Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

2 hours ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

Should be an announcement made today or soon on James Brown, new contract signed I am led to believe.  

Notice he wasn't in any of the Malta squads over the last 2 games.

Assume he didn't travel this time .

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Interesting to read Macca talking about wanting to use Hallberg in an advanced midfield role if he stays on. Could be an indication that he plans on starting with one striker rather than two?

Does that suggest he might look at a 4-2-3-1 ?

Presumably, Hallberg would start in an AM role, with Crawford as back up (I don't mind Crawford as an impact sub in that position). I'm just wary that only Kane works as a striker on his own, and that's when he's at his best, and you have to play to his strengths.

I wonder if Brown has been assured first team football in his favoured position as part of signing the new deal?

At the minimum, we're still looking for someone who can play RB & CB, another CM (McGowan can fill in here if needed, but isn't really a starter), & a LW (again, I wouldn't want Carey as the main starter for this). Also a back up GK

7 minutes ago, Linky said:

Does that suggest he might look at a 4-2-3-1 ?

Presumably, Hallberg would start in an AM role, with Crawford as back up (I don't mind Crawford as an impact sub in that position). I'm just wary that only Kane works as a striker on his own, and that's when he's at his best, and you have to play to his strengths.

I wonder if Brown has been assured first team football in his favoured position as part of signing the new deal?

At the minimum, we're still looking for someone who can play RB & CB, another CM (McGowan can fill in here if needed, but isn't really a starter), & a LW (again, I wouldn't want Carey as the main starter for this). Also a back up GK

I guess maybe he sees us switching between 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2, depending on opponent/how the games are going? Could mean that if Hallberg stays he might not feel the need to sign anyone else to play up front.

We're definitely looking very weak down the left-hand side and have barely any options in central defence so I'd have thought they'd be priorities, along with the back-up GK. We're also going to be struggling down the right if either Brown or Wright are unavailable at any point.

Hard to see where these players are going to come from - hopefully Macca has some positive surprises in store for us!

54 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I guess maybe he sees us switching between 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2, depending on opponent/how the games are going? Could mean that if Hallberg stays he might not feel the need to sign anyone else to play up front.

We're definitely looking very weak down the left-hand side and have barely any options in central defence so I'd have thought they'd be priorities, along with the back-up GK. We're also going to be struggling down the right if either Brown or Wright are unavailable at any point.

Hard to see where these players are going to come from - hopefully Macca has some positive surprises in store for us!

I hope we sign a younger striker with a bit of pace. Gives us a different option.

Hopefully Clarke makes a full recovery, but it’s not ideal having such a serious injury at his age. We need to bear that in mind. 

18 minutes ago, tucker said:

Seen some of the players the teams around us are signing seemly Turner is away to county so doesn't look good at all some decent players saints have let slip through there hands 

That assumes the players you are talking about were of interest to Saints.

The last manager signed an abundance of midfield players, many on long contracts that we still have at the club.

We also need a pathway for our young players to get into the first team.  Signing more players prevents this.

Macca the Manager has said the squad was too big and that he wants it reduced so perhaps another reason players the fans wanted have not been considered.

1 hour ago, Templar Saint said:

That assumes the players you are talking about were of interest to Saints.

The last manager signed an abundance of midfield players, many on long contracts that we still have at the club.

We also need a pathway for our young players to get into the first team.  Signing more players prevents this.

Macca the Manager has said the squad was too big and that he wants it reduced so perhaps another reason players the fans wanted have not been considered.

Could see a claim Turner blocks the pathway of Max/Ballantyne/Ferguson, as hes more attacking, but then again thats what Hallbergs surely doing if he accepts a new deal?

Deas, Allardice, Tiffoney, and Kennedy, are all ones who couldve improved our squad without blocking any youngster. All 4 have moved to clubs that finished below us last season.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Could see a claim Turner blocks the pathway of Max/Ballantyne/Ferguson, as hes more attacking, but then again thats what Hallbergs surely doing if he accepts a new deal?

Deas, Allardice, Tiffoney, and Kennedy, are all ones who couldve improved our squad without blocking any youngster. All 4 have moved to clubs that finished below us last season.

And you and I both know that all 4 of the players mentioned were offered more money than saints would be willing to pay them. Especially when we’re working on a reduced budget until such a time as we can slim the squad down. I can see people saying we’ve missed out, but only if it was at the right price and the right deal for the club. Turner will be on a fortunate up north, Dundee can offer larger wages than us and we both know Killie have blown saints out the water for both Deas and Kennedy, by virtue of having the budget available. 

It’s frustrating to see decent players go to other clubs, but likewise you’d hope we’ll sign someone who other teams will think they’ve missed out on. It’s just up to saints to find these guys. 

Just now, Stumpy1949 said:

If the United goalies are anything to go by I don’t think they will be too disappointed. So we will now be looking purely for another goalie. Strange to say the least. 

Why is that strange? How many player/coaches do you know? Every season we’ve been in the top flight we’ve had a dedicated goalkeeping coach as far as I can see. 

Don’t think there’s another club in the top flight who doesn’t have a dedicated coach either?

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

And you and I both know that all 4 of the players mentioned were offered more money than saints would be willing to pay them. Especially when we’re working on a reduced budget until such a time as we can slim the squad down. I can see people saying we’ve missed out, but only if it was at the right price and the right deal for the club. Turner will be on a fortunate up north, Dundee can offer larger wages than us and we both know Killie have blown saints out the water for both Deas and Kennedy, by virtue of having the budget available. 

It’s frustrating to see decent players go to other clubs, but likewise you’d hope we’ll sign someone who other teams will think they’ve missed out on. It’s just up to saints to find these guys. 

We've got rid of Wotherspoon, MOH, and Murphys wages, which were all decent, plus the 5 loanees who weren't free, plus had Hallbergs wage to play with.

If the club wanted they couldve let Hallberg go and paid enough to get Deas or Allardice. That would be more sensible to me.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I am sure Agent Preston will have some lined up . Maybe some will turn up on trial tomorrow.