Andy Rhodes

saintgscot

This isnt answering the question but i think this happened the same night.....

Andy Rhodes was half cut at a saints supporters do , speaking to a fan , he pulls up his sleeve to reveal a very nice watch , he proceeds to say "see this watch , you c***s paid for that " . said fan then had argument which turns heated with andy then recieving a punch in the face . He never really played for saints again . . . . . cock

Edited by chips

Did we not sign him because he could deal with the pass back rule but Lindsay Hamilton couldnt?

That's my memory of it anyway. I think Rhodes was a bit of a frustrated outfield player, and was happy to walk the ball out of the box, so he could beat and embarras the in-rushing forward, before hoofing it aimlessly....

we think it might of been john mcquillan

Don't think it would have been McQuillan during the Rhodes era, although there may have been a slight overlap in their time at the club. Anyone know what McQuillan's doing now, incidentally? He seemed to just vanish from the game.

I realise Rhodes turned out to be a serious t***, but I used to love watching him playing for Saints when I was a kid. A real entertainer and also, initially at least, a bloody good goalkeeper. I can remember one 0-0 draw with Celtic at McDiarmid where Celtic pummelled us for the whole game and Rhodes kept them at bay virtually on his own.

Don't think it would have been McQuillan during the Rhodes era, although there may have been a slight overlap in their time at the club. Anyone know what McQuillan's doing now, incidentally? He seemed to just vanish from the game.

McQuillan is now working as a landscape gardener in the Dundee area. He was a great player for us. John O'Neil and him linked up so well together!

I realise Rhodes turned out to be a serious t***, but I used to love watching him playing for Saints when I was a kid. A real entertainer and also, initially at least, a bloody good goalkeeper. I can remember one 0-0 draw with Celtic at McDiarmid where Celtic pummelled us for the whole game and Rhodes kept them at bay virtually on his own.

He did turn out to be a Big Time Charlie but he did a great job and interacted with the crowd really well. I remember he always used to give his gloves to a kid in the crowd after matches. Anybody on here get a pair? Good at stopping penalties too.

He did turn out to be a Big Time Charlie but he did a great job and interacted with the crowd really well. I remember he always used to give his gloves to a kid in the crowd after matches. Anybody on here get a pair? Good at stopping penalties too.

Yup, have to agree that he was brilliant with the kids and families at matches. During that period I was a youngster in the Ormond Stand and he always interacted with the crowd in that end during the warm-up. I even remember him running into the stand on a couple of occasions. Sadly I never got a pair of his gloves.

Towards the end of his time at Saints, when I guess things had started to turn sour, I seem to remember him being booed for running towards the away end and giving his gloves to an opposing fan.

Them's were the days - Ormond Stand used to be packed. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Many years ago I was putting a Saints birthday package together for my laddie and Andy Rhodes was his hero so off I went to the Inch one cold winters day to see if the squad were training and if so Andy's autograph was the target.To his credit when I approached him and explained what I was doing he took the wee mans autograph book and wouldn't let a single team member on to the mini bus at the end of the session without signing it.Kind of had to respect the guy when it came to P.R with the kids.