Shakhter Karagandy Vs Sellik

LethamChippy

Sounds very like the home match against Minsk. An inferior team who could only win by employing specific tactics, and doing so in a perfect manner.

To be fair, no team could play like that all the time without alienating fans, because it is grim to watch, but where a tie is worth £20m it's a no brainer.

I would hope that TW and our players learned a lesson against Minsk. I would have expected Lennon, with his experience, to have been better prepared.

Altogether disappointed with the result. Might make for an exciting spectacle next week.

I read that the Kazakstanis slaughtered a sheep in the tunnel for good luck the day before the game. Celtic's centre backs played as if they had some of its entrails tangled round their ankles....

The Kazakhstanis slaughered a sheep and got a result.

Aberdeen fans now realise what they've been doing wrong.

THERE are certain results and performances which provoke a storm of protest.

Celtic’s defeat to Shakhter Karagandy on Tuesday night was one of them.

Neil Lennon issued what amounted to a plea for calm when he said the 2-0 loss in Astana was recoverable at Celtic Park next week.

But the Celtic support couldn’t hear him over the din of their own outrage.

And the Rangers fans were laughing so loudly their hearing was impaired as well, regardless of what’s going on at their club.

Ronan Corrigan, Jordanstown, said: “The biscuit tin mentality reigns supreme at Celtic Park.

“The defensive pairing of Steven Mouyokolo and Virgil Van Dijk was a disaster and we need to buy a £5million striker immediately. I fear the worst.”

Morgan Baker, Glasgow, said: “I would like to ask the Celtic board for their definition of ambition.

“Maybe if there was more commitment from them there would be fewer empty seats on match days.”

Alex Terry, Milton of Campsie, emailed: “Who is Lennon kidding when he says he doesn’t need new signings to beat Karagandy?

“Celtic will have to spend big money on players to get anywhere.”

Barry Herbertson, Beith, was first with the inevitable joke when he said: “The old comic might be nearly 90 years old now but d*** Van Dyke would have been more effective in Celtic’s defence.”

I’d look away now, Lenny.

Gary Burns, Saltcoats, said: “The Celtic board spend little amounts on third-rate players when we need a top-class keeper, central defender and striker. I still say Lennon should be sacked.”

Charlie Goldie, Glasgow, said: “Lennon is a clown. If Celtic don’t qualify for the Champions League group stages then he and chief executive Peter Lawwell will have a lot to answer for.

“There’s no excuse for not adequately replacing Gary Hooper and Victor Wanyama.”

Ian Ferguson, Denny, said: “I don’t share Lennon’s optimism so far as the second leg is concerned.

“Karagandy will pack their defence and I can’t see us scoring three times. It’s the Europa League for Celtic now.”

George Rooney, Paisley, said: “Why didn’t Lennon bring on Anthony Stokes, or is it the case he doesn’t rate him?”

John Lavelle, Irvine, said: “Lennon should take a good look at himself after playing two untried defenders and a panic merchant in goal.”

Mick McCormack, Uddingston, said: “Can Lennon not see Forster is afraid of physical contact? It’s time the truth was told about him.”

David Dolan, Maybole, said: “Celtic were flat-footed and complacent with their slumped shoulders and it showed against more alert opposition.

“Lennon is just not doing it as manager.”

But, in the interests of balance, Ian McAllister, Banff, said: “Lennon is having players sold from underneath him by Lawwell and the money brought in is only partially reinvested in the team. The manager is being badly let down by his employers.”

Allan Walls, Maryport, emailed: “Celtic should refund the few supporters who did get to Kazakhstan and watched a shocking performance.”

The scatter gun was out for individual player targets.

Alfie Traynor, Glasgow, emailed: “What did Georgios Samaras contribute to the game?

“I want to see players being used who are prepared to give more than he did.”

William Simpson, Glasgow, emailed: “Frather Forthter must have super glue on his boots the way he stands rooted to his line.”

Jim Kerr, Renfrew, said: “Emilio Izaguirre does nothing but cost Celtic goals and James Forrest is over-rated.”

Alistair Fagan, Aberdeen, said: “It’s time to let Samaras go but the tie against Karagandy can still be saved by playing Stokes and Tony Watt up front.”

John Kerr, Coatbridge, said: “If Kris Commons is Celtic’s best bet then we’re in trouble for the second leg. Where does the manager’s confidence come from?”

But James Garvie, Broxburn, disagrees. He said: “It will be 2-2 on aggregate after 90 minutes at Celtic Park and then goalless in extra time. Celtic will win after a penalty shootout.”

Sounds like a great game. I hope it’s on the telly.

John Donnelly, Cambuslang, said: “Finonchenko 1, Finnan Haddies 0. Shocking.”

But Robert McEwan, Glasgow, said: “Celtic will win by six or seven next Wednesday.”

Mal Carruthers, Troon, kicked off a row when he said he hoped Celtic would lose in Kazakhstan.

He called back to say: “I was told to keep quiet because my own team, Rangers, had problems the size of the Eiffel Tower.

“Celtic’s difficulties are now the size of the Empire State building.”

On a more serious note I think it is highly disrespectful to Karagandy.

They played very well and outplayed Celtic and offered more in attack.

Celtic barely had a recognised striker on the park but Stokes on the bench.

Celtics plan was kinda like Rosenborg against us. I can't see Celtic getting through as they will park the bus.