Gary Irvine

LewisMacdonald

amazing and great news but im concerned at it only being a one year deal was hopeing for a 2 year at least mean we could loose him as soon as january.

Great that he's signed but worried that it's only 1 year. If he plays well for us then I can see him going in January as well. If someone offers around £50k I think we'll sell him rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the season.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great that he's signed but worried that it's only 1 year. If he plays well for us then I can see him going in January as well. If someone offers around £50k I think we'll sell him rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the season.
Agree. Come January anyclub can sign him on a pre contract.

However, we have in our favour, that will be playing SPL football. All being well we will have a clear idea of our position and can offer him a deal at this stage. I suspect the club wanted him on a 2 year deal, Gary rightly, looking after himself, probably wanted the shorter terms.

Thing is, at this level, any contract we managed to tie Gary to, if he was good enough, would be bought anyway. The next step, beyond us would have to be a championship club and they would pay the £100k+ that we would need without much issue had he signed a 2 or 3 year deal.

That aside, its a big step for us, we can now focus on other areas of the side.

Del - Left Back, Striker and a goalkeeper then you can have your summer back!!!!

Not that fussed about a 1 year deal. A 2 year deal would have guaranteed us a transfer fee if he decides to leave in a year. At least he's signed something though. So that's everyone on the books got a contract then? Good stuff.

Great to see a player show some loyalty in this day and age. I know there is more to it than that, with Irvine wanting to prove he can play in the SPL but with a young family, the temptation must've been there to take the money and security of a deal down south. When you see Hearts losing their captain to a side in The Championship, it puts it into perspective, us holding onto a player wanted by teams in that league.

Great to have all the contracted guys sorted out for next season and with two new signings in already, we're well placed when the current SPL clubs haven't even finished their season yet.

Just to add to what Mike said about a left back, goalie and striker, McInnes has also said he wants a wide midfielder, I assumed right sided.

A saga with a happy ending! glad he has decided to stay but agree that it would have been better to tie him in to a longer contract.

You do get more money down south but with a young family do you really want to up sticks and move them? I wouldnt.

Also I still get the impression that he may still carry a torch for the mighty 'tic' and if hes close at hand he may impress enough to make a return.

fantastic news but if gary signed yesterday the same as main, why didnt they say that on the website at the sametime as main?

im not taking this for granted yet, il wait til its on the website before i start bouncing off the walls.

Maybe they just want to give us all that friday feeling.

Just wish they would hurry up with it.

I know people have said a two year contract would have been better but I dont think the club had much of an option. I am guessing the player has said one year and we will see how it goes. After the year he has had he could probably reason that Saints will still want him in a year's time. It would have to be majorly catastrophic season for Saints not to make him an offer so if he continues to progress then he will come to the knowledge of some bigger teams. I dont think he would have signed for any longer if there is truth in those other offers.

The player has shown some loyalty but also been very clever in my eyes.

I don't think we have any right to complain at a 1 year deal. We are very lucky he has decided to stay put.

I''m confident he'll want to sign up for a longer term deal in due course after all he'll want to hang around for the defence of the SPL title and Champions League place the following season.

I don't think we have any right to complain at a 1 year deal. We are very lucky he has decided to stay put.

I''m confident he'll want to sign up for a longer term deal in due course after all he'll want to hang around for the defence of the SPL title and Champions League place the following season.

I agree we should be grateful he's signed at all, what with all the other offers flying about. Not so sure about the title defence etc but I like your thinking :wink:

Well done Gary now you get your chance to show 'The ****' what they're missing :laugh:

I know people have said a two year contract would have been better but I dont think the club had much of an option. I am guessing the player has said one year and we will see how it goes. After the year he has had he could probably reason that Saints will still want him in a year's time. It would have to be majorly catastrophic season for Saints not to make him an offer so if he continues to progress then he will come to the knowledge of some bigger teams. I dont think he would have signed for any longer if there is truth in those other offers.

The player has shown some loyalty but also been very clever in my eyes.

Completely agree, and its fantastic news. It would have been the icing on the cake though if it was for 2 years. I agree he has shown loyalty in staying with us, where he could have went elsewhere for more money. However looking back we did almost 'gamble' on him taking him from reserve football, giving him a 2 year deal then, and sticking by him when his performances weren't quite as good as they have been over the last 5 or so months.

As i said delighted he's going to be with us for our return to the SPL, however if he picks up where he left off next season, think we'll struggle to hold on to him, and it looks like thats how the player sees things going.

Anyway, I don't like being negative with news like this, So well done to the the club, Del and Tony, and come on BLONDIE!