WHO IS NEXT IN THE HOT SEAT..

GOB10

3 minutes ago, KinrossSaint said:

Martindale has came out and said no, Lennon won’t take the job, it’s sounding like Neilson. 

Would you really read anything into an under-contract manager publicly saying no? He pretty much has to say that.

How do you know Lennon wouldn't take it? (Not that I'd want him.)

I'd expect there to be a lot of candidates outside this small bunch that are being talked about.

18 minutes ago, KinrossSaint said:

Martindale has came out and said no,

No he hasnt?

14 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think you're probably right but wouldn't see any harm in contacting him and having a conversation.

One big thing that has changed since he left is that Steve Brown has gone.

They probably have asked him.

The lack of structure to help him scout players was the problem, and thats just the same.

Martindale quite obviously putting himself forward for it, without saying so outright. Recent interview talks about how well he knows and gets on with our back room staff, and does the classic "I have a game to focus on", rather than just saying "I have no interest whatsoever".

It's a sideways move for him, but I wonder if he sees that he's not a million miles away from the sack and Livi, and there's a lot of issues about to pop up on the non-playing side of things too.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/tommy-wright-ill-stay-with-northern-ireland-u-21s-even-if-a-scottish-club-comes-calling/a61910644.html

Im fairly sure its been mentioned that he was asked, unofficially, about any interest before MacLean was hired and said no.

Nothing at the club has changed since he left, and hes now got a job which allows him to both be a football manager and live his life. He wont ever return to club football IMO and to me thats fair enough.

What's changed is that Killie wiffy is no longer there.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Would you really read anything into an under-contract manager publicly saying no? He pretty much has to say that.

How do you know Lennon wouldn't take it? (Not that I'd want him.)

I'd expect there to be a lot of candidates outside this small bunch that are being talked about.

Apparently isn’t under contract at Livi, Lennon wouldn’t take the job because we don’t have a few million to throw at players and if ROI job becomes available surely he would stick his name down for that? 

David Healy would be a good fit, good record at Linfield and works well with younger players..  

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

To clarify, Martindale didn't say "no", he only said that he was aware of the interest but didn't want to talk about it because he wanted to concentrate on Livi's game on Wednesday.

Which is the standard, and correct response in these kind of situations.

As for why would he come here, Livi are also a basket case at the moment.

New and seemingly dodgy owners, his budget has been cut drastically, the fans have been getting on his back.

Plus, there are many rumours going around that he's had enough.

If you needed proof of that, check out his interview on Sportscene.

BBC iPlayer - Sportscene - Premiership Highlights 2023/24: 28/10/2023

It's at 52:12.

He looks seriously fed up.

Lennon's apparently a stick on for the Irish job so that won't happen.

I get people's misgivings about Martindale but I'd take him over Neilson.

If Neilson did a half decent job, the first whiff of a bigger club and he'd be off like a shot.

The fact the bookies odds have dropped so dramatically is also telling. These guys have contacts and like many journalists, they know what's going on. They don't like to be caught out. Especially McBookies on a Scottish market.

Here's the link to that by the way...

McBookie

Like most of you, in a perfect world, Martindale wouldn't be my first choice.

But it's not a perfect world, and we're not going to get my first choice, we won't get yours either.

So in reality, if it is between him and Neilson, I'll go for Martindale.

But, of course, as has been said, the unexpected, leftfield candidate could be speaking to Stan right now.

17 minutes ago, KinrossSaint said:

https://news.stv.tv/sport/david-martindale-focused-on-livingston-amid-nice-st-johnstone-links

besides him saying no I wouldn’t want him anyway, an ex drug dealer/ money laundering? A great role model! 

I think we’re all waiting for the link to an article where Martindale has said no? You’ve just included the link to an article where there’s an indication that he might be interested in the role. Think you might have sent the wrong link. No rush though.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/david-martindale-focused-on-livingston-amid-nice-st-johnstone-links

nice to be linked but not focused on Saints might as well be a “No”. 

like I say the guy spent years in Jail for money laundering and punting gear. I don’t think he is the answer. 

if Martindale gets the job I’ll eat my words 🥸

10 minutes ago, KinrossSaint said:

nice to be linked but not focused on Saints might as well be a “No”. 

like I say the guy spent years in Jail for money laundering and punting gear. I don’t think he is the answer. 

if Martindale gets the job I’ll eat my words 🥸

Have many employed managers ever said ‘Yes, I’m interested’ in response to this line of questioning? The key factor here is that he hasn’t said ‘no’. Of course he’s going to say he’s focused on the upcoming Livingston match rather than St Johnstone. He’s the Livingston manager. It’s quite easy to read between the lines. 

I also have no idea why his ancient misdemeanours would bear any relevance to his suitability as a football manager in 2023.

Edited by The Real Saints

Valid point on the no but let’s be real.. 

Livingston finished 7th last year, and are 6 points ahead of us this season and they are not even close to the same situation as us. He’ll get a bigger budget than us even at Livingston. 

it definitely bears relevance, what kind of example does that lead by? A leader of a team who was selling drugs previous to his managerial role? Ask yourself if you were hiring a manager for your company would you be thrilled of that history? I wouldn’t 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ah yes, the St. Johnstone manager was a drug dealer so I’ll become a drug dealer. 

I believe he does a lot of work educating younger people be that with local schools, community clubs etc. and talks about his past. That, plus him seeming like a decent and honest bloke, sounds like a decent role model to me. This isn’t a constant reoffender, or somebody who’s tried to hide his past, this is a man who’s taken responsibility, showed remorse, turned his life around and become a better person for it. 

Edited by PSJ.84

Just now, The Real Saints said:
4 minutes ago, KinrossSaint said:

Livingston finished 7th last year, and are 6 points ahead of us this season and they are not even close to the same situation as us. He’ll get a bigger budget than us even at Livingston. 

it definitely bears relevance, what kind of example does that lead by? A leader of a team who was selling drugs previous to his managerial role? Ask yourself if you were hiring a manager for your company would you be thrilled of that history? I wouldn’t 🤷🏻‍♂️

I understand that it’s easy to become oblivious to what’s going on elsewhere when Saints are in the doldrums, but Livingston are a shambles at the moment. The future of their ownership is up in the air, David Martindale is working without a contract, they are 100% in a worse financial position than ourselves, and elements of the fanbase are starting to turn against him due to recent results. I’m sure we’d be giving him longer-term assurances as part of the contract talks. He’ll absolutely give this move a bit of consideration at the very least. With a positive result from our game in hand, we’d only be three points behind Livingston.

If that ‘history’ was 20+ years ago, and the intervening years had been filled with consistent evidence that he was a rehabilitated man, showing obvious remorse, giving talks to prisoners, going to university to turn his life around, gradually working his way up the footballing ranks through hard graft, and then excelling in a managerial role, I don’t think I’d consider it to be a factor whatsoever, to be honest.

17 minutes ago, KinrossSaint said:

Agreed. It was in his past but unfortunately for him it was a rather serious crime. 

Slight difference but did we not kick George oboyle and kevin thomas out the club for taking drugs on a night out.. but we are now looking at bringing in a convicted drug dealer and money launderer, just doesn't sit right with me. And its not like we are bringing in pep Guardiola! so the hassle of his past just outweighs what he brings to the table for me.

Was David Martindale a poor reflection of a person? I don't think that is in doubt, but imagine everyone who went to jail took his attitude. I'd suggest the world would be a far better place.

Continuing to beat on a guy who has turned his life around, has owned his crime and has shown remorse is so ridiculous. David Martindale is the perfect example of how a justice system should work. Do your time and try to better yourself. He's done both.

He wouldn't be my first choice for the job but there are so many more worse options out there.

I appreciate that he has made his mistakes we are all human and I like if true about the local work I’m all for it. He might be rehabilitated but like @GOB10 said you cant shake off 4 years in Jail for a serious crime and it’s not like we are getting the best of the best in turn. 

Livi are in a mess but is it a case of frying pan in to the fryer? 

time will tell…

Aye. Martindale seems to spend most of his free time now trying to help rehabilitate others and regularly visits prisoners to try and encourage them to stay away from crime when theyre released.

Quite why someone who does that, and who rose from literally nothing to a top flight manager through nothing but hard work, is treated with such snobbery is beyond me.

Not everyone is lucky enough to grow up with good role models and have a perfect life.