#07 - 26/08/08 - Livingston (a) - Co-Op Insurance Cup

Radford 72

First month of the season draws to a close after Tuesday's game and I don't think anyone would have envisaged us having such a poor start, even with a below par pre-season.

I'm expecting a big reaction from the manager and players against a team we've already beaten this season but who have since picked up some decent form.

A decision obviously has to be taken on Dan Smith so I won't mention a left back but the rest of my side would be:

Main

Irvine - Anderson - McCaffrey - ???

Millar - McKoy - Hardie - Swankie

Holmes - Milne/Jackson

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First month of the season draws to a close after Tuesday's game and I don't think anyone would have envisaged us having such a poor start, even with a below par pre-season.

I'm expecting a big reaction from the manager and players against a team we've already beaten this season but who have since picked up some decent form.

A decision obviously has to be taken on Dan Smith so I won't mention a left back but the rest of my side would be:

Main

Irvine - Anderson - McCaffrey - ???

Millar - McKoy - Hardie - Swankie

Holmes - Milne/Jackson

Put Millar in the middle instead of Hardie, Swankie on the right and Sheerin on the left and that would be my preferred choice. I assume if Smith isn't signed we'll have Craig in at left-back?

Main will be exhausted and exasperated after yesterday so I reckon McLean will come in to let Main get over it. I think Smith will be signed and Del will play some players not getting a regular match. They could do no worse.

Incidentally, if they were not called in today for extra training, I really would ask the question, why not?

here I go again.....4-3-2-1

Main

Irvine,Ando,McCaffery,Smith

Millar,McKoy,Sheerin

Savo.....................................................................................Swankie.

Holmes

Subs.McLean,Hardie,Weatherston,Peaso,Jackson.

I'll assume Smith doesn't sign so I'll go for.....

Main

Irvine, Ando, Caff, Sheerin

Millar, Hardie. McKoy, Craig

Savo, Jacko

Best of luck boys!!

Put Millar in the middle instead of Hardie, Swankie on the right and Sheerin on the left and that would be my preferred choice. I assume if Smith isn't signed we'll have Craig in at left-back?

I just feel Millar can get a bit swamped in the middle and has a bit more room out on the right. Admittedly it's maybe harder to track his runs from the centre but as good a player as he is, he was just bullied out of the game yesterday. I think we need to stick with Hardie as well (in the centre) as he's a key player and we need him to regain some form. It's for the same reason I'd contemplate maybe starting Jacko.

I know Swankie has said he's happy to play on the right (and is right footed) but for me we need to work on getting the best out of him down the left as it seems to be his primary position. Wouldn't be upset if he starts on the right though. Wouldn't have Liam Craig near my midfield on Tuesday but it's six and two three's between him and Sheerin for left back.

For me, the really key thing is we just get back to basics with regards formation. Nothing wrong with playing a 4-4-2 that has a ball winner and an attacking threat in the centre of midfield, some natural width and a big man/fast man partnership up front. If you took an aerial picture of the way we were lining up yesterday, a monkey could tell you it was ridiculous.

here I go again.....4-3-2-1

Main

Irvine,Ando,McCaffery,Smith

Millar,McKoy,Sheerin

Savo.....................................................................................Swankie.

Holmes

Subs.McLean,Hardie,Weatherston,Peaso,Jackson.

I would go with that but I would give Wheatherston a shot on the right instead of Savo.

Nothing against Savo but I think we need the width , a couple of guys that can get crosses in for Holmes & also protect the full backs which most teams now know is our problem & where most of the goals are coming from.

main

mcaffrey

irvine ando smith (craig)

Miller mcoy sheerin

swankie jacko milne

Mcaff sweeping up behind back 3

Playing a sweeper behind a back 3? If you are looking at a sweeper would you not be better with a 2 both picking up and supported by 2 wingbacks. Otherwise your 3 defenders are going to get drawn in and leave room up the flanks. Just a thought?

Playing a sweeper behind a back 3? If you are looking at a sweeper would you not be better with a 2 both picking up and supported by 2 wingbacks. Otherwise your 3 defenders are going to get drawn in and leave room up the flanks. Just a thought?

Hey!!!! You sound like you really know what your talking about Mainstand ( or can we call you Del:laugh:).If you can also do the mad hand signals, be unable to find a decent left back and kick the odd water bottle over in rage ,YOU could be our next boss, but beware, if you get off to a shite start we,ll rip the piss out of you and demand your head on a plate....:laugh:

Hey!!!! You sound like you really know what your talking about Mainstand ( or can we call you Del:laugh:).If you can also do the mad hand signals, be unable to find a decent left back and kick the odd water bottle over in rage ,YOU could be our next boss, but beware, if you get off to a shite start we,ll rip the piss out of you and demand your head on a plate....:laugh:

My young team do that to me at the moment!! :-)

i think craig needs dropped for a while he was mince on saturday and I have been told he was terrible against the pars too.

not so sure about the form of hardie he seems to get rather moodie and does not use it to an effective manner recently.

would rather see two upfront and four in the middle with people making effective runs down the wings rather than having our strikers being pulled out wide and leaving no options in the middle.

we need sherring back.

i think craig needs dropped for a while he was mince on saturday and I have been told he was terrible against the pars too.

It's difficult because Craig showed us consistently that he was a good player last season but I think he's suffering a bit from thinking he's a lot better than he actually is. I'm not sure where he was supposed to be playing on Saturday but he was practically on top of Chris Millar in the middle for the duration of his match and completely ignored everything going on to his left, which was a lot of free running for Partick Thistle players.

Ironically, I believe his best performance for us this season has come in the left back role. I think - on current form - he should be no-where near the midfield but he would be my choice for the make shift left back over Sheerin for a few reasons. Sheerin is too slow to cope for ninety minutes and anyone with pace will murder him. Livingston have some pace up front and I just wouldn't do that to ourselves. So Craig in there for me to make way for someone else in midfield. I'd go with four in midfield and would play either Sheerin or Swankie infront of him. Sheerin probably - for me - because he can offer a bit more protection to Craig than Swankie can IMO. Although McInnes might want to add a bit more pace to the midfield so Swankie could be in contention for a start.

In the middle we can't afford not to put some brutes in there as we've been continually overrun in the last two matches. Back to the good old days when Hardie batters people for a living. Millar out right for me. Up front, only two strikers have shown any sort of form this season so it's an easy selection. Jackson might be in contention to play alongside Holmes but I would go with Milne myself.

As on the other thread:

Main

Irvine Anderson McCaffrey Craig

Millar Hardie McKoy Sheerin/Swankie

Holmes Milne/Jackson

That's assuming we don't sign another defender by tomorrow.

If you mean Sheerin I guess you missed the Pars game?

yeah i meant sheerin, was not at the pars game. but after watching the midfield on saturday we could have done with someone who could hold the ball and make decent passes. miller just seemed to do nothing and seemed reluctant to go forward, even though he saw a lot of the ball.