January Transfer Window

pezza70

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Levein confirming that Phillips is highly likely to leave here.

For those who can't access it, Levein basically says Phillips has told him he's planning on going and the article suggests a move to England or abroad is most likely.

We haud a chance tae haud on tae him but blew it .

19 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

What do you think Saints should have done? The article says we made previous attempts to keep him. It's highly likely his agent would have been advising him to wait and see what other offers come along. And really, why would he want to commit his future to Saints when we could easily be playing in the Championship next season? Even if we stay up, playing for Saints doesn't exactly look like it's a lot of fun these days.

This time next year it'll be Mitov we'll be facing up to losing, unless there's a plan to cash in on him this summer.

12 minutes ago, Linky said:

Couldn't do anything about Phillips, but I do think we need to sell Mitov whilst his stock is high. Nightmare to lose him, but better getting a fee than losing him for free the year afterwards.

Agree but what kind of fee could we get with him out of contract next summer ?.

9 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Agree but what kind of fee could we get with him out of contract next summer ?.

Knowing what Saints are like when it comes to selling players, probably a very small one. That's why I'd rather we just held onto him for another year. I think another full season of having a goalkeeper as good as that is worth a lot more to us than the £200,000 or whatever it would be we'd end up selling him for.

I wonder if there's a chance Celtic might show an interest in him.

58 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Knowing what Saints are like when it comes to selling players, probably a very small one. That's why I'd rather we just held onto him for another year. I think another full season of having a goalkeeper as good as that is worth a lot more to us than the £200,000 or whatever it would be we'd end up selling him for.

Was thinking exaclty that. Mitov is  the top shot stopper in the league and has shown a good temprament for the Scottish game. If Celtic think he's good enough I could see a low ball offer from them so we would need to show some resolve to keep him unless our evaluation is met or have an unsettled player on our hands.

5 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

The article has quotes saying Phillips always wanted to use the 2yr deal to get him another move and all efforts to get him renewed during his contract haven't worked.

3 hours ago, Linky said:

Couldn't do anything about Phillips, but I do think we need to sell Mitov whilst his stock is high. Nightmare to lose him, but better getting a fee than losing him for free the year afterwards.

Goalkeepers are different. It's so easy to get a shite one and suddenly you're losing every week as they chuck goals in. If they are certain they could get a decent one then sell him, if not then you keep him.

If we stay up, I'd like to see a new contract offer put on the table for Mitov as one of our first priorities. If we offer him a one-year extension with a decent pay rise, and some sort of release clause so that we can't stand in his way if a good offer comes in, it could be tempting for him to start earning more money now rather than have to wait for another year. He'd get more money and Saints would get more security for when offers start coming in.

34 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

If we stay up, I'd like to see a new contract offer put on the table for Mitov as one of our first priorities. If we offer him a one-year extension with a decent pay rise, and some sort of release clause so that we can't stand in his way if a good offer comes in, it could be tempting for him to start earning more money now rather than have to wait for another year. He'd get more money and Saints would get more security for when offers start coming in.

This is such a clever financial savvy strategy: it has no place in this form.😂

6 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

That's not accurate at all

McLean tried to tie him up on what was I believe highest paid player at the club or very close

A few attempts since also 

****ed when agents get involved though 

1 hour ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

He is contracted till next summer

So would need to pay a fee if it happens 

Yes but not big one with him in the last year of his contract.

you would think with Saints givinb him a chance and him getting a game for Bulgaria on the strength of it  hecould maybe extend for another year but it doesn't work like  that. 

6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Celtic have made a concrete offer for Dutch goalie called Vaessen.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Drey Wright and Cammy MacPherson back training on grass now.

Really good news about Drey Wright.

No sign of Ali Crawford yet ?. Probably out top scoring midfielder.

I wonder if we have made any pre contract signings.

I wonder if we have earmarked any signings for next season.

I wonder if we have tried to re sign any of our out of contract players.

Is Gus in charge of all above?.

59 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I wonder if we have made any pre contract signings.

I wonder if we have earmarked any signings for next season.

I wonder if we have tried to re sign any of our out of contract players.

Is Gus in charge of all above?.

Very difficult to do any of the above when we have no idea what league we're going to be in. It's a cycle we've been stuck in for a few seasons now and it immediately puts us at a disadvantage for next season.

I don't think Gus is in charge of identifying signings, incidentally. It'll be up to Levein to say which players he wants kept on, and what signings he wants us to target.