ball and everything we do is at a snails pace. Last season we attacked quickly and frequently using overlapping full backs. Not now. Too many players lose a 50-50 and somehow we are not first to react to loose balls.

Ironically in the end we could gave gotten something from the game yesterday as all three goals were mistakes and Taylor was very unlucky twice. The first was Dubes fault, he showed Gordon the goal instead of blocking him off and making him go across. The second was rusty being too soft in the tackle and third he missed his clearance. Add in Smiths wonder save from Rusty and the defence were much of what went wrong yesterday.

Kudos to Taylor though, he was excellent despite what the crowd were saying and if his volley went in it would have been one of the greatest goals scored at McD.

Haven't logged in since the game. FWIW until they got their 2nd I thought we were more likely to score an equaliser - Jacko had a good claim for the penalty and Taylor hit the bar. Calling for Del's head is a total over-reaction. Injuries and suspensions caused us major problems yesterday.

Positives - Taylor's return to the side at least gave us some creativity. Jacko looked a lot sharper. Smith made some good saves.

Negs - Too many players off-form - Millar (1st half at least), Jody, Doobs (looked slow), Maybury (out of position), Mackay (inability to stay on his feet), Liam. We lost the game in midfield IMHO but we were also far too slow to get forward / back and close down the Killie players. Muzz' injury didn't help matters either.

Del and the players will be hurting after that - there's no doubt they'll come back stronger.

After having calmed down (and seen the picture on the website showing Jackos' shirt clearly being pulled by a Killie defender) this post sums it up. Lets just calm down it's only one game and not the end of the world :cool:

Lets just calm down it's only one game and not the end of the world :cool:

I like your thinking, but I cant help fear a dog fight this season. Quarter 1 completed, played 6 home games, scored 4 home goals. 3 points above relegation. It is going to be a tight SPL by the looks of things. We are conceding many goals at present and we are scoring few! Last season we conceded loads but could also score loads, this season our defence is not any tighter and we are scoring less goals?? hope we are prepared for a fight.

Getting beat at home to relegation rivals should be avoided at all costs!

I spoke to a killie fan a couple o weeks ago and he told me they were playing good football and couldnt understand why they were bottom,it clicked against hearts and yesterday we were always going to struggle, seems thats the way it turned out. Batten down the hatches for wednesday i fear another painful 90mins

Hibs fans called for Yogis head and in true Hibs fashion they agreed. 8 managers in ten seasons.p.s. under the new guy not only have they no points but have yet to score a goal. St mirren fans demanded a new manager..they got Danny Lennon and bottom spot in the league.

Carefull what you wish for we are going through a sticky patch. If the gaffer and the players selected up their game a bit we should improve. In del we trust..at the moment.

The Hibs fans were right to call for their managers head - shame they appointed a clown.

The St Mirren fans were wrong. I told you all that Gus is a good manager, believe me now?

Edited by 101 Saint
Grammar of a call centre manager