#saintsfc

Real Madrid

I wonder of fans of Saints and St Mirren could have some fun with this?

hk0o.jpg

As part of our commitment to social media, Southampton has today become the first British football club to permanently display its official hashtag within its stadium seating.

Starting with this weekend's home game against Sunderland, fans visiting St Mary's on a matchday will see the #SaintsFC hashtag embedded into the Chapel Stand.

The move is designed to increase engagement between Southampton supporters who use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Google+, and is the latest in a series of social media initiatives launched by the Club.

Last season, Saints became the first British side to display supporters' Tweets on pitchside LED perimeter boards during matches, beaming our fans' messages in front of not only the sold-out crowds at St Mary's but also to the millions watching on television around the world.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/come-on-you-saintsfc-1008448.aspx

Whats the point? If saints were to do something like this, I'd hope they go for blue seats instead of #COYS or something like that. I appreciate keeping in touch with fans on twitter etc. is important, but why on the seats? Just use the boards round the pitch.

Whats the point? If saints were to do something like this, I'd hope they go for blue seats instead of #COYS or something like that. I appreciate keeping in touch with fans on twitter etc. is important, but why on the seats? Just use the boards round the pitch.

If we're going by that train of thought, then what's the point in us having St Johnstone FC written on the East Stand? Or why do sponsors pay large sums to have their name/logo put on the stands at other stadiums (Motorola at Almondvale, Nike at Old Trafford etc)? Why do we even bother having coloured seats at all? After all, people are only going to sit on them.

It's about raising awareness of a brand that the club are promoting, and encouraging fans to discuss on Twitter using the hashtag. The stands will only have fans in them once a week, and the boards around the pitch will only be used when there's a match on, but throughout all of the other days St Mary's will be a big empty stadium with visitors and fans walking round taking photos on stadium tours, corporate events taking place, TV interviews being filmed, photographers in for press photo shoots, and other things that will all have a view of the pitch and the stands. They already had SAINTS written on the seats in that stand, so the only expense will have been to add '#' and 'FC' in there, which for a Premier League team will have been a drop in the ocean.

I haven't looked, but I'd imagine that the #SAINTSFC thing will be getting promoted across everything that Southampton produce now, posters/programmes/pitchside screens etc - the writing on the stand will be running alongside these, something to compliment the campaign, not the be-all-and-end-all of it. They seem to be thinking out the box a bit in terms of their approach to using social media as a way of connecting with the fans, and letting fans connect with them, which is good to see. I also like the idea of having tweets displayed on the ad screens during the match, a pretty good way of encouraging people to Tweet about the club.

cant see what the negativity towards this is about, they are promoting their brand in a different way, simple really.

exactly.we don't want associated with the scummers.

and while we are on about promoting our own brand its time to sell the yellow and red seats on ebay and make the stadium seats all blue.

exactly.we don't want associated with the scummers.

and while we are on about promoting our own brand its time to sell the yellow and red seats on ebay and make the stadium seats all blue.

Why even did we get red and yellow seats? I've never understood this. Has it every been addressed by Geoff?

Why even did we get red and yellow seats? I've never understood this. Has it every been addressed by Geoff?

they copied iboax at the time which had a similar colour scheme.

it was supposed to be an aid for fans to know what section of the stand they were in at ticket games. if ye were colour blind however ye were goosed.

Quite a strange comment to read, especially from somebody who is a fairly regular Tweeter like yourself BH.

I should point out that my post was largely tongue-in-cheek. But I do think people will move on from hashtagging and, when that happens, having it on a stadium will look dated.

In the main I agree with you, but equally the internet moves on, people's ways of using it move on, and sites like Facebook and Twitter (and more specifically the use of hashtags) will eventually be overtaken by new sites that take advantage of evolving technology in original ways and capture people's imagination in new ways. It's happened before with myspace, Friends Reunited etc, and it'll happen again. I do think Twitter is a brilliant concept though. Equally, I have a massive distrust of Facebook.

they copied iboax at the time which had a similar colour scheme.

it was supposed to be an aid for fans to know what section of the stand they were in at ticket games. if ye were colour blind however ye were goosed.

Supposed to help stewards as well eg. 'Trouble maker attempting to sing songs in the yellow section at the scoreboard end' or 'look out for mindless thugs standing up in the red section'