Slow cookers : do you have ain and what do you cook in yours?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got it now..then my favorite dish must be..Cassoulet..3 different versions of this recipe..TOULOUSIAN CASTELNAUDARY(its where you do your basic training in la Legion...+ the CARCASONNE..the castel one is the original and the best..lingots(beans,tomatoes saussage and duck...a delice..all these style of dishes are always better reheated..

Bouillabaisse(a marseille speciality + literally translated means boil and drop..a fish soup..usually rock fish and not much commercial value but in abundance..you bring the pot to boil then drop the heat..the longer you do this the better..tatties carrots and neeps(a underated vege that is easily grown and feeds lots for the few square inches it occupies in the soil+the nutrative value

put in slow cooker:

Tin of green lentils.

Tin of chopped tomatoes.

Tin of chickpeas/kidney beans/butter beans (whatever takes your fancy)

Sugar to taste (takes the acidity out of the tomatoes)

Brown together :

lamb mince,chopped onions,cumin,turmeric,ginger,coriander,garlic,chilli (alternatively buy a pre made curry powder - I don't measure anything)

then add to the ingredients already in your slow cooker.

Leave to cook all day when you're at work.

Mmmmm...

Cheers, can get the other things you mentioned thanks again

Guest Mongy Max

Stovies

brown square sausage and onion

peel and slice tatties into 1cm slices

layer stovies and onions, then tatties, wee bit pepper, repeat

then throw in a pint of bovril stock

cook on low for 6 hours

mash and enjoy!!

youll get 4 good portions out of 8 slices of sausage

• 3 weeks later...

John

A great recipe for the slow cooker is a Pork Tenderloin (very cheap around here), cooked with, of all things, Root Beer! Overnight or through the day of work it's a great recipe. If pork tenderloin isn't that available for you you could try it with game meat.

Smudge

John

A great recipe for the slow cooker is a Pork Tenderloin (very cheap around here), cooked with, of all things, Root Beer! Overnight or through the day of work it's a great recipe. If pork tenderloin isn't that available for you you could try it with game meat.

Smudge

Root Beer sounds interesting, the wife does a pork roast wie bbq sauce then pulls it apart wie a fork then have it on rolls magic. Slow cookers greatest thing, I think I could get by wie a slow cooker and a frypan never starve

John

Smudge

I'm going to give that recipie a go.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Having been in Ireland last week for Saints' pre-season tour I decided to try making Irish Stew in my slow cooker today.

Big chunks of lamb (cheats lamb stock - sorry) carrots, potatoes, dash of worcestershire sauce, spoon full of tomato puree, some rosemary and some thyme and some fresh peas straight out of the pod.

Should be ready in an hour or so - smells delicious!:D

Having been in Ireland last week for Saints' pre-season tour I decided to try making Irish Stew in my slow cooker today.

Big chunks of lamb (cheats lamb stock - sorry) carrots, potatoes, dash of worcestershire sauce, spoon full of tomato puree, some rosemary and some thyme and some fresh peas straight out of the pod.

Whit! Nae Guinness it it?

I know theres a guy from Corsiehill gonna be wrappin at your door in about 10 mins. You may be aware of him!

any leftovers of the Irish stew? I'm Hank Marvin?

I know theres a guy from Corsiehill gonna be wrappin at your door in about 10 mins. You may be aware of him!

I took a large portion of Irish stew up to him.

Haven't heard yet if he enjoyed it or not!:wink: