Saints V Partick Thistle 28/9/13

glenrothes saintee

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-wright-admits-st-johnstone-2311411

"LAST season the Perthshire Saints finished in the top six and qualified for Europe, but manager Tommy Wright has told fans that they may have to lower their expectation levels this term."

If Lomas had said that we would be on page 110 already! Why is it so wrong to have a measure of expectation/hope? Will we NEVER be an established Prem side?

In fact, with THE Rangers still not in the league and Hearts starting with a points deduction, effectively taking them out of the top 6 equation, surely that increases our chances of finishing in the top half of the league.

I just don't get this 'lowered expectations' nonsense. The more I think about it, the more it annoys me with it's negativity.

Okay, in the end, we may not make top 6, and that wouldn't be a disaster (as long as we stayed up), but accepting an outcome and having a level of expectation at the outset are two totally different things

I thought the worst performance of the afternoon was provided by a section of our support, certainly the section around where I sit. They were getting on the players' backs right from the opening whistle. Our defending was pretty poor throughout the game, but it certainly wasn't going to improve after a bit of abuse. We weren't even playing that badly in the first-half. Certainly not as badly as we played in the first half against Celtic last week, or in the Hibs match the week before. Saints are very much a confidence team, and it was no surprise to see us begin to create chances once we had finally put the ball in the back of the net. It's funny how the atmosphere also changed at that point. Beforehand, misplaced passes were being greeted with absolute seethe by those around me. As soon as the goal went in, misplaced passes were greeted with applause and shouts of 'Unlucky! Good effort!'.

Anyway, both teams passed the ball around well but Partick looked the slightly more dangerous side in the first half while we dominated the second period. Disappointed we didn't sneak it, but a point is better than nothing. MacLean was my man of the match.

I thought the worst performance of the afternoon was provided by a section of our support, certainly the section around where I sit. They were getting on the players' backs right from the opening whistle. Our defending was pretty poor throughout the game, but it certainly wasn't going to improve after a bit of abuse. We weren't even playing that badly in the first-half. Certainly not as badly as we played in the first half against Celtic last week, or in the Hibs match the week before. Saints are very much a confidence team, and it was no surprise to see us begin to create chances once we had finally put the ball in the back of the net. It's funny how the atmosphere also changed at that point. Beforehand, misplaced passes were being greeted with absolute seethe by those around me. As soon as the goal went in, misplaced passes were greeted with applause and shouts of 'Unlucky! Good effort!'.

Anyway, both teams passed the ball around well but Partick looked the slightly more dangerous side in the first half while we dominated the second period. Disappointed we didn't sneak it, but a point is better than nothing. MacLean was my man of the match.

Welcome to football the world over

Really starting to get annoyed by the 'no criticism' brigade. Yes, there is a limit, but what you described above happens in every ground in every league in the world....many, many places one hell of a lot worse than you will ever experience at a Saints game. Jeez, it happens at football levels well below professional.

Supporting football is a full circle experience, from anger, to frustration to hope and joy. That is the attraction for many. All you that want to remove any form of dissatisfied shouts or negativity from the stands are living in cloud cuckoo land. Not everyone is the same. Some are more passionate than others and express themselves through their voice, others are more reserved and the criticism may come later between friends when they look back on the game.

One thing is for sure, 99% of those in the ground are delighted when we play well, when individuals do well and when the players give their all. Don't mistake the outpouring of criticism as some sign that that person is not a true or die-hard fan or whatever you want to call them. Even if they have given a player a mouthful 5 minutes before, if that player scores they will be delighted. I cant stand when other smug supporters turn round as if superior when this happens

There will always be the exception (the guy in the mainstand for example who seems to take no joy in Saints doing well)

Welcome to football the world over

Really starting to get annoyed by the 'no criticism' brigade. Yes, there is a limit, but what you described above happens in every ground in every league in the world....many, many places one hell of a lot worse than you will ever experience at a Saints game. Jeez, it happens at football levels well below professional.

Supporting football is a full circle experience, from anger, to frustration to hope and joy. That is the attraction for many. All you that want to remove any form of dissatisfied shouts or negativity from the stands are living in cloud cuckoo land. Not everyone is the same. Some are more passionate than others and express themselves through their voice, others are more reserved and the criticism may come later between friends when they look back on the game.

One thing is for sure, 99% of those in the ground are delighted when we play well, when individuals do well and when the players give their all. Don't mistake the outpouring of criticism as some sign that that person is not a true or die-hard fan or whatever you want to call them. Even if they have given a player a mouthful 5 minutes before, if that player scores they will be delighted. I cant stand when other smug supporters turn round as if superior when this happens

There will always be the exception (the guy in the mainstand for example who seems to take no joy in Saints doing well)

I have no problem with criticism when it's deserved. The players deserved some criticism for their displays in the 1st half against Celtic last week and the Hibs game the week before. I probably dished some out myself. However, there was no need for the abuse I heard from the starting whistle against Partick Thistle. Apart from a defensive lapse or two, it was an improved performance. The man behind me is the worst offender. He went absolutely mental when a sideways pass occurred (there were no other options). Two minutes later, one of our players punted it up the pitch and he said, 'Oh aye, typical! When in doubt, punt it!'. 

I'm not talking about justified criticism, Edstar. I'm talking about sheer ignorance.

Just watched highlights for first time. Ando's slip had nothing to do with Frazer's error I'm afraid.....not sure why he didn't attempt to cut it out.

For me, the handball wasn't a penalty either. The defender had no idea where the ball was. One of the things wrong with football these days is when penalties are given for incidents like that.

Also, I think my laptop is broken because it looked like Chris Millar had a shot on target

Just watched highlights for first time. Ando's slip had nothing to do with Frazer's error I'm afraid.....not sure why he didn't attempt to cut it out.

For me, the handball wasn't a penalty either. The defender had no idea where the ball was. One of the things wrong with football these days is when penalties are given for incidents like that.

Also, I think my laptop is broken because it looked like Chris Millar had a shot on target

Fully agree never a penalty, defnder knew nothing about it until it hit him

Fully agree never a penalty, defnder knew nothing about it until it hit him

Why was he moving to block a cross with his arms out in front of him?  Far more intent in the hand ball than jumping for a high ball and using arms for leverage and making accidental contact - a scenario which nearly always gets punished. 

Why was he moving to block a cross with his arms out in front of him?  Far more intent in the hand ball than jumping for a high ball and using arms for leverage and making accidental contact - a scenario which nearly always gets punished.

He wasn't, the ball went over his head and he simply turned round Edited by Edstar101

Still think he's turned around and is not deliberate, Millar's is not a penalty in a million years

agreed about Millar's.  Wasn't much of a dive though - fair challenge, lost his balance, had a cheeky look at the ref.  

I'm not saying that the other one was deliberate, but surely it is still 'ball to hand' if he leads with his arms - a defender shouldn't have his hands in that position when defending.  I honestly believe that it shouldn't be a penalty, but I've seen these given time after time after time (not to us of course).  It has to be about consistency.

agreed about Millar's.  Wasn't much of a dive though - fair challenge, lost his balance, had a cheeky look at the ref.  

I'm not saying that the other one was deliberate, but surely it is still 'ball to hand' if he leads with his arms - a defender shouldn't have his hands in that position when defending.  I honestly believe that it shouldn't be a penalty, but I've seen these given time after time after time (not to us of course).  It has to be about consistency.

As I said, I have also seen them given, and hate it. The problem with the consistency argument is that a bad decision or a mistake is then compounded on the grounds of 'consistency'...two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

We need to stop bleeting on about consistency...when a penalty is not given in one game then is compared to a similar incident in a game three weeks previous etc. It only puts more pressure on refs. Let them ref each game as a stand alone event. Cut out all the 'this offence must be a booking...this offence must be a sending of' etc...let the ref decide if the circumstances individual to that incident warrants a course of action.

In a similar fashion, the legal system is tied in knots due to precedence