Scottish National Side

WeAreBurnley

Good day all - Burnley fan in peace here.

I just wanted to ask  a question/garner your opinion on something.

I've been informed that Kevin MacDonald has been called up to the national side. Now I've no axe to grind with the lad - though he seemed to struggle to apply himself whilst he was at Burnley he always appeared to have the talent but having watched Scott Arfield last season become a key player for us, without question a top performer week after week and then to see him play in the EPL and not appear even slightly out of his depth (admittedly after only 2 games, but one of those was against some of the worlds best midfielders!) I wondered if there was any underlying reason for this, manager issues etc? No offence to anybody but if KM warrants a call up surely Arfield has earned one?

I don't know how much you've seen of him, I'll admit I had no idea who he as when we signed him - to say I was underwhelmed at the time would be something of an understatement - but he has been top drawer for us. Works hard, plays wherever he's asked, tracks back to help the full back, scores goals (some belters) and at this stage he seems to just get better each week. Do any of you think he merits a call up?

Stranger things have happened with Strachan -I would not worry too much if Armfield has not made the squad as you will be able to keep him at club level for the rest of the season - Only ONE club in Scotland has players representing their country (Celtic) with Craig Gordon -Charlie Mulgrew and the young boy McGregor who has been picked for "Showing his hunger by going on loan to Notts County"......Says it all really !!

Good day all - Burnley fan in peace here.

I just wanted to ask a question/garner your opinion on something.

I've been informed that Kevin MacDonald has been called up to the national side. Now I've no axe to grind with the lad - though he seemed to struggle to apply himself whilst he was at Burnley he always appeared to have the talent but having watched Scott Arfield last season become a key player for us, without question a top performer week after week and then to see him play in the EPL and not appear even slightly out of his depth (admittedly after only 2 games, but one of those was against some of the worlds best midfielders!) I wondered if there was any underlying reason for this, manager issues etc? No offence to anybody but if KM warrants a call up surely Arfield has earned one?

I don't know how much you've seen of him, I'll admit I had no idea who he as when we signed him - to say I was underwhelmed at the time would be something of an understatement - but he has been top drawer for us. Works hard, plays wherever he's asked, tracks back to help the full back, scores goals (some belters) and at this stage he seems to just get better each week. Do any of you think he merits a call up?

You were very fortunate when you picked up Scott Arfield and he has done well for Burnley. I am assured by 3 Terriers in my house that he could not cut it at the Galpharm. They admit though that he might not have enough chances given that Town languish in the Championship and The Clarets are in the EPL. As for McDonald, I saw him a number of times at Bramall Lane a couple of years ago and his performances were usually pretty good despite Utd being a poor team. He was well liked by fans. Edited by Saintdunc

Cheers guys. Ihave to say it is hard watching him week after week to understand how Huddersfield could release him - our manager clearly saw something there and knew how to bring out the best in him.

I agree it's all to our gain but he comes across as a genuinely nice fella and one that probably would wear his countries shirt with pride (so few seem to, certainly for England anyway) - just guess it would be nice to see his hard work recognised.

The guys on Sportsound (or whatever it is called midweek) were pretty spot on when they said that the only reason the Celtic youngster is getting called up is that he plays for Celtic. They made the comparison with Armstrong at United who hasn't had a sniff. If he'd been at Celtic he'd be a regular in the squad.

The guys on Sportsound (or whatever it is called midweek) were pretty spot on when they said that the only reason the Celtic youngster is getting called up is that he plays for Celtic. They made the comparison with Armstrong at United who hasn't had a sniff. If he'd been at Celtic he'd be a regular in the squad.

I obviously dont watch United apart from when he plays against us but hes NEVER looked a stand out against us.

So based on that I can see why he might not get called up. 

Also I know Celtic is the only team that has any Scottish based representation in the squad but the best two performers for Scotland over the last year have both came from them as well. Brown and Mulgrew. 

I've not seen much of Macdonald but I cant imagine he will feature anyway. Arfield would of seemed a more obvious call up though?

Edited by PerthSeany

It's outrageous that this kid is the team ahead of Arfield.

Saying that, it's no surprise. Every kid that comes through with these guys is the next big thing an instantly in the national team. It's embarrassing. Guys like Mark Burchill and many more before him have all been the same.

He's acheived sweet FA in his career so far. Did Jonny Russell get a call up?

It's outrageous that this kid is the team ahead of Arfield.

Saying that, it's no surprise. Every kid that comes through with these guys is the next big thing an instantly in the national team. It's embarrassing. Guys like Mark Burchill and many more before him have all been the same.

He's acheived sweet FA in his career so far. Did Jonny Russell get a call up?

Russell didnt. 

We only have 3 strikers. 

Martin, Naismith & Fletcher

It's difficult to second guess some Scotland call-ups mate.

How Dave McKay has never been capped over the years and, more recently, Stevie May is beyond me. Not even in friendlies.

if Dave had pace he'd have been a regular at international level and would not be at saints. with only 3 strikers in the squad its clear we'll be playing 1up front . May is miles behind Naismith n fletch . Martin has had a great start to the season an offers a different option

• 1 month later...