Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

33 minutes ago, That_Dave said:

It's possible that Kane only wants six months and the club wants longer. He might want an opportunity to put himself in the window for a better paid deal elsewhere and doesn't want to commit to the season. In that situation, it would make sense for the club to not publicise that he's available on a free in January.

I'd have thought it more likely to be the other way round, with Saints only offering him six months for now so that he's able to prove his fitness and show he can get back into the team. We've done that before, a few summers ago when (I think) Booth, Craig and Kane all ended the season with injuries so were given six-month extensions to prove themselves. 

As it stands I think Kane is probably our third choice striker, and we may yet possibly sign another striker, so he has a lot of work to do.

I can't see why he wouldn't have wanted the security of a one-year deal rather than just half a year. If he wants to put himself in the shop window he's just as well doing that over a year as over six months.

18 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

As it stands I think Kane is probably our third choice striker, and we may yet possibly sign another striker, so he has a lot of work to do.

If he gets back to his best, I'd have him as one of the first names on the team sheet. He would partner with either May or Clark, as I think those two a more similar in style.

1 hour ago, That_Dave said:

It's possible that Kane only wants six months and the club wants longer. He might want an opportunity to put himself in the window for a better paid deal elsewhere and doesn't want to commit to the season. In that situation, it would make sense for the club to not publicise that he's available on a free in January.

Its been reported he turned down longer deals at other clubs.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

If he gets back to his best, I'd have him as one of the first names on the team sheet. He would partner with either May or Clark, as I think those two a more similar in style.

Will be interesting to see if Macca even wants to use two strikers in whatever his preferred formation is. Personally I'd be starting the season with Clark and May playing together as I think their time as a partnership last season was one of the few spells when we actually looked threatening going forward and Clark's presence seemed to bring out the best in May.

May and Kane as a partnership is something we seem to have seen very little of over the years. Kane's most effective spell for us was probably in the Double season where he mainly played through the middle on his own. I see Kane's role as doing a lot of pressing, moving the ball up the pitch and winning lots of set pieces for us, but sadly not really scoring many goals.

I also still think we could do with a big out-and-out centre-forward who can be a bit more physical in the box for us and get on the end of crosses. Think that was sort of the intention with Rudden but sadly he was a bit not-very-good.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Will be interesting to see if Macca even wants to use two strikers in whatever his preferred formation is. Personally I'd be starting the season with Clark and May playing together as I think their time as a partnership last season was one of the few spells when we actually looked threatening going forward and Clark's presence seemed to bring out the best in May.

May and Kane as a partnership is something we seem to have seen very little of over the years. Kane's most effective spell for us was probably in the Double season where he mainly played through the middle on his own. I see Kane's role as doing a lot of pressing, moving the ball up the pitch and winning lots of set pieces for us, but sadly not really scoring many goals.

I also still think we could do with a big out-and-out centre-forward who can be a bit more physical in the box for us and get on the end of crosses. Think that was sort of the intention with Rudden but sadly he was a bit not-very-good.

Clark and May to me is a double threat, we could have Clark as the target and Stevie running off him in a floating role, I just hope that we can pull a rabbit out of the hat such as a Miggy who was off everyone else’s radar who can contribute to the team 

31 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Parish away now as well.

Thought he might have been happy with his back up keeper/coach role but maybe it was Saints that weren't happy , although did El Pazz not tell the dogger boys that he was giving up football and returning home last season.

Does this mean we need a new number 1 and goalie coach.

We thought we were in a new era of communication , maybe not.

8 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Have it on good authority that Kane is still playing 7 asides with his old school mates. 

Was doing so last night. 

Can’t imagine the club being keen on that tbh. 

Maybe been encouraged to get his fitness up.

14 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Have it on good authority that Kane is still playing 7 asides with his old school mates. 

Was doing so last night. 

Can’t imagine the club being keen on that tbh. 

Was top scorer too and was at the pub the rest of the night then seen with a large donor on the way home, Midlothian nites!

1 hour ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Was top scorer too and was at the pub the rest of the night then seen with a large donor on the way home, Midlothian nites!

I’m not joking Mr Malloy! 

Was well known he was doing it prior to his injury but to STILL be doing it seems reckless at the very least 

12 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’m not joking Mr Malloy! 

Was well known he was doing it prior to his injury but to STILL be doing it seems reckless at the very least 

Was only joking san! Never doubted you, but seemingly a decent lad by all accounts, but after being out for so long no too clever risking livehood for a kick about.

20 hours ago, Cagey said:

Thought he might have been happy with his back up keeper/coach role but maybe it was Saints that weren't happy , although did El Pazz not tell the dogger boys that he was giving up football and returning home last season.

Does this mean we need a new number 1 and goalie coach.

We thought we were in a new era of communication , maybe not.

Yeah I'd heard at the start of last season that he'd been planning on leaving then but ended up staying an extra year to help us out. As always, no idea how much truth is in these things. I always liked Parish, though. Felt he generally did a decent job when called upon and got some unfair stick at times.

Wonder if the club will now try to bring someone in who can double-up on the role of goalkeeper coach and back-up keeper. What's Allan McGregor up to?

I thought of McGregor but I just wonder if he's too big a figure for a rookie manager to handle. The rumour always was that this is why David Moyes got rid of Paul Gascoigne pretty early on in his tenure - the players looked up to Gascoigne and he had too much control in the dressing room.

5 hours ago, Stumpy1949 said:

I think he will be looking for better than backup. 

Maybe. His team has just been relegated to League 1, is he likely to be hoping a first team place at an SPFL club? Considering we're going to be playing an untested GK at this level, he might be quite hopeful to get the Number 1 spot.