Saints V Alashkert Europa League Q1 2Nd Leg Thurs 9Th July 2015

Massive disappointment to go out.

Michael O'Halloran was outstanding.

Agree with most of the rest, but whilst he scored and he could've caused havoc, he wasn't outstanding. He got passed his man,yes , but he never looks up! One cross went 15 yards behind everyone and out for a throw in,no one was outstanding, and I'm hoping Kane gets better, I thought after a great goal at Pittodrie he would kick on, but, it's not impressive after so many appearances, dives too much for my liking and can't create an opening, hopefully improves soon. We like losing to poor sides, it's a bit of a trait

must be the reason we went out to the 2nd worst team in the whole thing. Tommy took the credit when we beat Rosenborg now needs to take the flak when we lose to utter shite. Bloody embarrassing

Poor performance Patsy, the ranking is irrelevant because of their appearances and their league rating, but Almaty beat a team with a far better pedigree than us , these results will always happen,and to better teams than us, but you're right, we should be beating them, and we almost certainly would've with our first 11 starting, but imo still should've

Agree with most of the rest, but whilst he scored and he could've caused havoc, he wasn't outstanding. He got passed his man,yes , but he never looks up! One cross went 15 yards behind everyone and out for a throw in,no one was outstanding, and I'm hoping Kane gets better, I thought after a great goal at Pittodrie he would kick on, but, it's not impressive after so many appearances, dives too much for my liking and can't create an opening, hopefully improves soon. We like losing to poor sides, it's a bit of a trait

I just felt O' Halloran tried to be direct and get in behind them.. Everything else was playing it square in front of them or lumping high balls. Maybe outstanding is exaggerated, it's just we don't see a lot of Saints players going past a few men very often.

Harsh on Kane tonight, playing left midfield was always going to be tough. Would have preferred Caddis in midfield and Kane up front with Macca or Sutton.

Macca and Sutton as a central pairing is surely not the answer for us this season.. Both good to have in the squad but if you have a slower target man surely you have to pair him with a quicker more mobile player. ( Obviously Maclean was playing deeper tonight).

The team have had their fair share of plaudits over the last few seasons and rightly so but that tonight was an embarrassment!

Yes we were missing key players and had key players taken off injured but to be knocked out by a goal that you wouldn't even see down the South inch on a Sunday for the pub league is bitter to swallow! What an awful fecking goal it was to lose!

Will watch it again but for me Mannus was far far too slow off his line! It's my only criticism of him, he's not one for sweeping!

John Sutton. . . . . I know he's only played two games for us but from What I've seen so far I've been bitterly disappointed! Never realised just how slow he was! His ar*e is bigger than Kim Kardashian! For a big lad I don't think he won a header the whole game!

Interesting that Wright hooked him When we were needing two goals and that we'd likely be lumping balls into the box!

Over the two legs we didn't deserve to go through and need to take it on the chin!

Hugely embarrassing. The most frustrating thing is that Alashkert weren't even good. Unfortunately we were just as bad, perhaps worse, and didn't deserve to go through over the two legs.

Of course, the quality of our starting line-up was decimated by injuries. As much as it pains me to say it though, I think that Caddis should have started. You should play midfielders in midfield if you have the opportunity, rather than strikers and left-backs. Tommy didn't get it right tonight.

It didn't click for us at all tonight. We never looked truly comfortable in possession and Alashkert were doing their best to stop any Saints fluidity by constantly fouling us. The referee was eager to give free-kicks for very minor incidents, and the general play was interrupted far too much.

We did look the more likely team to score, but Alashkert slightly changed their style of play and began to pass the ball around significantly better after we took the lead. After they went down to ten men, I was confident that we'd see it out. Conceding that goal was simply inexcusable.

A bit of a shame that the minutes' silence turned into a minutes' applause instead, but I'd blame the diabolical tannoy system for the general confusion in regards to that. 

Sutton wasn't very good but MacLean is living a charmed life. How long can the manager persist with a striker that not only doesn't score goals but isn't offering nearly as much to the team as he used to?

My own personal preference is for a striker with a bit of pace and flair and if that isn't Cummins or Kane, then I'd play O'Halloran up front despite his poor finishing at times.

O'Hallorans completely wasted up front, he needs to drive from deep. This was proved last season.

MacLeans got three goals in 14 months now.

Id like to see Swanson, Wotherspoon and O'Halloran all floating about behind Kane or Sutton tbh, everyones saying its been confirmed we wont be signing anyone else this Summer though, so Swansons possibly just a dream.

O'Hallorans completely wasted up front, he needs to drive from deep. This was proved last season.

MacLeans got three goals in 14 months now.

Id like to see Swanson, Wotherspoon and O'Halloran all floating about behind Kane or Sutton tbh, everyones saying its been confirmed we wont be signing anyone else this Summer though, so Swansons possibly just a dream.

If this is true then it looks like Tommy's made some poor choices this summer, it pains me to say. But that's another conversation for another thread.

McLean is intelligent player held the ball well tonight passed it,saints unfortunately lack a decent midfielder in the middle to assist, does anyone know why lappin, spoony,and midge where out tonight,we need Liam Craig back if this a long term problem with any of them

Edited by tucker

Did Cummins manage to touch the ball? I know it'll be near impossible to judge from 10 minutes at the end of a game, but any thoughts on him?

Yes he touched the ball.

If you were at the game you would have seen him chase a ball towards the left corner flag ,control it before laying it back to a colleague .

Hope that answers your question .

Hugely embarrassing. The most frustrating thing is that Alashkert weren't even good. Unfortunately we were just as bad, perhaps worse, and didn'tt deserve to go through over the two legs.

Of course, the quality of our starting line-up was decimated by injuries. As much as it pains me to say it though, I think that Caddis should have started. You should play midfielders in midfield if you have the opportunity, rather than strikers and left-backs. Tommy didn't get it right tonight.

It didn't click for us at all tonight. We never looked truly comfortable in possession and Alashkert were doing their best to stop any Saints fluidity by constantly fouling us. The referee was eager to give free-kicks for very minor incidents, and the general play was interrupted far too much.

We did look the more likely team to score, but Alashkert slightly changed their style of play and began to pass the ball around significantly better after we took the lead. After they went down to ten men, I was confident that we'd see it out. Conceding that goal was simply inexcusable.

A bit of a shame that the minutes' silence turned into a minutes' applause instead, but I'd blame the diabolical tannoy system for the general confusion in regards to that.

Fair comment .