Gannochy Trust - The Brown Family Legacy

Ginger Bakers rebel army

Arthur K Bell made his money in Perth from Bells whisky, he left an amazing legacy for Perth including the housing development at Gannochy, Bells Sports Center, the A K Bell Library, Quarrymill, The Theatre and various other projects. The trust still exists to this day.

The Brown family have been fantastic for ST Johnstone but the club belongs to the people who support it.

Steve does not want to carry on and Geoff wants to sell.

The Browns have made tens of millions from their successful business ventures and any money raised from the sale of St Johnstone will make no difference to their lives.

Geoff could donate his shareholding to St Johnstone FC and set up a board of Directors working under a modus operandi set by the Browns.

An 11 man Board of Directors including 1 Chairman. The Chair is held for a maximum of 2 years and then passed on to another Director.

The Board is made of St Johnstone supporting business people and 2 fans representatives. Perhaps varying backgrounds, Architect, Engineer, Surveyor, Financial Services, Insurance, sales,   marketing and the existing Board members that want to stay on.

The CEO is retained to do the day to day running and each Board member has responsibility for overseeing one are of operation e.g  Catering, ticket office, lottery, marketing etc.

There are plenty of clever people out there that support St Johnstone that I am sure would be interested in getting involved in this type of set up.

The Board members would be paid a small retainer to cover their expenses.

An 11 man Board would bring a wealth of knowledge to the club.

I think the support would increase if this approach was adapted and Geoff like A K Bell all those years ago would leave a fantastic legacy and be granted the Freedom of the City.

I think the important thing to remember in this is that the Brown family will have no desire to profit out of the sale of the football club. It has been stated before by Geoff Brown that the most important thing is to pass the club onto the "right" person. 

Certain constraints would require to be imposed regarding future dissolution of assets (ie sale of the site) and assurances regarding maintaining the McDiarmid name. Another requirement for me is that the Brown name would maintain to be connected with the club permanently.

It must never be forgotten that Geoff saved our club from oblivion and Steve has brought us our greatest success (to date). 

1 hour ago, Dave Ferg said:

I think the important thing to remember in this is that the Brown family will have no desire to profit out of the sale of the football club. It has been stated before by Geoff Brown that the most important thing is to pass the club onto the "right" person. 

Certain constraints would require to be imposed regarding future dissolution of assets (ie sale of the site) and assurances regarding maintaining the McDiarmid name. Another requirement for me is that the Brown name would maintain to be connected with the club permanently.

It must never be forgotten that Geoff saved our club from oblivion and Steve has brought us our greatest success (to date). 

I agree, Asda deal built the stadium and Bruce McD donated the land. I would hope that the Brown's pass it on to the right future custodians but not for profit. 

4 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Arthur K Bell made his money in Perth from Bells whisky, he left an amazing legacy for Perth including the housing development at Gannochy, Bells Sports Center, the A K Bell Library, Quarrymill, The Theatre and various other projects. The trust still exists to this day.

The Brown family have been fantastic for ST Johnstone but the club belongs to the people who support it.

The Browns have made tens of millions from their successful business ventures and any money raised from the sale of St Johnstone will make no difference to their lives.

Geoff could donate his shareholding to St Johnstone FC and set up a board of Directors working under a modus operandi set by the Browns.

An 11 man Board of Directors including 1 Chairman. The Chair is held for a maximum of 2 years and then passed on to another Director.

The Board is made of St Johnstone supporting business people and 2 fans representatives. Perhaps varying backgrounds, Architect, Engineer, Surveyor, Financial Services, Insurance, sales,   marketing and the existing Board members that want to stay on.

The CEO is retained to do the day to day running and each Board member has responsibility for overseeing one are of operation e.g  Catering, ticket office, lottery, marketing etc.

There are plenty of clever people out there that support St Johnstone that I am sure would be interested in getting involved in this type of set up.

I think the support would increase if this approach was adapted and Geoff like A K Bell all those years ago would leave a fantastic legacy and be granted the Freedom of the City.

When Geoff took over did he not set up a board of local businessmen who helped run the club ,like Dave Sidey & Dougie McIntyre who gradually withdrew from the club.

Edited by Cagey

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

When Geoff took over did he not set up a board of local businessmen who helped run the club ,like Dave Sorry & Dougie McIntyre who gradually withdrew from the club.

There was some of that and that could be the best way out for Steve who would probably stay on for a transmission period. 

There's a wealth of business talent that support saints and others with diverse experience that could benefit and promote the feel good factor such as Stuart Cosgrove 

3 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

There's a wealth of business talent that support saints and others with diverse experience that could benefit and promote the feel good factor such as Stuart Cosgrove 

What happened to the business club ? 

14 hours ago, slf said:

What happened to the business club ? 

There were 70 business club members in 2014 according to a Jim masson article in the evening telegraph. 

Not seen any business club cheques presented for ages. 

My grey matter is telling me there was a falling out of some sort with some business club members or rotary club members or something but I can't remember. 

Regardless, there is a wealth of St Johnstone supporting talent that could form an effective Board if Geoff wants to move the club forward. 

23 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

That is one hell of a logical , smart & I encourage you to send this by mail to the current board

I'm personally very against fan ownership of clubs.

Only as a last resort.

Fans unfortunately rarely know the best for clubs and if I was to see Saints move to that model it would be a great concern.

A benevolent dictator type just works better for clubs our size, albeit with plenty of fan input... just not calling the shots.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:00 PM, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Some great stuff Gus, sadly the Broons will of go for it.

16 hours ago, Sainteesean said:

Only as a last resort.

Fans unfortunately rarely know the best for clubs and if I was to see Saints move to that model it would be a great concern.

A benevolent dictator type just works better for clubs our size, albeit with plenty of fan input... just not calling the shots.

I am not against fan ownership per se - it seems to work for some clubs. However, I definitely feel that it would be a mistake to only select Saints fans for the board. It's important that business decisions are made for the right reasons and with fans it is too likely that sentimentality will get in the way. Of course, every board member must have Saints' best interests at heart, but thats not the same as requiring them to be a 'fan'.

Fan ownership doesn’t mean they take a vote every time the manager makes a substitution. The usual model is the fans elect some of the board, they appoint professionals to fill the rest of the spaces, the board appoint senior managers, who then appoint the rest of the staff and everything carries on pretty much as it does under other models. Day to day there isn’t any difference. The big difference is you can probably replace the guy at the top and some others on the board once a year, and the fans are likely to be consulted with and listened to more generally. But it’s not like you can ring up and demand someone sacks the manager. Well you could, but they won’t.

21 hours ago, Sainteesean said:

Only as a last resort.

I was thinking more about who is running the club than ownership, the Directors that have been involved in running saints over the years are largely saints fans. 

With the current Directors (ex Stevie who wants to step down) and recruitment of new Directors and a couple of fans representatives the club would be in great hands going forward.

Geoff can donate his shareholding to the club or keep it if he wants, its about who's running it going forward that matters.

The Browns and others have done a fantastic job for saints but there is no reason to believe a group of talented Directors could not do the same going forward.

I don't know if Geoff wants to profit from the sale of saints, I don't think that would be in his best interests, I hope that he is much more interested in the saints brand being safe for many years to come.

Geoff has already established a legacy through his Charity work and this is just something else that he could do that would protect the football club for years to come. I would much rather a dedicated saints supporting Board ran the club than some American Business who would see saints as a disposable toy.