North Stand....Should it stay or should it go?

Jimmy Wallace

North Stand - Stay or Go  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would say it is a big problem. Look what happened the last time. We lost supporters due to moving us back and forward.

Was about to say the same thing.

A lot of fans haven't returned because of this happening first time round. Life long supporters were playing second fiddles to the cash from the OF.

Can you imagine Dundee kicking their fans out the Derry?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was about to say the same thing.

A lot of fans haven't returned because of this happening first time round. Life long supporters were playing second fiddles to the cash from the OF.

Can you imagine Dundee kicking their fans out the Derry?

They were going to the second last game of the last promotion season, but we didn't sell as many tickets as first thought. I remember listening to the Dundee chief on the radio about it and their fans were getting their knickers in a twist about it.

If we could've won the league outright that day it might have happened. That would've been pretty cool.

I pretty much agree with BH in terms of design. Raising the first row to that height would allow you to maintain rooflines as well. Stick in a "safe standing" area that can be used as terracing for non-SPL games, and designate the Ormond Stand as the away end for the future. Raise the front row 10-15 feet off the ground and it would look OK as well as giving a good view of the park.

Will this be Geoff Brown's legacy, a near empty stadium with only three stands?

The whole idea for me should be a non-starter.

Firstly, I can believe this is even being talked about when there aren't even any artist's impressions of how it will look etc - totall unprofessional by everyone involved.

Especially when you read that the "new road would lead around the rear of the East Stand before curving around the rear of the North Stand, which would have to go". Just how much land are we talking about giving up?

If we want to cut our cloth and downsize, then we should look to sell up completely and move to a smaller site with a much reduced capacity (and hopefully a standing area).

The idea of switching stands again for big games would be crazy - hasn't the club learned anything?? It starts with just the old firm, then it's oh Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen/United are doing well or it's a big cup game and eventually we will be in the Main Stand permanently or until we decide to knock the East Stand down and sell the ground on that side for housing!!

Anyway, all me a cynic but I'm guessing there will be something in this for Geoff Brown, after all one of the main purposes of the road will be to help link the three new villages that are earmarked for being built on the outskirts of the city.

Hmm... I wonder which local firm would be interested in building houses out there??!!

I reckon Saints will have a new stadium in the next 10 years anyway, how would Saints fans feel if we were to relocate outside Perth, say Bridge of Earn?:wink:

Wouldnt mind the new ground Aitchy,but go the full hog and bring it to Fife, theres mare fans doon here anyway! :)

in geoff we trust!

what i cant get my head around is the distance from the end of the east to the back of the north stand is not that big so not sure they'd be much room to build anything ?

which makes me think geoff will be getting a good deal from this and maybe going down the route of upping sticks with a smaller new stadium. hopefully by this time terracing and drink will be allowed back

Well at least we can now see the plans for the road

http://www.pkc.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7DC2990D-BB26-4CBB-8B1D-EA31CABA874E/0/09082609406.pdf

The map on page 3 gives the biggest indication of the changes.

Things that stand out for me are the removal of the current slip road, the road current road will only run to serve Tesco deliveries.

Thus the away fans will enter the car park from the new road to a new part of the car park, behind the East stand. Depending on how big the new north stand was it could very well be the case that all away fans would be accommodated in East as I cannot see them asking away fans to park there then walk behind a home stand to get to their seats.

The current away stand was allocated that way as it allows segregation in the car park and as some will have noticed you cannot walk around McDiarmid due to the segregation barrier between the East and North stands. Even with a new stand the roles could be reversed with home fans in the car park behind the West stand and accessing the new North stand from the West stand side.

You do get a better view from the West stand and if there was an home terrace at the North end of the ground for home fans I am sure most would be happy.

interesting read. notice point 10 states "The construction of the link road will potentially require the removal and

rebuilding of McDiarmid Park’s north stand to facilitate the new road, reducing

the capacity to approximately 9,500"

does this basically mean a smaller stand to accomodate 800 to be bulit?

I wouldn't pay too close attention to the 9500 figure as that's just a plan, and not even something that the architect will be in control of anyway

The North Stand will go- now we have an opportunity to build a smaller but better stand to revitalise the ground

A two tier smaller, boxed in stand would be excellent, the lower tier could be covered with advertising banners when not being used, with a wall between the tiers big enough for big advertising boards and also with space for fans to hang flags and banners

Also, lets do something revolutionary again- lets make the stand the best in the country for disabled fans with a viewing platform bang in the middle of the upper tier- we could use this to attract other events to the ground- concerts (with better pitch protection this time) Scotland U21 matches, Scotland Youth Games

Let the fans choose from several designs, let the fans name the stand- make it something that identifies it as St Johnstone's ground

This is something we could all get involved in to varying levels, something we can do to revitalise the ground and something we can have to be proud of for another 20 years

An opportunity not to be missed

Is it really a big problem. For 4 games a season we could have the main stand filled with Saints fans, more money for the club and in turn that will allow us to minimise any increase in season ticket prices.

Why should anyone have to move seat when you've paid for your specific seat?

I know its really early in this and we dont know a great deal but, with all the other shit going on with the SFA and TV etc, if this was happening now and we were to be moved from the East Stand I think I would probably just give up going.

I know there are a lots of ifs and buts in there and there is a good chance we wont be moved.

As long as there isn't a big gap left in it's place I'll be happy. A stadium with 4 sides is all very well if they actually get filled. It looks terrible having so much empty space, so to not accept a steady stream of money over a number of years purely on the basis on stadium aesthetics is mad!

How many other clubs are able to sell a stand which is not really needed for a substantial amount of money? Good on Sir Geoff!

I once overheard a director of TESCO say, while looking at mc.diarmid from a creiff rd office. THATS A BRAW SITE to replace this old place........

And get one up on sainsburys.................:wink:

Back near the toon anyone?

Sell the land to tesco, let them build us a new 8.000 capacity statium with astro turf pitch next to it. Money left over to keep us solvent for a good few years.

There is an ideal bit of land in muirton they have just demolished. Build a new ground there and call it MUIRTON PARK.......:wink:

Edited by bobby kemp

I wouldn't pay too close attention to the 9500 figure as that's just a plan, and not even something that the architect will be in control of anyway

The North Stand will go- now we have an opportunity to build a smaller but better stand to revitalise the ground

A two tier smaller, boxed in stand would be excellent, the lower tier could be covered with advertising banners when not being used, with a wall between the tiers big enough for big advertising boards and also with space for fans to hang flags and banners

Also, lets do something revolutionary again- lets make the stand the best in the country for disabled fans with a viewing platform bang in the middle of the upper tier- we could use this to attract other events to the ground- concerts (with better pitch protection this time) Scotland U21 matches, Scotland Youth Games

Let the fans choose from several designs, let the fans name the stand- make it something that identifies it as St Johnstone's ground

This is something we could all get involved in to varying levels, something we can do to revitalise the ground and something we can have to be proud of for another 20 years

An opportunity not to be missed

Dream on.

What I want to know is . If they remove the stand who is going to retrieve the ball from the motorway now that we don`t have jimmy Wallace.