Saints Vs Hibernian 14/09/13

David123

Deserved defeat.

We were dreadful, almost (almost) as bad as the performances at Kilmarnock and United. The first half was actually decent, we pung the ball about at a decent speed and caused the nervous looking Hibs defence problems while completely negating their attack. Then of course we let in a scrappy goal that hit the post and got blocked about three times before actually getting knocked in. For some reason we come out after half time and completely change our style of play. I've no idea if it was managers instructions or whether the players just took it upon themselves but we decided that big punts up the field would be far more effective than the passing game that had gotten us the goal and the upper hand of the match. Utterly Baffling but not all surprised

Once again we see that 4-4-2 just doesn't work. I've said it for over a year now, that when we play that way we lose the midfield and lose control. Yet Tommy Wright, a qualified manager, is completely unable to see whats staring him in the face. The midfield doesn't have the quality, or mobility, to play as a flat four. And when one of the four is Hasselbaink then you're on a hiding to nothing. The baffling inability to realise our strength is in a five man midfield is strange, considering he was here last season when the team proved we play better in that formation, yet the manager clearly doesn't have the guts to drop MacLean or May so we're left sacrificing the midfield. It's incredibly obvious aswell. How many times did Cregg get dragged out to the left as Hasselbaink never tracked, leaving big gaping holes everywhere in front of the defence, which eventually got exploited. 

Subbing off Wright was also odd, as common practice would be to wait and see if the defensive lynchpin of your side could continue. Instead we tell the officials about the sub before the physio has even talked to him. Still not entirely sure what Edwards actually brings to the table, while Fallon simply isn't the player we seem to be hoping he is, never a target man.

Hibs were far better than us in the second half. Ran us completely ragged, and will finish top six if they continue to play like that

After considering all our performances this season, we look like we'll struggle to join them. We're ****ed if May gets injured

Hope all the Anti Steve McLean brigade are happy they got their wish and he got subbed , because his replacement was a standout.

Passenger.

MacLean was quite rightly subbed off as he had lost the ****ing plot. Kicking out at Craig then squaring up to everybody and you could see he was itching to dive in for a 50/50 and hurt somebody. Frustration probably played a part in it. Not entirely sure why you single out Fallon though, the entire team were passengers in the second half 

ONE ****ing shot on target in 90 minutes would be as good a reason as any to say why I think Saints were rank rotten today. Other words I would like to be taken into consideration include.. LACKLUSTER, CLUELESS, INSIPID, PISS, SLOW and CLUSTER****SHITE ( I made that last word up). If that's what we have then all I can say is thank the lord for Hearts, Killie and the Midden.. Special mention also to the ref Mr Madden.. You sir are a ****ing t*** and useless to boot.. I think that about covers my thoughts on this afternoons (mis)match.....

Now before anyone  comes on to call me a knicker wetter, this is merely my own opinion. I am sure some of the more football knowledgable scribes on WAP will be along shortly to say how unlucky we were and how good Hibs were.

Tonight Matthew I am gonna be  DISAPPOINTED.......

I know most will disagree with this statement, but I think we are a more fluid team when Davidson is not on the park. We need someone who will look for the ball at his feet and try to keep possesion, Davidson doesn't do that near enough. Both he and Cregg come into their own when making challenges and harassing players, but who was there to bring the wingers into play or link up with MacLean dropping short. I much prefer when we have Millar in the middle of the park.

Hibs midfield was quite impressive. Scott Robertson is a cracking player and the sub striker was a real handful.

Hibs got the result we deserved, too many Saints lads miles off the standard they have set.

Pie was good, pub was good, weather was good, lovely goal from May.

The rest was a total shambles. No ideas, no shape, no fight. Apparently the rules of football have changed. You no longer have to get the ball in that net thing. No, you have to kick it as high into the air as you possibly can, aiming it in the vague, general direction of a 4 foot 2 midfielder marked by 2 strapping centre halves. Do that for 70 minutes, and then bring on your 9 foot two inch reserve striker, and then immediately begin to try to play it on the ground (very badly). In defence, stand very, very still as the opposition players slowly walk the ball past you.

Worst of it was, other than some neat passages in the second half, Hibs were utter pants and there for the taking.

The rather challenged and spotty YTS-er in the pie shop queue I was in took 15 minutes to serve a grand total of 5 people, and still performed better than the Saints players.

Sulk mode engaged.

To be fair in the second half we really should have scored May did a great run across the box back heel set up for Cregg and FFS just hit the ****ing thing, but no ill take a touch and **** it up.

That's another huge problem. Not one player outwith May is comfortable hitting a first time shot, every single one of them needs to take an extra touch, while some just flat out refuse to even try and shoot

Pie was good, pub was good, weather was good, lovely goal from May.The rest was a total shambles. No ideas, no shape, no fight. Apparently the rules of football have changed. You no longer have to get the ball in that net thing. No, you have to kick it as high into the air as you possibly can, aiming it in the vague, general direction of a 4 foot 2 midfielder marked by 2 strapping centre halves. Do that for 70 minutes, and then bring on your 9 foot two inch reserve striker, and then immediately begin to try to play it on the ground (very badly). In defence, stand very, very still as the opposition players slowly walk the ball past you.Worst of it was, other than some neat passages in the second half, Hibs were utter pants and there for the taking.The rather challenged and spotty YTS-er in the pie shop queue I was in took 15 minutes to serve a grand total of 5 people, and still performed better than the Saints players.Sulk mode engaged.

regardless of what you post, I still think that is a picture of your pal.

regardless of what you post, I still think that is a picture of your pal.

Sigh. It's a picture of a bloke's knob with a face on it. It's funny, because if you knew me, very unfortunately it does look rather like me. I look like a knob with a face on it. Got it now???????

Feckin football. Feckin Saints. Feckin Singapore/Athens/Manilla feckin whatever wan+ker Saint.

Deep depression/random abuse mode engaged.

Hibs midfield was quite impressive. Scott Robertson is a cracking player and the sub striker was a real handful.

Like everyone else, share the frustration over today but really agree with the point above. Fenlon had no issue with trying to make the game a battle and succeeded. His midfield made us look dreadful in the second half and Robertson in particular was excellent. Hindsight is great but Wright should have had Millar on for Hasselbaink/Wotherspoon to try and get us a grip but instead he just replaced Hasselbaink with a similar but lesser player. That's fine if the tactics are working but when they aren't, you are relying in Edwards upping his game significantly.

Fallon is dreadful and we're in trouble if we have to rely on him for any prolonged period.

Players and manager have to share the blame today and it's gutting to lose such a good home record to a team we were capable of beating.

When Captain Goaless was signed I made an initial displeasure because of the ambition of said signing at the time. Time proved me correct. Fallon has now joined a very successful team, and once again I had trepidation. Tommy seems smart enough to know it wasn't his best signing and I'm sure things will move on.

Edited by AthensSaint

Very disappointed started pretty well but confess Hibs were the much better team, scarcely any of the Saints played even average. Subs definitely weakened us and inability to retain possession was painful to behold. Thought McLean was very quiet but Fallon did next to nothing when he came on and resorting to hopeful long balls was awful to watch. Performance seemed very flat and listless, zero movement and link up play not good. Defence seemed strangely shaky Ando had an off day too

Thought the manager had a stinker today. Our midfield was completely overrun and needed a 5th player. Unfortunately he swapped our most effective midfielder with Edwards who I'm sorry is just not good enough. Really poor from Wright today. Tactically out thought by ****ing Fenlon. Embarrassing. We had them in the first half but how Millar never got on to bolster that midfield I find bizarre.

Oh, and Fallon is rubbish.