Scottish National Side

WeAreBurnley

Did he do anything to improve Scottish Football ???

Restructured the acadamies system, tried to keep senior players out of the U20 league, was instrumental in making sure a pyramid structure was introduced to the league, promoted all weather pitches to local authorities and clubs. Added some important tenants to the coaching handbook re technique and tactics.

All of which will have subtle long term benefits to the game in this country.

Edited by gingermunkie

Restructured the acadamies system, tried to keep senior players out of the U20 league, was instrumental in making sure a pyramid structure was introduced to the league, promoted all weather pitches to local authorities and clubs. Added some important tenants to the coaching handbook re technique and tactics.

All of which will have subtle long term benefits to the game in this country.

Thanks gingermunkie, whos in pipe line to takeover.

Still seems odd he walks out of a 10 yr job 3 yrs in

You'll not get anyone in the media or sportsound to admit it, but Scottish football reeks of cronyism. He tried to bring something different and met resistance everywhere. Not his greatest fan, but he recognised what needed changing and to his credit got a fair few things through. You can guarantee that his replacement will be an underwhelming member of the Largs mafia' or someone with some tenuous old firm connection.

How folk like malpas, stark and McGhee have any influence in the next generation and current talent of Scottish football staggers me.

The likes of Cathro show that there is fantastic non ex player coaches out there, yet we still persist with old duds and these guys end up being lost to Scottish football.

Edited by TheYellowBox

You'll not get anyone in the media or sportsound to admit it, but Scottish football reeks of cronyism. He tried to bring something different and met resistance everywhere. Not his greatest fan, but he recognised what needed changing and to his credit got a fair few things through. You can guarantee that his replacement will be an underwhelming member of the Largs mafia' or someone with some tenuous old firm connection.

How folk like malpas, stark and McGhee have any influence in the next generation and current talent of Scottish football staggers me.

The likes of Cathro show that there is fantastic non ex player coaches out there, yet we still persist with old duds and these guys end up being lost to Scottish football.

They persist with ex-players and managers as media pundits because they believe that fans hang on their every word. I mean in the past two years I've lost count of how many times, no matter how many different managers or players, have been asked the simple question "What do you think is the best way forward for Scottish football" the stock answer and first out of the starting blocks is usually well... SF needs a strong RANGERS and...

After all that has gone on, these people still fawn and salivate over having the OF back and returning us to the status quo which we all enjoyed pre 2011. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Lewis McLeod called into squad for RoI game.

What happened to that Callum guy from Celtic who was called into squad after 2 half decent games.

It looks like Strachan is bringing the occassional young guy into the squad to see what they can do in training and integrate them into the squad even though he has no intention of playing them, which is why I'm a wee bit surprised to see May in the squad again.  He's done it with McGregor, Gauld, McLeod and arguably Pawlett which is fair enough, although I'm quite surprised at McLeod's inclusion at this stage.

I'm convinced there's an unwritten rule that at least one Sevco player has to be in the squad to help ticket sales, and keep the knuckle draggers happy.

Strachan's reported comments about adusting the league structure temporarily to get Sevco, Hibs and Hearts all promoted this season is outrageous.  Why not extend the rules so that certain clubs are guaranteed to stay in the top division irrespective of playing ability or financial incompetance?

I'm convinced there's an unwritten rule that at least one Sevco player has to be in the squad to help ticket sales, and keep the knuckle draggers happy.

Strachan's reported comments about adusting the league structure temporarily to get Sevco, Hibs and Hearts all promoted this season is outrageous.  Why not extend the rules so that certain clubs are guaranteed to stay in the top division irrespective of playing ability or financial incompetance?

So if there is an unwritten rule about inlcuding TRFC players, how did they get round it for the last couple of squads?

I agree about Strachan's comments - I like him but he's not doing himself any favours with that.  From his point of view it is important the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Rangers are strong and their Scottish players are playing at the highest level possible but to suggest adjusting the league structure to accommodate them was just just stupid.

And don't kid about sorting the rules so certain clubs can't get relegated - if memory serves Aberdeen and Motherwell have benefited from daft rules that have prevented other teams getting promoted in the past!

Edited by nips

Maybe he is going to Motherwell.

God help motherwell. Clue clueless fvckwit standing at fir park arms folded looking clueless as his team are getting their arses handed to them on the plate. Motherwell is a fine footballing city though!

On McLeod, as much as I think he is maybe there to appease the rangers fans, he is the one player for them who I think could go in to play at a much higher level, maybe Wallace. Think there are more deserving players than him not in the squad, but can see what strachan is doing with the young players.

Stevie will be on the bench for Scotland too, and so will Rhodes likely. WGS' preference is Naismith, Fletcher, Rhodes, then May/McLeod.

I like Rhodes and would play him ahead of Fletcher and Martin. Naismith is our best option up front though.

Lewis McLeod I know little about, haven't seen him play, presume he's there for the atmosphere.

Stevie has a lot to prove at this level - and given time and the opportunity I'm sure he will. That's why he's probably behind these three guys in the pecking order.

I'm not buying this theory that McLeod is only in the squad to keep the zombies happy - if that was high on Strachan's agenda then Lee Wallace would have been in a lot more squads than he has.

Rhodes isn't in the squad because he's not the type of player that plays the striker role Strachan wants. May could play in a couple of different roles in Strachan's system even though I don't think he's ready for international football.