Muzzy

ancientsaint

I find it bizzare managers pick squads based on reputation as well as the reputation of the club.

I'm not saying MD should definitely in the squad etc but...

Saints have done well over the last 2 years, constantly performing well & MD being a very important performer as part of our success.

Hibs, struggling, okay did okay in the cups but finished bottom 6 consistantly. Thomson has not been playing well particularly either.

On paper based on that who would you call up?

Surely there is better out there though?

It's a shambles that players at our club continuously get over looked, there's no way Thomson should be ahead of Davidson in the pecking order. There's literally no footballing reason for it

On the contrary I thought McGhee's reasoning for calling up Thomson justified it.

“In this situation we have looked around and hopefully – I don’t want to detract from the lad – we will have enough at this stage so we don’t have to call on him,” he said.

“He is going to maintain the quality certainly in training and within the group in preparation. He has more than enough ability to do that so we had no fears, Gordon knows him very well and bought him before.”

A call up for the sake of bringing a player in. The staff already knew in their mind the players that would be involved and saw an opportunity to bring in an older head who's been there before who can act as a role model to the younger lads in match prep and training. The hope being that he can pass on confidence to the younger players (Griffiths, Anya, Hanley, Rhodes who are all fairly new to the set-up) and this would help them on the pitch. 

With guys like Berra, Caldwell, Miller, and the two Fletchers out, I thought this was a great "footballing reason" to include him

Edited by The Inspiration

On the contrary I thought McGhee's reasoning for calling up Thomson justified it.

“In this situation we have looked around and hopefully – I don’t want to detract from the lad – we will have enough at this stage so we don’t have to call on him,” he said.

“He is going to maintain the quality certainly in training and within the group in preparation. He has more than enough ability to do that so we had no fears, Gordon knows him very well and bought him before.”

A call up for the sake of bringing a player in. The staff already knew in their mind the players that would be involved and saw an opportunity to bring in an older head who's been there before who can act as a role model to the younger lads in match prep and training. The hope being that he can pass on confidence to the younger players (Griffiths, Anya, Hanley, Rhodes who are all fairly new to the set-up) and this would help them on the pitch. 

With guys like Berra, Caldwell, Miller, and the two Fletchers out, I thought this was a great "footballing reason" to include him

He's only got three caps. Thats less than Griffiths, Rhodes and Hanley. And the last time he was involved was three years ago. If anything he has less experience of Scottish squads than three players you mentioned

He's only got three caps. Thats less than Griffiths, Rhodes and Hanley. And the last time he was involved was three years ago. If anything he has less experience of Scottish squads than three players you mentioned

But how many squads has he been called up for? He has been involved a lot over the years. And Strachan  knows him well from Middlesbrough so knows what he brings to the squad

Problem. I have is McGee's reasoning and Thomson's ability are poles apart.

You can dress up a pig in a silk jacket and slippers, but everyone can see it's still a pig

But how many squads has he been called up for? He has been involved a lot over the years. And Strachan  knows him well from Middlesbrough so knows what he brings to the squad

I've no idea but I'll try and find out. But once again, he's not been involved for three years. If we're going purely for experience we'd have been as well calling up Lee McCulloch and bringing Kenny Miller straight back out of retirement. It's purely a "job for the boys" situation