Saints Are a Family Club - Discuss?

soulfulsaint

Over many years now the expression 'Saints are a Family Club' has been used by the board, the media and many fans. Am I alone in cringing when the term is used? I am from the old-skool of terracing Saintees who like a laugh, don't mind a bit of boisterous adult humour, especially when its led by women, and think that football is about partisanship not 'entertainment' .

I sincerely believe that making all forms of entertainment 'family-orientated' can take some of the spice out of life. Just to be clear, I am not having a dig at fans with families, but I do think that the imposition of 'family values' can allow concerns about children can infringe other peoples' rights - to bawl obscenities at match officials, to cheer at opposition fans, and most of all to carry scalding hot drinks around with liberty.

Your thoughts on the ups and downs of being 'a family club' please.

We used to be. alot of work and effort was put into having a family image. Pricing when we first went to mcd was the key. It brought family's to the games.

I watched the rugby yesterday on tv, the commentator repeatedly mentioned the strange atmosphere in murrayfield. I assumed as its what I took.from.eTching that it was a family crowd. £15/£5 were the prices and it seemed a different crowd than a 6 nations crowd. Price must of played its part here.

Yes the prices have went up at football, family budgets are being squeezed. It needs a long term strategy to bring more family's back and make us more of a family.club.

I think there can be a balance between the two. When I go to games with my mates it is completely different from when I take the kids. I bawl, shout obscenities and slate players and officials when with mates but the it does get toned down a lot when the kids are with me. What does annoy me though is when you have a group of families at the games and some one decides to curse and arrange to meet players next Tuesday even though they are sitting near kids. I have no problem with him wanting to support his club in that manner but tone it down around the kids. He got rather upset when I pointed this out!

It's a fine line for the club as they need families to come along to cultivate the support of the future but they cannot do it at the expense of the existing support.

Everyone says that they are a family club and that they will not tolerate offensive/foul/racist/etc behaviour or language.

Trying not to offend everyone in order to attract people to come along/keep coming along just alienates others. Anyway, nothing is ever done about the behaviour they don't like, as we all know.

I don't like seeing young kids copying the bad behaviour of grown up men. Yesterday at Dunfermline I witnessed some of the most drunken, foul, aggressive, disgusting, spitting, cursing, anger among fans that I've ever seen. Worse than some OF even! Sitting across the aisle from them? A group of six younsters, maybe from 10 -14 years old. Who were they copying? That's the bit I don't like, and that was in the family stand. Do we have fans like that? I've not seen anything like it I must say.

So by all means have a family section, but only allow families in it. Keep the other fans in the East Stand, put the kids in the Ormond and go for it with attractive pricing and a bit of local marketing. I know its been tried before but if something's not done then no Geoff Brown type figure will be able to save us cos all us oldies will be gone :)

As Jerry Seinfeld once said, there's no such thing as fun for all the family.

The whole 'we are a family club' selling point seems, to me, like a clawing attempt to attract people through the gates.

I don't have kids but if I did I wouldn't be able to afford to take them to matches very often and that seems to be the case with a lot of people on here.

Personally, I prefer the atmosphere at away games where all of us are in the same part of the ground and things are less geared towards a family day out. One of my favourite happenings at a game in recent times was seeing a young chap of about 8 get as far as 'We're blue, we're white' at Dens before his dad hurriedly put a hand over his mouth...

First they take away the terraces,then they stop you from taking your carry oot in,then they stop you from throwing bananas at black players,then they stop you singing sectarian songs.They`ve taken all the fun out of football.Mark my words,soon you will not be let into the ground unless you are a single mother or a gay.

First they take away the terraces,then they stop you from taking your carry oot in,then they stop you from throwing bananas at black players,then they stop you singing sectarian songs.They`ve taken all the fun out of football.Mark my words,soon you will not be let into the ground unless you are a single mother or a gay.

Thank god I am....em...a single mother :neutral:

Now that the Police presence is lower(none in the East) and ok it might need a steward or two, but i don't see why we cant open the Ormond Stand for Families at say£15, might take a few away from east at first but it might just work and im sure Saints would be on to winner with extra food and drink kids would want

Let the bairns in the ormond free, let them have a flag & vovothingy dish out free memberships for the junior saints club,let them run around jump up and down,pick out 5 at half time to take penalties,throw cheap footballs into the crowd at half time,have a half time draw for next weeks ball boys and girls? imagine that diffrent ball boys and girls each week? if your kid got picked your mum dad,gran,grandad,uncle, aunt, next door neighbour may all turn up to see them.......

Now thats a family club ?

Let the bairns in the ormond free, let them have a flag & vovothingy dish out free memberships for the junior saints club,let them run around jump up and down,pick out 5 at half time to take penalties,throw cheap footballs into the crowd at half time,have a half time draw for next weeks ball boys and girls? imagine that diffrent ball boys and girls each week? if your kid got picked your mum dad,gran,grandad,uncle, aunt, next door neighbour may all turn up to see them.......

Now thats a family club ?

Great idea,I like to go to the football to relieve the pressures of the working week, I can't swear like a tropper anymore due to the amount of kids around me in the East Stand.

The East Stand should be 3500 young men between 16 and 45, full of bravado, lager and swagger. Opposition fans should be at least apprehensive about coming to Perth if not downright scared. When we used to go to Falkirk, everyone would go a bit quieter once the chuff-chuff left Larbert not through fear exactly but just normal tension knowing you were going to be in for a rough reception. A lot of that has gone from the game nowadays and the game is poorer for it.

I dont know where you would draw the line between a non-family club and a family club, or what the criteria to be such would be. But my view is tha we have a large proportion of familys going along to games, lots of kids, teenagers, OAPs all going along for a day out and these people make up the bulk of our "hardcore support".

On that basis I would say Yes we are.

Also, i may be wrong, but I think we hae one of if not the cheapest kids ticket in the league?

The East Stand should be 3500 young men between 16 and 45, full of bravado, lager and swagger. Opposition fans should be at least apprehensive about coming to Perth if not downright scared. When we used to go to Falkirk, everyone would go a bit quieter once the chuff-chuff left Larbert not through fear exactly but just normal tension knowing you were going to be in for a rough reception. A lot of that has gone from the game nowadays and the game is poorer for it.

Yeah,there`s nothing better than getting a pre- match kicking to put you in the mood for the fitba!

Miss them days mate.