Raheem Sterling

Kilgour

It is reported today that Real Madrid want to sign him for £50 million.Personally I think they should take it.

Granted he is an exciting talent and much improved from his days at QPR,but I think his further progress may be limited.

As we see Wilfred Zaha ( a similar profile) re-sign for Crystal Palace for £6m,I think Liverpool have to twist or burst.

I dont deny he has speed,trickery and scores a few goals.The but for me is will he progress or fizzle out.Asked for two "rest periods" this season already.

Maybe with Sturridge back some pressure will drop from his young shoulders.

£50 million  with clauses ...I would snap their fingers off.

I don't disagree Kilgour but he is in a team whose main attacking threat is injured and who's back up plan is Mario Balotelli. As for "will he progress or will he fizzle out?", that's the gamble all football clubs take when signing a player, could have said the same about Balotelli and Ronaldo.

I do however agree that a 20 year old needing rest breaks is a bit of a laugh although I do recall reading something like between Liverpool and England duties Sterling had played the most minutes in the season at some point

• 2 months later...

Greedy wee barsteward ! After the way Brendan Rodgers has protected and supported him,his latest antics are a kick in the Henry Halls.

hes turned down 100k a week, which he could have accepted now and still forced through a move to a bigger club in the summer if thats what he wanted. id say thats a young lad who wants to play at the highest level (and at the same time get a whopping pay rise to boot)

If i was playing for liverpool and one of the big two of spanish footbll wanted to sign me, i wouldnt commit to anything

But if them being there makes the club £1m a week, why shouldn't they get half of it? Most of these guys would be working in a plastics factory if they couldn't play footy. Bet you would have cheered if all the workers in the plastics factory got half the profits. I would. Good luck to them. Fancy moaning because some workers actually get paid some of the money they make for others.

But if them being there makes the club £1m a week, why shouldn't they get half of it? Most of these guys would be working in a plastics factory if they couldn't play footy. Bet you would have cheered if all the workers in the plastics factory got half the profits. I would. Good luck to them. Fancy moaning because some workers actually get paid some of the money they make for others.

aye but when you add up the rest put together you can see why some clubs have to fork out to players just to bring revenue in -hence Sky Sports and all the big sponsors.

One tackle and it could be back to the Plastics factory..

ive no problem with someone being paid well if theyre producing results. if sterling was scoring 40 goals a season hed be due a bonus of arguably several million a year. As an average player in an average team ,100k a week basic, before appearance fees, goal bonus etc etc, is ridiculous

If i ring 20 grand of sales thru a tesco till in a week, making the company 10 grand profit, would they pay me 5?

ive no problem with someone being paid well if theyre producing results. if sterling was scoring 40 goals a season hed be due a bonus of arguably several million a year. As an average player in an average team ,100k a week basic, before appearance fees, goal bonus etc etc, is ridiculous

If i ring 20 grand of sales thru a tesco till in a week, making the company 10 grand profit, would they pay me 5?

Have you got a clubcard ?

Your missing the point. It has got fek all to do with how many goals he scores, and everything to do with ridiculous Sky contracts, sweat child labour shops in China sewing footy shirts for 5 Bob a day, etc etc. folk are making billions - BILLiONS - out of these young lads. The real debate is about how they behave after they get their 1% cut of the obscene profits.

Roony getting blah blah millions a minute is about 1% of the issue. The issue is, that every time you and I buy a footy shirt, for £30, or £80 if you follow Man U, it was put together by a 7 year old who's weekly wage is less than what you spend on beer in a week.

I've asked several times on here if the fan reps asked the club if Saints are committed to paying the living wage. I also pm'd the owner of this site, who asked for opinions, and said he would feed opinions back.

No answer. silence.

It's quite simple- if people truly find the wages disgusting drop your sky sport subscription, drop bt sports, stop watching match of the day and avoid buying kits and the like. If enough people do it- then the league is suddenly not worth the same amount.

It's quite simple- if people truly find the wages disgusting drop your sky sport subscription, drop bt sports, stop watching match of the day and avoid buying kits and the like. If enough people do it- then the league is suddenly not worth the same amount.

done all of these in recent years, made no difference. as i said previously ive no problem with a top sportman earning millions per season, i do have issue with a journeyman or an unproven kid taking millions out of the football pot that could be better used to develop youth

We all want to see better football, and the only way tht is going to happen is if kids gets better training and facilities

done all of these in recent years, made no difference. as i said previously ive no problem with a top sportman earning millions per season, i do have issue with a journeyman or an unproven kid taking millions out of the football pot that could be better used to develop youth

We all want to see better football, and the only way tht is going to happen is if kids gets better training and facilities

And with all the money being pumped into the epl with the new tv deal, its only going to get worse

Agree totally. I'll find the results of the current tv deal very interesting. BT manipulated Sky into paying mega-bucks for the deal. An expert said that on average that to cover the extra cost Sky would need to increase the price by £10 per subscriber- although it's thought it will be £2-3 with Sky finding cuts in other areas.

I asked several of my friends with the Sky package what they'd do with a £10 price increase..... All said they'd cancel without a second thought.

And with all the money being pumped into the epl with the new tv deal, its only going to get worse

and with such a huge pot of money theyll leech more and more talent from not only scotland but around the world.

theres been at least a couple of decent documentaries about how the feeder clubs for the big boys, snap up young africans get them eu passports and at ~20/21 kick them out onto the streets of belgium or poland if they havent made the grade.

Big business has always treated labour as a disposable commodity, didnt think (or maybe just hoped) the beautiful game would go down this route