Europa League Play-Off Round

ex-montrosesaintee

NOT counting any chickens, but I was interested in the process and timescale of the draw for the play-off round, should we defeat FC Minsk on Thursday, and I guess others might be interested too.  Here are the details of the draw, and the teams still in the mix from the Champion's League 3rd round qualifiers and the Europa League 3rd round qualifiers. (first leg scores shown)

I assume that the seeding will be reset, given that the draw takes place after all the competing teams are known (we took Rosenborg's seeding into the 3rd Q round as the draw was done before the tie was concluded). I therefore further assume that we will be unseeded.

I hope this makes sense, and gives an idea of some of the clubs that we could face in the play-off round, should we be successful on Thursday.

Play-off round

13.00CET, 9 August, Nyon

For the play-offs, the third qualifying round winners join the 15 losing sides from the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round and further teams who begin their European campaigns here.

The clubs are split into seven groups for the draw. Within the groups, an equal number of sides are seeded and unseeded in accordance with the club rankings established at the start of the season. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

For each group, balls containing the seeded sides are placed in one bowl and balls containing unseeded teams in another. A ball is taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they are shuffled. The first club drawn plays the first leg at home.

Champion's League third qualifying round - losers to drop into the Europa League Play-off round: -

FC Shakhtyor Karaganda 3-0 Skenderbeu

Aust. Vienna 1-0 FH Hafnarfjordur

Dinamo Tbilisi 0-2 Steaua Buch't

Nomme Kalju 0-4 Plzen

FC Basel 1-0 Macc Tel-Aviv

Nordsjaelland 0-1 Zenit St P'sbg

Paok Salonika 0-2 Metalist Kharkiv

Din Zagreb 1-0 Sheriff Tiraspol

PSV Eind'ven 2-0 Zulte-Waregem

Lyon 1-0 Grasshoppers

Molde 1-1 Legia Warsaw

Ludogorets Razgrad 2-1 Partizan B'grade

SV Salzburg 1-1 Fenerbahce

Celtic 1-0 Elfsborg

Apoel Nicosia 1-1 NK Maribor

Europa League third qualifying round - winners to enter the Play-off round: -

FK AS Trencin1-3CSM Astra Ploiesti

Aktobe 1-0 Breidablik

Dinamo Minsk 0-1 Trabzonspor

FC Petrolul Ploiesti 1-1 Vitesse Arnhem

FK Qarabag 1-0 Gefle

Jablonec 2-1 Stromsgodset

Minsk 0-1 St Johnstone

Ventspils 0-0 Maccabi Haifa

Chornomorets Odessa 3-1 Red Star Belgrade

Randers FC 1-2 Rubin Kazan

Zalgiris Vilnius 1-0 Lech Poznan

Hacken 1-2 FC Thun

Rijeka 2-1 MSK Zilina

Tromso 1-0 Differdange

Botev Plovdiv 1-1 VfB Stuttgart

Kukesi 2-0 Metallurg Donetsk

Pandurii Targu-Jiu 1-1 Hapoel Tel-Aviv

Vojvodina 2-2 Bursaspor

Liberec 2-1 FC Zurich

Asteras Tripoli 1-1 Rapid Vienna

FC Xanthi 1-2 St'dard Liege

St Etienne 3-0 Milsami Orhei

Motherwell 0-2 Kuban Krasnodar

Siroki Brijeg 1-3 Udinese

Slask Wroclaw 1-0 Club Bruges

Swansea 4-0 Malmo

Grupo Desportivo Estoril Praia 0-0 Hapoel Ramat Gan

Hajduk Split 0-1 Dila Gori

Sevilla 3-0 Mladost Podgorica

Edited by montrosesaintee

That's that jinxed then :roll:

IF we get through wouldn't mind a trip to Seville, although no direct flights from Scotland unfortunately. Saltzburg, Lyon and St Etienne would also be good. There's nothing stopping us getting Dinamo Minsk in theory, that would bejust tragic, unless we progressed to group stages of course.

And to complete the list, the teams who start thir European campaign at this stage are

Spurs (Engerland)

Real Betis (Spain)

Eintracht Frankfurt (Germany)

Fiorentina (Italy)

Braga (Portugal)

Nice (France)

Spartak Moscow (Russia)

AZ (Netherlands)

Feyenoord (Netherlands)

Dinamo Kiev (Ukraine)

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (Ukraine)

Atrimotos (Greece)

Besiktas (Turkey)

Genk (Belgium)

Esbjerg (Denmark)

St Gallen (Switzerland)

Pasching (Austria)

Apollon Limassol (CYP)

According to wiki Pasching are in the third division in Austria....surely we couldn't be THAT lucky.

Really comes down to the seedings is it on the country of origin, or will they base it on the actual club.

Mind you, we have to beat Minsk first.

Yeah bizzarely I read somewhere at the end of the season they won the Cup over there!

Are they seeded?!

That's that jinxed then :roll:

IF we get through wouldn't mind a trip to Seville, although no direct flights from Scotland unfortunately. Saltzburg, Lyon and St Etienne would also be good. There's nothing stopping us getting Dinamo Minsk in theory, that would bejust tragic, unless we progressed to group stages of course.

I would take Dinamo Minsk! They are probably quite beatable. Wouldn't be great for getting to obviously but I either want a massive team, I'm talking Fiorentina, Spurs etc or a winnable tie. The Cypriot team for example.

I would take Dinamo Minsk! They are probably quite beatable. Wouldn't be great for getting to obviously but I either want a massive team, I'm talking Fiorentina, Spurs etc or a winnable tie. The Cypriot team for example.

unless dinamo Minsk are seeded (very unlikely) we have no chance of getting them

I suppose the first thing will be to see who else is in our group (should we get there) out of the seven they mention the teams getting split into, and which of those teams are seeded. That, obviously, narrows it down to who we could possibly face.

Anyone know the date that these 7 groups will be announced?

I suppose the first thing will be to see who else is in our group (should we get there) out of the seven they mention the teams getting split into, and which of those teams are seeded. That, obviously, narrows it down to who we could possibly face.

Draws on Friday so I imagine you'll find out a couple of hours before the actual draw.

Pretty sure they've played at McDiarmid before - I vaguely remember going to see them against Dunfermline in a UEFA Cup match a few years back.

You're probably right - looking at the club's Wikipedia entry it appears that their defeat of the Pars is the club's biggest claim to fame.

u do know we have a playoff round first eh?

I did caveat the thread with 'not counting any chickens' - we aren't the only British team in the mix, and I thought people would like to see who is involved and when the draw takes place.

Clearly we have a game to win first, but the draw is on Friday, so it seemed reasonable to start the thread.

We will be unseeded - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_UEFA_Europa_League

Saints 

Teams we can face with lower rank

Kukësi 833  Mladost Podgorica 1050  Nõmme Kalju 1191  Nordsjælland 1264  Legia Warsaw 1365  Žalgiris Vilnius 1800  Milsami Orhei 2283  Lech Poznań 2365  Genk 2688  Široki Brijeg 3316  Dila Gori 3333  Ludogorets Razgrad 3450  

Teams with higher rank

Club Brugge 3688  FH 4083  Häcken 4125  Hapoel Ramat Gan 4575  Standard Liège 4588  Pandurii Târgu Jiu 4604  Petrolul Ploiești 4604  Rijeka 4916  Malmö FF 5125  Dinamo Tbilisi 5333  Vojvodina 5425  Dinamo Minsk 6175  Ventspils 6658  Xanthi 6800  Zulte Waregem 6880  Motherwell 7038  Randers 7140  Śląsk Wrocław 7150  Grasshopper 7285  Thun 7285  Slovan Liberec 7745  Asteras Tripolis 7800  Molde 7835  Maccabi Tel Aviv 8075  Elfsborg 8125  Atromitos 8300  Hajduk Split 8916  Kuban Krasnodar 9266  Maribor 9941  Vitesse 9945  Chornomorets Odesa 9951  Sheriff Tiraspol 11533  Nice 11800  Estoril 11833  Metalurh Donetsk 12451  Rapid Wien 13075  Maccabi Haifa 13575  Feyenoord 13945  Bursaspor 14900  Žilina 15841  Eintracht Frankfurt 15922  Austria Wien 16575  Swansea City 16592  Zürich 16785  Partizan 17425  Real Betis 17605  Trabzonspor 21400  Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 23951  Dinamo Zagreb 25916  Saint-Étienne 26800  Red Bull Salzburg 28075  Viktoria Plzeň 28745  PAOK 28800  Hapoel Tel Aviv 29575  Beşiktaş 34900  APOEL 35366  Steaua București 35604  Celtic 37538  AZ 39445  Spartak Moscow 40766  Fiorentina 42829  Udinese 42829  Fenerbahçe 46400  Sevilla 55105  Rubin Kazan 58266  Basel 59785  Stuttgart 59922  Metalist Kharkiv 62451  Braga 62833  PSV Eindhoven 64945  Dynamo Kyiv 68951  Tottenham Hotspur 69592  Zenit Saint Petersburg 70766  Lyon 95800

Edited by CEA_20