Super Saints V Ict 22/2/14 Ko 1500.

rik2304

People thinking we are close to being as bad as St Mirren are absolutely delusional. Soz Kenny but off yer head.

Fortunately H, I agree that St Mirren are the worst of the bunch, but while we are dreaming of a top six place, they are only eight points behind us. All they, and the likes of Partick and County have to do is find a bit of form, while we continue with our own sad team selections, and who knows?

Now I've been drinking since I got home, and I know you haven't, but tomorrow I'll still be ugly, and you didn't, and all our opinions will still count for nothing, and Saints will win the cup anyway....and...sorry, what was the question again?

Just been mulling everything over all night, and wondering how other clubs would be performing if they'd had to play the majority of the season without their best central midfielder and their most creative forward player

That's irrelevant to the main points being discussed, being TW's persistence with Mudge and Gary in CM pairing.

Ps Iwelumo looked God awful. I've never seen someone who can't / won't jump for headers like that. Has he got no knees?

Bring back Fallon.

Sam Parkin was more mobile than Chris was today :shock:

When will we realise that these old guys are not the future. Seems we are bringing in more and more younger players and doing nothing much with them.

That interview with Fiona and a few of the players the other day could have taken place in a primary school. You're allowed to laugh and joke if you can play. Otherwise, shut it. They're not a bunch of honest lads, they're a bunch of kids who need to get serious cos I'm neither laughing nor drunk.

Reckon Dunne could alter our midfield for the better.

Jesus that was a painful 90 minutes. Caley could have been three up after about 10 minutes.

Extremely negative line up and therefore performance.

The entire midfield was utter dung. So frustrating watching them either pass and then stop or pass to to a Caley player. I'm no fan of Gary McDonald but he wasn't even anywhere near the worst player yesterday - that 'accolade' can go to Chris Millar. How many times does he pass to an opponent? Horrible footballer and one of the reasons why we'll continue to be a bit rubbish.

No idea what we were doing at the goal - was almost like a freeze frame of 'what happened next'.

Tommy Wright needs to wake up and take a good look at himself and so do many of the players.

Painful display.

The standard of football in Scotland drops significantly every season after/during the winter as pitches deteriorate. The team on the pitch had enough ability to keep possesion and use it to feed May, Spoony and Nigel (the same players that ripped Inverness apart earlier in the season), but from the off it was repeated high balls into the defence of a much taller team.

Jesus that was a painful 90 minutes. Caley could have been three up after about 10 minutes.

Extremely negative line up and therefore performance.

The entire midfield was utter dung. So frustrating watching them either pass and then stop or pass to to a Caley player. I'm no fan of Gary McDonald but he wasn't even anywhere near the worst player yesterday - that 'accolade' can go to Chris Millar. How many times does he pass to an opponent? Horrible footballer and one of the reasons why we'll continue to be a bit rubbish.

No idea what we were doing at the goal - was almost like a freeze frame of 'what happened next'.

Tommy Wright needs to wake up and take a good look at himself and so do many of the players.

lethamsaintee and me agree on this. It's easy when it's so black and white and right in front of your face :wink:

I thought McInnes was the worst I'd ever seen for playing his favourites. Tommy is getting there, if not there already.

It's long enough trying the same formula and getting the same result.

Sadly, with the type of contracts being handed out, this looks like it may continue.

Such a shame, because our start to the season gave no indication that we could get to this.

Individual errors and misjudgements are hindering us so much just now.

I feel that we need to start Iwelumo up front with May because although not probably match fit yet we need a someone to win headers for Stevie to feed off. This long ball game is useless with a small striker always up against giant defenders.

After Uwelumo came on we did give their defence more problems and he was getting held and shoved all the time which the referee mostly let go.

Also we need to use Dunne instead of Cregg who was just a passenger for the whole of the time he was on.

That's irrelevant to the main points being discussed, being TW's persistence with Mudge and Gary in CM pairing.

Aye I know, thats why I never quoted anyone, was just a general early morning ponder

Just had a quick look at our fixtures...

Lost against ICT - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Cregg

Lost against Celtic - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Dunne

Won against Forfar - Midfield of McDonald, Cregg and Wotherspoon

Lost against Aberdeen - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Wotherspoon

Drew against Hearts - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Davidson

Won against St Mirren - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Davidson

Lost against Ross County - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Davidson

Lost against Motherwell - Midfield of McDonald, Brown and Davidson

Won against Dundee United - Midfield of McDonald, Cregg and Davidson

Lost against Celtic - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Davidson

So in the last ten games we've started the partnership of McDonald and Millar in seven. McDonald is the only midfielder to start all ten. We've won only one of the seven matches they started together, against St Mirren. And we've lost five of them.

Wonder what TWs email is?

Aye I know, thats why I never quoted anyone, was just a general early morning ponder

Just had a quick look at our fixtures...

Lost against ICT - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Cregg

Lost against Celtic - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Dunne

Won against Forfar - Midfield of McDonald, Cregg and Wotherspoon

Lost against Aberdeen - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Wotherspoon

Drew against Hearts - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Davidson

Won against St Mirren - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Davidson

Lost against Ross County - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Davidson

Lost against Motherwell - Midfield of McDonald, Brown and Davidson

Won against Dundee United - Midfield of McDonald, Cregg and Davidson

Lost against Celtic - Midfield of Millar, McDonald and Davidson

So in the last ten games we've started the partnership of McDonald and Millar in seven. McDonald is the only midfielder to start all ten. We've won only one of the seven matches they started together, against St Mirren. And we've lost five of them.

Wonder what TWs email is?

Excellent work and really highlights the point being made by many

Im not too sure he's there as a true creater of chances, but is in to add energy and some guile.

Is that really how you see Wotherspoon's role in the team? For me, creating chances and being an attacking threat is exactly why he is in there but I'm struggling to remember anything tangible, other than the free-kick against County back in August and the excellent assist at Firhill last month. I think the great footwork we see at times masks the fact that his final pass often doesn't lead to anything that wins you matches.

Why is it fair to criticise deeper players for not providing goals and assists but put no focus on a guy who is in the team to do exactly that? Maybe I'm doing him a disservice, so I'll see if I can put some assist stats together.

We use him as an attacking midfielder,usually wide left where i'm not sure he's totally comfortable,personally think he's more in the Scott Brown mould of box to box with some subtle flicks and passes without creating bundles of chances,but that's not where we play him.He's not perfect otherwise he'd not be here,but he has everything i'm looking for in a midfielder,good engine,touch,can tackle his fair share and does often spot a good ball.

I don't think I've criticised any of the deeper players for lack of creativity,but I have for being unable to do the basics of passing the ball to their own men,and being able to keep possession,preferably without constantly going backwards,which they've all wanted to do far too often lately,some of the mistimings in their tackles is ridiculous,Gary Mac was really guilty of basically running in at 100mph,and not getting anywhere near the ball.I've stuck up for all the players this season,but i'm finding it harder to accept the same traits game on game now,and hope TW freshens up the team for tuesday 

We use him as an attacking midfielder,usually wide left where i'm not sure he's totally comfortable,personally think he's more in the Scott Brown mould of box to box with some subtle flicks and passes without creating bundles of chances,but that's not where we play him.

I agree he isn't comfortable on the left but I don't think he's anything like Scott Brown, who is another deep lying midfielder. Brown is much more like Jody Morris in my eyes and is probably the best passer we have in the central midfield area. For me, Wotherspoon either needs to play in front of the deeper midfielders or wide right. I think he has the ability to play that wider role but he seems to want to drift inside all the time and our lack of width was a killer yesterday. Not sure if that was down to indiscipline on his part or not.

Using the wonders of YouTube, here's a take on the assist stats for the squad in the league this season, where the contribution prior to the goal was a major contributing factor in us scoring:

Murray Davidson - 2 (Hasselbaink vs County, May vs Hibs)

Steven MacLean - 1 (May vs County)

Dave Mackay - 1 (Caddis vs Celtic)

Gary McDonald - 2 (May vs ICT, May vs Motherwell)

Stevie May - 4 (MacLean vs ICT (2), Mackay vs ICT, Fallon vs St Mirren)

Nigel Hasselbaink - 3 (MacLean vs St Mirren, May vs Hearts (P), May vs Hearts)

Chris Millar - 3 (Hasselbaink vs St Mirren, Hasselbaink vs Hearts, May vs Killie (P))

David Wotherspoon - 2 (Hasselbaink vs Killie, May vs Thistle)

Gwion Edwards  - 1 (May vs United)

In addition, May won the penalties he scored from himself vs United and Hearts and Wotherspoon won a penalty vs County but missed it. Always debatable what constitutes an assist and what doesn't though. For example, I didn't include Gary Miller's pass against Killie that was missed by the centre back, which is what really created the opening for May.

I feel that we need to start Iwelumo up front with May because although not probably match fit yet we need a someone to win headers for Stevie to feed off. This long ball game is useless with a small striker always up against giant defenders.

After Uwelumo came on we did give their defence more problems and he was getting held and shoved all the time which the referee mostly let go.

Also we need to use Dunne instead of Cregg who was just a passenger for the whole of the time he was on.

Iwelumo did nothing to merit getting a starting place with that performance.  Faor a big guy he won very little in the air and when he had a great chance to shoot he passed the buck.  I don't see how you think he caused their defence problems - I thought they were comfortable dealing with him.  

If Iwelumo played the game as good as he talks it, we'd have some player. I think with the way he's come across since signing, he's kind of conned everyone into forgetting he was just released by a League Two side. He should be used as nothing other than an impact player to throw on in the dying minutes if we need a goal.

I agree he isn't comfortable on the left but I don't think he's anything like Scott Brown, who is another deep lying midfielder. Brown is much more like Jody Morris in my eyes and is probably the best passer we have in the central midfield area. .

I meant celtics Scott Brown,you said "we" so not sure if you meant our youngster?