St.Johnstone V Motherwell 21st October

SaintJet

1 minute ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

What is up with our second half performances, fitness?

We have been really start/stop with a run of games recently but they were far more fired up after half time and we didn't start playing again until the 80th minute!

Very poor second half. We offer nothing on the ball just passing and leaving people isolated with no one looking for the ball, just need to hope we can continue scoring set pieces. 

Feels like a loss.

But, I suppose, if you'd offered us 4 points out of 6 last week, we'd have taken it.

The positives were the first half performance, and being, all round, far more organised.

Also, Nicky Clark and Kane are developing into a partnership.

It's also good that Levein is playing two up front.

Levein said he liked how Brechin played, and I checked, and they played mostly 3-5-2.

However tonight, if Tommy Wright's in charge of that team, then we win all three points.

The negatives, the second half overall and the inability to hold on to what we had.

A bonus positive, is that there are a few teams in this league that aren't up to much.

Motherwell are one of those teams.

Keep calm and positive, and I believe we can get out out of this mess we're currently in.

Edited by Gekko

Needed the subs on earlier. Philips was too reluctant to challenge after his booking.  Gordon and Considine getting in one another's way and failing to clear their lines.

Plenty of positives though. We knocked the ball about well in the first half, lots of good movement. Took the goals well. Plenty of effort from the players as well. Nobody hid. Thought Carey and Smith were outstanding and latter deserved a goal at the end with the one tipped over the bar.

1 minute ago, templeofsaints said:

Thought Carey and Smith were outstanding and latter deserved a goal at the end with the one tipped over the bar.

I meant to mention and single out Smith.

He's really starting to get in his stride.

You can see why he's been to the World Cup, Euro Championships and been capped 19 times for a really good Wales team.

The ball seems to be magnetised to his feet.

He's a quality player.

It feels like a loss after being up 2 nil, but I’m still feeling positive, for 30 glorious minutes we were off the bottom of the table, three weeks ago we wouldn’t of taken 4 points out of 6 under Macca.

Other then the ugly sisters hopefully we can mix it with the rest.

Teams are going to drop points against each other all season.

To think that a team with only one win and had scored less then a goal a game could be off the bottom of the table, says plenty about the standard of the league.

Keep the faith

COYS

8 minutes ago, Lubolzer said:

When we are leading in games why not keep attacking. We have a dodgy defence so why tempt fate?

Dominated first half playing football. Sat back or pushed back second half and couldn't make a easy pass.

Dan is not a RWB and gave the ball away too often.

If we had kept playing football and pushing for third we would have been of the bottom and that would have been a psychological boost.

Their goalie didn't have a save to make until last 15 minutes even with our dominance. 

We were very impressive for the first 35-40 minutes. Best I have seen us knock about the ball for a long-time. We have the basis of a good team there.

I think the difference in the two halves were quite simple.... fitness and match sharpness. There is quite a few boys in there that simply haven't played a huge amount of football in recent months and the tempo dropped, which in turn led to us getting sloppy as players were not as eager to look to get on the ball. I would of liked to have seen us make a couple changes earlier and bring some legs into the team before we dropped a goal. Thought the management team, were too slow tonight, when we could of done with a boost. Also didn't really get putting Max on wide and then trying long kicks from the keeper, when he was surrounded by more physical players. I would of preferred to see us stick with the same shape that had been working so well in the first half and simply had fresher legs on.

Also think defensively the lads at the back did well. Some good challenges from all three of them. McGowan is a clear improvement than the younger lads, that had been in the team. Mitovs distribution was poor.

Overall, I think that we have a base to work with. Some of Maccas signings look like good finds and a few tweaks here and there, we may just pull ourselves out of trouble.

1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Confidence maybe.  We win that game with our old Tommy Wright mentality. But it's long gone. 

Aye.

MacLean calling them all shitebags probably still resonates in our performances now, hopefully them being applauded off at the end lets them know someone has their back when it goes wrong.

We are so raw and so fragile but there is a good team in there.

Smith, Sprangler, Phillips and Robinson are very very comfortable on the ball and intelligent players - but by god they are raw!

Nicky Clark needs 2/3 games to get closer to match fitness but if him and Kane can stay fit, they look a great foil for one another.

Problem is defence. Considine and Gordon are so reactive, slow and panicked. Mitov is a good shot stopped but he is not a leader back there and those three are a bombscare anytime opposition play balls over the top or into our box rein wide areas. We desperately need to sign a prime centre-half more than any other position. A Jason Kerr, Steven Anderson, Dave MacKay in there tonight and we go on and win that match 3-0. 

If Robinson, Phillips, Smith, Sprangler, Kane and Clark stay fit and start 90% of our remaining games and we add a quality centre back in January we will stay up, no doubt!!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz