Alan Mannus: past his best?

Wee Mental Davie

We have had problems in defence this season,the biggest being the loss of Wright but if you look at the stats each week the defence are restricting teams to 2 or 3 shots on target but unfortunately our goalie is not saving as many as you would expect.

Guest ScottMann

When you realise how intent Tommy was to play Mannus no matter what, with that good old hindsight, it would surely have been better to let Zander go out on loan for another season and play games than basically just sit on the bench. Cover could have been provided with a cheap, one season signing.

Still, Tommy's an ex-international goalkeeper so what would he know about it! 

I buy into the argument that a poor defence affects a goalkeepers form. However, as stated previously, we don't concede dozens of chances. It's literally 2 or 3 a game. Last season Frazer Wright was like a goalkeeper, blocking shots left right and centre. We don't have a 'throw yourself in front of a bus' defender now so we concede more shots from distance. Unfortunately for Mannus he's been found out time and time again by shots from distance that require him to move his feet and get across his goal. Don't get me wrong, in a point blank or one on one situation I'd have nobody else - he makes himself big. But a shot low down, I'm sorry but I've seen more nimble elephants.

The defence has been woeful this season and Mannus has been average at best.

2-3 chances a match? More like 3-4 chances each half.

Stats from bbc website says 4 on target. Paper says 3. I check stats most weeks & shots on target against us are few & far between. I am sure in the cup game v Killie there was only one on target. Unitrd game there wasnt many.

Its really not, you'd be getting close to double figures if you included the amount of clear sightings of goal opposition players get

Sorry, I didn't realise I needed to be so clear with you. Shots on TARGET.  I.e. the ones the goalkeeper actually has to save. That is what a keeper is judged on after all. And that is what we are talking about here. Mannus doesn't have many games where he wins us points. Aberdeen away this season was one. Struggling to think of many more.

Sorry, I didn't realise I needed to be so clear with you. Shots on TARGET.  I.e. the ones the goalkeeper actually has to save. That is what a keeper is judged on after all. And that is what we are talking about here. Mannus doesn't have many games where he wins us points. Aberdeen away this season was one. Struggling to think of many more.

Shots on target isnt just shots which the keeper has to save, its shot which are headed for the goal when it leaves the players foot/head. Shots which are blocked are shots on target.

Mannus stopped at least two goals yesterday with saves, and the only goal you could blame him for is the first.

Shots on target isnt just shots which the keeper has to save, its shot which are headed for the goal when it leaves the players foot/head. Shots which are blocked are shots on target.

Mannus stopped at least two goals yesterday with saves, and the only goal you could blame him for is the first.

Pedant.

Clearly yesterday was worse that normal hence us losing 3-0 to one of the worst teams in the league. Howeber, in general, mannus has only 2 or 3 saves to make a game. Tops. We aren't battered every week. 

Edited by Broon

Stats from bbc website says 4 on target. Paper says 3. I check stats most weeks & shots on target against us are few & far between. I am sure in the cup game v Killie there was only one on target. Unitrd game there wasnt many.

I'm saying clear chances that the defenders are culpable for not just shots on target. Like Fisher bailing out the others with his block on Rankin last week.

Goalies really shouldn't be to blame for any goals....of course, it will happen, but to use an example of 'he was only to blame for one of the three goals' isn't really that good a case 

Goalies really shouldn't be to blame for any goals....of course, it will happen, but to use an example of 'he was only to blame for one of the three goals' isn't really that good a case 

Why not? Kanes missed some complete sitters this season yet nobody screams for him to be dropped, yet when Mannus makes mistakes he shite and should be dropped. Both are equally culpable for the scoreline no?

Folk will make mistakes at our level, Mannus possibly made one yesterday but also made a save which stopped a certain goal. 

Guest ScottMann

Why not? Kanes missed some complete sitters this season yet nobody screams for him to be dropped, yet when Mannus makes mistakes he shite and should be dropped. Both are equally culpable for the scoreline no?

Fans giving an inexperienced youngster more leeway than a seasoned international? The bastards.